Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Colorado Destination Recommendation?

Hi,

We're looking for a little help...

We're hoping to get out for our first weekend in our Safari next weekend (19th-21st September -- supposing the brake parts get here early enough to be in and tested before then .)

We live on the north end of Denver and are looking for suggestions for an easy Friday afternoon trip to a family friendly (and Airstream friendly) campground. We have a seven year-old daughter and a one-year old son (and a standard poodle.) Fishing and walking attractions close by are bonuses.

This would be for just the two nights.

Thanks...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jenniekiki.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	3075  
Bob Boucneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Though I don't know how A/S friendly it is, what about Rocky Mt National Park? I'm guessing you're maybe an hour or so away. Very awesome and pretty quiet this time of year. If you go, check to see if Trail Ridge Road is open. Good luck. - Roy
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Anytime we have needed to stay near Denver - we stay at Chief Hosa campground - on I-70 just outside of Denver.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Here are a few RV parks:

http://www.estes-park.com/yogi/
Looks very children friendly!

http://www.estes-park.com/koa/

KOA locations in Colorado:
http://www.koa.com/where/co/
We camped at the KOA in Gould 3.5 Hours from Loveland!

Garden of the Gods:
http://www.gocampingamerica.com/gardenofthegods/

Guide to camping in Colorado:
http://www.campcolorado.com/index2.html

Good luck, have fun and let us know where you went!
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:16 AM   #5
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
If you want to go to the mountains, I second Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. The Peak-toPeak highway from Nederaland to Blackhawk is really beautiful, but not much for the kids.... If you want to stay on the flats, Garden of the Gods in Colorado springs is really awesome!

I am so jealous. I used to live in Colorado, I sure miss the beauitful landscape. No matter where you choose, take some pictures and post them into an album on www.AirstreamPhotos.com so we can see, please!

Have fun!

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 07:30 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Colorado Destination

What about west on I-70? Glenwood Springs has the hot springs pool, Aspen is close, and that weekend is the Snowmass hot air balloon festival. The fall color should be starting by then. I expect to be at the Aspen-Basalt campground with the '70 and working a balloon at 6:30 each morning at Snowmass. Should be a good test for the brakes - Eisenhower tunnel and Vail Pass downgrades - DON'T USE BRAKES ONLY, DOWN SHIFT!!! Amazing how may hot brakes and even brake fires we see up here. Enjoy.

P.S.: If you do Estes, the elk rut should be just starting and the horsebend area of Rocky Mtn NP is great at sunset for elk herds.
BruceACampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I "second" all the locations suggested ~ we are going to be at Mountaindale Campground in the foothills above Colo Spgs the following weekend if you would like to join us there! Where ever you decide...enjoy!

Shari

Bruce...check your private messages ~
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
My wife and I spend a week at Spruce Lake RV Park in Estes Park this summer. Very kid friendly with a trout stocked lake and a heated swimming pool. You likely need to call for availability.
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:26 AM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
more ideas

Good Morning - I have a few more campgrounds for you. In Estes Park, we stayed at a full hookup that backs to the Big Thompson river (there are sites on or off the river) called Manor Park RV. You could fish the river (we saw father/son catch several large trout one day) from your site! Easy access to Rky Mt. Park.

Manor Park webpage

If you don't need full hkup. Moraine Park CG in RMNP is very nice. Large, but should be somewhat quiet at this time of year. There is no more reservation setup at this time of year.

Again, if no hkup is needed there is a beautiful area called Twin Lakes on the pass road (Hwy 82) to Aspen (south of Leadville) The CG is called Whitestar. It has a dump station and the lower camp area was just renovated this year. The lakes and scenery are spectacular!! We were there in June and were 1 of three campers. Host says July/Aug. are the big months. I will attempt to post a pic today of our trailer at a camp site there.

Finally, the Great Sand Dunes CG was a fantastic place for us to camp with our kids. They loved playing in the sand and climbing around. There were other great hiking opportunities, the weather at this time of year is not burning hot and I believe the San Luis Lakes are close by. Don't know how the fishing is there, but I have heard it is great for bird watching.

We just got thru winterizing, I am sad! Have a great weekend (and fun choosing). Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:18 PM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Picture of Twin Lakes

Like i said, it was beautiful here!. Leigh
Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Easy Friday Afternoon Trip

If you want to stay close by, I'd take I-70 to Frisco. Just southeast of town off of Route 9 is a really great National Forest campground. I don't know about off-season, but during the summer it fills up quickly. The sites are nice and the campground abuts Dillon Reservoir. Take your bikes because there are a lot of trails. The Backcountry Brewery has good food.
Have fun.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Smile San Juan Mts Pagosa Springs area

We just got back from a two week trip to the San Jaun Mountains, we stayed at the Sportsman Supply campground, 18 mile north of Pagosa Springs.

Williams Creek reservoir is nearby and the fishing was great.

It would be a substantial drive from Denver but it is a great location, elev 8100', near good hiking, fishing, and a beautiful location.

The people running it were very nice and you will definitely feel like you have gotten out of the big city.

They have a web site but it was down when I searched for it so I can't post a link right now.
5W-30 Synthetic
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:13 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Bob - was wondering if you got in your trip as planned. And with all the destination ideas posted, which, if any, did you take? Always like to hear if travelers had a good time in case I want to try same place. Would love to hear all about it> Leigh
Old 10-01-2003, 03:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

On your next trip, you may want to cross the hill and head over to the western slope.

Ridgway State Park was named on the top state parks in the country by National Geographic Adventure. Views of the San Juans, one of the prettiest reservoirs in the state, top notch trout fishing on the Uncompaghre River, tons of kid-friendly stuff on site, minutes to the towns of Montrose, Ridgway, Ouray, and Telluride.

The best part of the park is that few people from the Front Range know about it. So, keep it quiet!
docbluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote