Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Filling fresh water through filter

How many here run their water through a filter when filling the fresh water tank?
Old 09-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #2

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Definitely! It helps minimize the issues with the hot water mixing valve.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
We do always. I know that it won't make unsafe water safe, but there are lots of other things that can be in the water like sand, rust particles, etc. that we don't want to get into the plumbing. Just takes one grain of sand to play havoc with the seals in a water pump.

We use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Always use the filter on the supply hose when filling onboard freshwater tank. So far, so good.

I did have to replace the onboard water pump as a result of a defective check valve. My freshwater tank kept filling up. The trailer was only couple months old so I just choked it up to a bad pump. replaced it and no problems since.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Same for me. Always filtered.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
We always run through our Clearsource filter when filling the freshwater tank.

One related thing we have tweaked is the hoses we use. We started out with a 7/16" hose, and have since moved to a Water Right 1/2" hose (they make very good hoses), which has noticeably cut our time at the filling stations. Between the trailer and water filter, we use a 4ft Camco (because WR does not make very short hoses).
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We do, but my brother doesn't. His thought is that by filtering out the chlorine, you are creating a potentially unhealthy environment in the tank. I sanitize our tank once a year with bleach and figure that is the better approach.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Always filter the water and throw in a dash of bleach for good measure. I've been drinking from a cistern for over 50 years and I'm still here.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
We do, but my brother doesn't. His thought is that by filtering out the chlorine, you are creating a potentially unhealthy environment in the tank. I sanitize our tank once a year with bleach and figure that is the better approach.
Some filters claim to remove chlorine and some do not.

I always filter, except when I'm filling at home where I have known good water.

When I'm filling for the start of a trip, and haven't used the trailer for a while, I usually fill & drain the tank once or twice to freshen it, and add a bit of bleach on the final fill. I don't usually add bleach on subsequent fills, but will if I expect to not use tank water for a while.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #10
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post

We've been drinking our well water for decades with no ill effects. Millions of people do the same. Chlorine in your water is not necessary, and I doubt the residual trace in city water has any long-lasting sanitation effect.

However often a well is tested though, ours like many others will occasionally pump up some sand or fine silt. This is why we use a filter. It's not nearly as harmful to us as it is to the plumbing.

Like you, we do the annual tank sanitizing and I think it's more than adequate for normal use.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
We sanitize once a year and sanitize the whole system. i have a 6GAL refill can and a pump / hose mounted in the reefer compartment to pump the 6 gal into the fresh water tank. We put some diluted Clorox in the 6 gal, through the pump and then into the fresh tank and sanitize the rest of the system normally. For the rest of the year, no water gets into any part of the system without running through a filter. I replace the filter when I sanitize (yearly).
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:39 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Always run water through the system. It's for the trailer plumbing and not for us. One micron solids filter, half micron carbon block and a demineralizer. We also treat the water with Purogene as required.

Up here in the PNW we are pretty lucky to have good water in a lot of places.
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Does anyone run their fresh tank water through a softener? Wondering whether the flow rate would make that less than ideal. Something like this:

https://www.portablewatersoftener.co...KU=OTG2-DSOFT2
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Yes, we use the "standard" On The Go model. We got it when we were doing a multi-month volunteer gig at Kartchner Caverns SP, which is a limestone mountain. The water was very hard, and we noticed issues after about three weeks. We put vinegar in the system for half a day to reduce the deposits. Then we got the softener and it kept the issues from returning.

We continue to use it even at places with not-so-hard water.

It does not reduce flow by much. We run a Camco filter between the spigot and softener, and the filter itself reduces flow by a lot. I measured the flow rate on city water at my house once (62 PSI):
No filter or softener: 7.1 Gallons per minute
Filter, no softener: 2.3 GPM
Filter and softener: 2.2 GPM
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #15
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
Does anyone run their fresh tank water through a softener? Wondering whether the flow rate would make that less than ideal.
Aside from the flow rate issue, there's also the concern about how much sodium it would add to your drinking water, if all incoming water is softened. In our area (which has fairly hard water), softening adds 500-600 mg of sodium per gallon, which can be significant if you're trying to limit your sodium intake.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
How many here run their water through a filter when filling the fresh water tank?
I do.
I used to use the inline Camco filter that just laid on the ground. Like a big cigar. Then I learned the filter material was charcoal granules, and when laying horizontally, the granules fell to the bottom and the water passed right over them.
So I've changed to a Camco canister type that sits upright. It uses the 2.5" x 10" cartridges. I still use charcoal because I don't drink the tap water so I don't feel I need 5 micron filtration. I use quick connects so anything can be removed or added without unscrewing the hose.

I also have a 4" x 10" Hansing canister filter, but that thing's a beast, I'd rather not lug it around.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
I use a dual filter housing to get down to 0.2 micron. Every drop going in is filtered, except the black tank flush. I get strange looks everywhere I go.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #18
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I use a dual filter system from amazon, keep it in a milk carton
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:03 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I only go on one trip a year where I need to carry in water from home. I sanitize prior to that trip. I do carry a small amount of water in the fresh tank for toilet flushing and that water is added from my home water outlets which are very clean. If I need additional water when camping (and no city water is at my site), I carry 3 empty 7 gallon water containers and will filter the water going into those containers prior to pouring the contents into my fresh water tank. Sometimes I may also fill those containers from my home outlet.

There is a filter connected to my water pump that filters the water that that comes from the fresh water tank. That filter is a particulate filter only and I replaced it after 15 years of use. Most of the particulates in it came from a single campground that contained a lot of sediment in it's water system. I think it came from a fill of my fresh water tank back when my trailer was new and I wasn't using a filter at that time.

When I'm at any campground with water hookups, I always use a filter that takes care of particulates and water quality issues.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We switched from the blue Camco filter to the green Clear2O filter which is a 2-stage system. I like it better than the Camco filter. The first filter gets dirt and sediment. The second filter is a solid block rather than granules like the Camco filter. I feel that it does a better job. I also sanitize my system with bleach per Airstream recommendations each year.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote