Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marshall , Texas
Fantastic Fan while boondocking

Will the fantastic fan motor last all night while boondocking with my stock battery setup on a 2019 Flying Cloud 25FB? We are doing some harvest host stops in the next few weeks and I'd like to run the Fantastic Fan but I don't want to use up all the power so I can't use the electric jack the next day.
AggieStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
There are so many variables here this is not even close to being a yes-or-no question.

— what condition are your batteries in? (If they are original they are near the end of life.)
— what state of charge are they at when the night begins?
— what other electrical uses are on?
— what speed are you running the fan?
— one fan, or two?

Measured by a shunt based battery monitor (Victron 712) my single Fantastic fan draws about 1 amp at low speed and about 2 amps at high speed. Over a ten hour night this is 10-20 amp hours, or about 10-20% of the capacity of fully charged and healthy “stock” batteries. So, you may or may not make it.

If you install such a monitor you can tell at any moment the remaining amp hours in your batteries and measure the precise draw of all demands. With this info you can make informed decisions as you go.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I wouldn't do it. Use the fan to open the vent, then turn the fan off, and open a window on the other side of the trailer for a cross-breeze.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
With two fully charged batteries and no other major draw appliances running, probably.

Run the water pump for a few showers, maybe.

Power the television via the inverter to watch a couple of hours of sitcoms in the evening, and I'd say probably will be a nail biter if you make it at all.

Getting a shunt based battery monitor as mentioned above would be a great help in doing the math so you can calculate these things. It's just amps in and amps out - simple math equation once you have all the required data. Then just solve for X (with X being time).

All depends on how much battery capacity you have and if you have solar to help keep up with the load.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Two Places , Sticks & Bricks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieStream View Post
Will the fantastic fan motor last all night while boondocking with my stock battery setup on a 2019 Flying Cloud 25FB? We are doing some harvest host stops in the next few weeks and I'd like to run the Fantastic Fan but I don't want to use up all the power so I can't use the electric jack the next day.
The tongue jack on my trailers will work when the tow vehicle is connected, even if the battery's charge is low.
(1973 31' Excella, 1978 31' Excella, 1987 32' Excella, 1999 30' Excella, 2000 25' Safari)
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
If your batteries are charged going in to it, and you behave as though you are tent camping, I say yes, you'll have no problems.

We too have a stock 2019 with the Lifeline AGM's. We use a rechargeable light when the sun goes down, don't use the inverter for anything, and have no problems with the batteries doing the job. Ya just have to use some common sense. Like I said, act like you're tent camping and you should be fine.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Fans on at night

We have a 2007 25'Classic with 2 lead acid RV batteries. I have run both Maxair fans all night long numerous times with no problems at all. As per another post, your electric jack will work from the tow vehicle power even if the trailer batteries are dead.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The fans shut off based on temperature. They also shut off when the dew hits the sensor. Working out what they pull overnight is getting into a lot of "what if's".

If your batteries are truly dead ( say below 3V ), you can plug in your tow vehicle and try whatever you like. The jack isn't going to do much of anything at all. ( I have first hand experience with this). If the batteries are simply low ( say 10V ) *and* your TV energizes the 7 pin at plug in ( many don't ) you might get enough boost to run the jack.

If you have factory solar on your trailer, you have AGM batteries. If not, it came with flooded cells. AGM's typically last a while. The flooded batteries may or may not. You should have 80AH of usable capacity on flooded cells. They can easily drop to 40AH usable in the time since new ones went into your trailer originally ....

Lots of variables.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Harvest Hosts are great. For us they are the ultimate “traveling from point A to point B” overnight stay. We’ve stayed at many, and I can’t recall one situation where we have unhooked. That said, we always disconnect the 7-way plug. So, if your batteries are in good shape, use the fans. The batteries should recharge the next day, while traveling, through the 7-way.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:13 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Harvest Hosts are great. For us they are the ultimate “traveling from point A to point B” overnight stay. We’ve stayed at many, and I can’t recall one situation where we have unhooked. That said, we always disconnect the 7-way plug. So, if your batteries are in good shape, use the fans. The batteries should recharge the next day, while traveling, through the 7-way.
Hi

If you get 5A of charge current through a 7 pin, that is inline with what a lot of folks have observed. If you drive for three hours a day ( as many do ), that gets you 15AH into the batteries. If the fans pull an average of 1 A for 15 hours, you net out to zero. Drive a bit less, turn on some lights, have a bit more loss in your 7 pin setup , pull 2A on the fans.... maybe not so much.

Turn off the fan and turn on the furnace, you likely will have issues.

This is very much why shunt based monitors are worth having. You can see how things are going and adjust to the situation. You are not likely to die in one night. By the third night, you might be in trouble.

There are a number of Harvest Hosts here and there who will let you plug in a 15A cord for a bit to charge things up. They often don't advertise this, but are willing to "share" the power for a brief while. If your converter puts out 30A, plugging in for two or three hours will help things a lot. With lead acid's you won't get a full charge, but it will help. ( = lithiums charge faster ...).

Bob
Old 10-09-2022, 10:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
In the unlikely event that the jack doesn't work, know how to use the manual wrench.
I'm lucky that my Husky 5000# jack has a brake release, and the wrench socket on top is a 7/16" hex. So I just bought a 3/8" ratchet, a long extension (to clear the propane cover) and a thin wall deep socket. It actually moves so easily in manual that I'm not concerned with cranking it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:06 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Fremont , New Hampshire
Easy, just try it at home first. I did a similar experiment prior to leaving for a trip with three consecutive nights at Harvest Host. Started with my 2+ year old AGM batteries at 100%. We have a Victron BMV-712 that I used for monitoring.

FOR TWO HOURS:
Turned on one overhead fan at low speed
Turned on living area overhead lights
Turned on the inverter
Turned on TV and Roku and streamed

After two hours, Batteries were at 91%
Turned off overhead lights, TV, Roku, Inverter
Left fan on

After 6 more hours (8 hours since test start), Batteries were at 86%
Turned fan off
Turned lights on
Turned Inverter on
Brewed 12 cups of coffee with electric coffee pot (850 watts)

Completion of test, Batteries were at 74% (12.48V).

2020 Flying Cloud 26 RBT
2020 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn / 6.4L / 3.73
depot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:08 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
In the unlikely event that the jack doesn't work, know how to use the manual wrench.
I'm lucky that my Husky 5000# jack has a brake release, and the wrench socket on top is a 7/16" hex. So I just bought a 3/8" ratchet, a long extension (to clear the propane cover) and a thin wall deep socket. It actually moves so easily in manual that I'm not concerned with cranking it.
Hi

+1

There are a lot of variations out there in terms of manual override on the power jack. Working out what's what at 7 AM in the rain is not any fun. Some are pretty simple, others, not so much.

Bob
Old 10-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slofoks View Post
We have a 2007 25'Classic with 2 lead acid RV batteries. I have run both Maxair fans all night long numerous times with no problems at all. As per another post, your electric jack will work from the tow vehicle power even if the trailer batteries are dead.
As a couple of folks above have noted your jack will work off of your tv battery. It’s also worth knowing that hand cranking the jack is actually quite easy to do if ever needed. I discovered this after my jack switch burned up a few years ago. Probably best to try this when it is convenient and not needed rather than in a pouring thunderstorm some morning as your check out time from the camp ground is approaching!
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote