Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Addressing Belt Line Corrosion

Lucy is a 2005 25FB that I have had since new. Like many other late model Aistreams, Lucy has a certain amount of that white corrosion around her belt line.

Obviously, I don't like it, but I have decided not to worry about. Lucy is out and going so much, that I haven't really thought about doing anything about it.

Recently, while Lucy was at Sutton Airstream in Eugene, Oregon, having a complete brake and bearing replacement, I had plenty of time to look around at the new Airstreams on the lot.

I noticed that some of the Airstreams had the exposed belt line rivets just like Lucy. I also noticed that others had a plastic chrome rub strip of about 1" in width covering the belt line rivets and panel seam.

I am considering adding this strip to Lucy to cover the corrosion. I think that is a pretty clean look. On the other hand, covering the belt line rivets may take away some of the traditional Airstream look.

I am posting a photo of each taken on Sutton's lot.

Tell me what y'all think

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4134.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	85952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4135.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	85953  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brian, we had the "chrome" strip added at the factory a couple of months ago to prevent corrosion and we like the way it looks. There are still plenty of rivets to look at. It seems some of the new FC's have the strip and others don't. It also covered a scratch that went along the beltline for about 8 feet, so it has double use for us.

Since you already have corrosion, I think you'll have to stop it's progress first or it may keep going past the strip even though covered.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Really, is this the only discussion on this matter? This is so common, especially on the Safari! I am interested in a chemical that will neutralize this proses . Or is it actually electrolysis causing it.
amswoodie is offline   Reply With Quote