Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Ceiling Skin Rivets

We have an '18 Classic and noticed today that two of the ceiling skin rivets in the bedroom have fallen out. Wondering if this is an indication of a far more serious problem or something that is known to happen but not indicate anything more significant?

There is no apparent or visible surface damage or change in appearance to the walls/skins or otherwise, albeit we did recently have the trailer in for the Alde TSB and other service (just last week) to include them having pulled the air intakes in the BR ceiling to gain access to and clear the rear HVAC condensation drain hose.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Most likely it’s the “known to happen but nothing more significant” part. Lots of flex when traveling and you get a few rivets popped in the beginning. Just replace and mark them if you like (I circle the ones I replaced with a grease pencil) just to make sure nothing else happening. I replaced 4-5 inside mainly above my dinette and one or two on the outside of the coach. I have never had them pop after I replaced them. One of those special trade marks of owning an Airstream. Stay safe.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
We have an '18 Classic and noticed today that two of the ceiling skin rivets in the bedroom have fallen out. Wondering if this is an indication of a far more serious problem or something that is known to happen but not indicate anything more significant?

There is no apparent or visible surface damage or change in appearance to the walls/skins or otherwise, albeit we did recently have the trailer in for the Alde TSB and other service (just last week) to include them having pulled the air intakes in the BR ceiling to gain access to and clear the rear HVAC condensation drain hose.
One of the old " everybody knows that" subjects from many, many years ago was that of missing interior rivets or ceiling punctures by the bulkheads. I wonder if your problem is caused by the same. The reason for it was running tires at too high air pressure causing very 'solid' hits to fasteners when potholes, bridge approaches, many miles of washboard interstates, etc were experienced. The tires themselves are part of your suspension, absorbing much shock from the roads instead of transferring the shock to the Airstream chassis and the the body. Too high pressure makes tires hard, liken to a solid rubber wheel.
Now, this will bring out a lot of ' I thinkers' and will expose even some of Jackson Centers answers given by those who haven't taken time to know their products and who as a result give out poor information.
Dont depend on me or your best friend for info- search out your answer by seeking information in owners manuals as well as tire manufacturers information known as load/rate charts. USE PROPER PSI IN YOUR TIRES! They will love you for it, your trailer will love you for it, and your wife will love you for it.
If you do that, and it continues, then just count it off a examples of poor cratsmanship the day yours was built.
But then, you will still have accomplished the 3 'loves' mentioned above.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Just replace the rivets. Some flexing is natural, according to factory folks. Unlikely those will fall out again. That has been my experience.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote