Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 26
yucca valley , California
Smile Argosy interior-support where there is none, and patterns for whale tail?

Hello,
I am a trailer reno nube, but an interior designer so know my way around a job site and materials. I'm currently taking on a rennovation of a 24' Argosy 1976 that I purchased already gutted. I am turning it into a pool house and took off the tires and widened at the wheel wells. It will never be towed. We are in the insulation stage and noticed that there are no support "ribs" of aluminum at the curved ends. Wondering how best to create supports to attach insulation inside, and then 1/4" plywood outside the ribs?
I am new to the forum and just starting to read previous posts about the various methods and types of materials to clad the interiors. My preference is to use 4x8 sheets of 1/4" thick red birch that I have leftover from another project. I am not a fan of the riveted metal trim at each connection of the "whale tail" and would love to get some intel on how best to approach this next phase with minimal attachment points exposed as possible (I don't mind rivets showing).

Also wondering if there are templates or patterns out there for the interior cuts and installation guidelines per specific trailer sizes or if all the interior curved ends are the same for airstreams and argosy's?

Here are some photos of where we're at in the process, the open curved areas with no aluminum ribs and a sample of the 1/4" ply I'd like to use.

Thanks for helping out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8912.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	373006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8913.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	373007  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8914.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	373008  
verokolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to AirForums!
Quote:
Originally Posted by verokolt View Post
We are in the insulation stage and noticed that there are no support "ribs" of aluminum at the curved ends.
The reason there are no ribs at the end caps, is that in Argosys the end caps are "formed steel" that support themselves - not segmented aluminum.
Quote:
Wondering how best to create supports to attach insulation inside, and then 1/4" plywood outside the ribs?
Since the trailer will not be moving anywhere <sad > it doesn't really need supports except to attach your new interior skins to and create a cavity for the insulation. So you could just glue wood ribs directly to the interior of the steel caps.
Quote:
I am new to the forum and just starting to read previous posts about the various methods and types of materials to clad the interiors. My preference is to use 4x8 sheets of 1/4" thick red birch that I have leftover from another project.
It will look nice!!!
Quote:
I am not a fan of the riveted metal trim at each connection of the "whale tail" and would love to get some intel on how best to approach this next phase with minimal attachment points exposed as possible (I don't mind rivets showing).
I think you mean "segmented end cap" not "whale tail". A "whale tail" in Airstream lingo is the exterior end cap of 1955 CA built trailers - not the interior segmented caps.

As far as other options to a segmented end with the metal strips, you could use small wood battens instead.

Wood Battens

More Rustic Option

Whale Tail Interior

You need something - as the concave curves of the interior will require that you have some seams.
Quote:
Also wondering if there are templates or patterns out there for the interior cuts and installation guidelines per specific trailer sizes or if all the interior curved ends are the same for airstreams and argosy's?
Nope. Every couple of years the concave curve changed - it depends on the number of segments used to make up the curves. The 50's trailers with 13-panels were all flat pieces of aluminum which bent in one direction - thus the number of segments was higher. As technology progressed, the end caps evolve to fewer segments and they were compound curves shaped & stretched in multiple directions - something 1/4" wood can't do. Unfortunately, you will need to make paper patterns to fit your specific curves & pattern.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote