Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Destination: MAINE

Well, I'm finally on the road!!

First stop: Jekyll Island, GA. I'm spending a long weekend at the resort with my friend Christa and her son Curtis. We got on the road faaaarrr later than we'd intended yesterday. We got into the campground after dark last night and had to set up with the flashlight! But, I managed it!

Here are a first few pictures of our set up. The campground is VERY crowded! But so far, I haven't seen another Airstream.

Pictures:
.Mac Web Gallery

I can't quite figure out how to upload them here...

Here's the link to my whole site:
http://web.mac.com/ihayley

Hayley
iHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Nice looking rig you have there. And that looks like quite a pleasant campsite.

I think you'll like Maine, in case you haven't been there before. I hadn't, but spent most of last summer near Ogunquit on a project for work, and loved it. Very friendly folks, pretty countryside.

Be sure and stop in at the Maine Diner in Wells, if you follow the coast at all. Great food (too much of it!) H-u-g-e "diner" type menu, all of it good, and generous proportions that are fresh and well-prepared. Great prices. I still have my tee-shirt complete with a moose on it!

Should meniotn that the parking lot is fairly easy in and out, and I would say that you shouldn't have a problem parking there, although I wouldn't try it on the Fourth of July weekend! You are minutes from the beaches and traffic can get like downtown Manhattan on the holiday weekends...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hayley,

Great to meet you today! Hope you have a good trip...tell dad to come see me!

Love your website...I will try to keep up with you on your journey!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Let me recommend a side-trip to Swan's Island ME. I don't think you can take the AS on the Ferry but it's a beautiful ride and a very interesting destination.

Swan's Island, Maine - Swans Island
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
So I'm TOTALLY behind on updating this thread! I've be catching up on some other parts of the forums, and sorting through my photos. I'm crashing at my Dad's in KC at the moment, mooching his internet connection.

Cocoa Beach was FABULOUS!! I'm working on updating my site, so the photos will steadily work their way on there.

So Kansas City wound up being a whopper of a detour, but it took me through Arkansas. It was wonderful! I stayed at Petit Jean State Park, which was lovely. Two days was not enough time. Again, pictures forthcoming.

Along the way I stopped in at Airstream of Arkansas, and I just want to give a big shout-out to Gene and Bill there. My rig was making horrible groaning noises, and I wasn't sure I had the weight distribution bars set up right. Turned out, I didn't. They taught me out to set it up right, greased up the connections, and did a little training. They also fixed the cover on my refridgerator, which had broken off, and ground down the oversized cap on my sewer hose so that it would fit in the storage tube. They were AWESOME! And I got free swag. Thanks guys!

So, question du jour -- I have foolishly not made plans for the 4th of July, and I'm realizing now that I may have trouble getting in somewhere. I'm planning on heading back east no further south than I-70, leaving here most likely on Monday morning. On my way back east, where should I spend the holiday? Any other suggestions for stopovers?

Hayley
Old 06-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Are you still going to Maine? If you are going thru RI, go Newport . One of my favorite places on the east coast. If you have a few hours, visit the Breakers or the marble house. The views in Newport are some of the best on the coast. Great seafood too!!!

I'll be up that way visiting Dad in august, have a great trip.

George
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
If you get as far east as Indianapolis, Camp Atterbury (Indiana Natl Guard) is about 25 miles south of I70 there. Cheap ($15), full hook-ups, free internet, cheap laundry, small PX, nice pool. I suspect you could get in without any problems for the 4th.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
More Photos & Plans of the Factory

Yup, still ultimately to Maine, since I'm moving there.

Okay, I have a bunch of photos from Patrick AFB FamCamp up on my site at http://web.mac.com/ihayley. I have a hard time figuring out how to post them on there, so I'll just leave it at that. More coming of Cocoa Beach and ultimately Arkansas. I need to get them done before I leave tomorrow!

So after much deliberation and pouring over maps with Dad, here's the new plan -- I'm going through OH so I can visit the Airstream Factory and take the tour, then on to DC for the holiday weekend. I'm planning to stay on Andrews AFB, assuming I get in -- they're calling me back on Monday -- the backup plan is either Meade or Annapolis. Hopefully that all works out. I'm taking a big of a risk by planning it this late, but we'll see. I'd like to actually be in DC for the holiday. I hear the fireworks on the mall are amazing! After the holiday weekend, I'm going to start working North. Looking at staying in southern New York state one night, then maybe Boston for a few days, and then Brunswick.

Anybody have any good tips on touring the Airstream Factory? Do I need to call ahead? Times I should know?

Hayley