Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
San Francisco , California
Belt Line Trim Removal Advice

I am looking at removing the beltline trim on a 71 Overlander. The trim is pulling away from the skin and looks pretty bad. I would like to simplify the exterior look a little as well.

Has anyone done the same who could post some images of the results and offer a little advice? I assume I need to go back after the trim is off with Olympic rivets to seal up the skin.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban71 View Post
I am looking at removing the beltline trim on a 71 Overlander. The trim is pulling away from the skin and looks pretty bad. I would like to simplify the exterior look a little as well.

Has anyone done the same who could post some images of the results and offer a little advice? I assume I need to go back after the trim is off with Olympic rivets to seal up the skin.

Thanks in advance!
When you remove the belt line, I think you will find that the side sheet has been somewhat damaged and or discolored by the belt line moldings.

That molding would only pull away if the trailer has been subjected to severe vibration, such as caused by a super heavy duty tow vehicle, and/or excessive rated hitch bars, and/or a bad axle/axles, or a combination of those.

That molding "does not" fail by itself.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
San Francisco , California
Thank you Andy - the failure has happened at a few spots, not all the way around the unit. Does it provide seam support / protection? I don't want to open a can here by removing it. I saw in a previous post that in 71 AS utilized a tape on the beltline. Is that still available?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban71 View Post
Thank you Andy - the failure has happened at a few spots, not all the way around the unit. Does it provide seam support / protection? I don't want to open a can here by removing it. I saw in a previous post that in 71 AS utilized a tape on the beltline. Is that still available?
The top belt line molding covers some of the lower sheet/window sheet seam.

It's strickly decorative.

It's better to paint the blue stripe instead of tape. The tape has a short life.

The tape has not been available for at least 35 years, but it should be available locally. Everyone will tell you don't, but it's your choice.

Anyd
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote