Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
portable surgeprotectors??

Does it make any difference if the portable surgeprotector is attached between the pedestal and extension cord or the extension cord and the trailer/van connection???

Thank you for your interest in helping this fairly new retiree.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
I'm also interest in the replays to this as I'm thinking of shortening my shore line and hiding the surge protector in the trunk of our '75 Overlander due to posts I've see about theft of them.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It makes no difference, but they make the same protectors designed to be mounted inside your unit, and hard wired into place. That's what I did, and so I know it's always in place, and always protecting my appliances.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Doesn't make any difference. Only advantage to portable one is that it is easy to replace if it gets toasted. The hard wired ones, not so much. FWIW I have never had one stolen in 15 years of using them, and have never heard of one being stolen in any campground I have ever stayed in.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just more of my opinion here, but I installed the permanent unit because I didn't want to have to haul out yet another device every time I hooked up to utilities, especially something that needed to be protected from rain, and possible theft.

With the water hose, water filter, power cord, and most times either the satellite dish or the cable hookup, felt like that was already too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge protector.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	233181  
Old 02-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
One of the benefits of a plug-in style unit is the ability to still be operational IF it does it's job and blows itself up!

If you hardwire the unit in to the trailer and it senses a surge and self immolates, you have to wire a bypass to be able to still use the trailer. With the portable unit, simply unplug, move to another site and plug back in until you can get a replacement.

I have never heard of a theft in 15 years or RVing, but they do make a large plastic hasp as a means of deterrent. If someone wants anything bad enough, they will find a way. At least this will usually make the casual thieves think twice and look elsewhere.......
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use the portable plug-in type. I considered the wire-in type, but was concerned that we would be out of business if it had to do its job. As Lew said, if our plug-in blows out, we can move to another site and we're back in business.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Portable here also... I didn't scrimp, IMHO low voltage protection is the problem thats more likely, auto shut down will save all that 'needed' stuff we take along.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Actually, the "wired in unit" is quite a bit more sophisticated than a protector that simply "blows itself up".

Basically, it's a voltage, current, and frequency monitor that closes a relay when it sees that everything is correct. Any time it senses voltage too high, to low, frequency off, current too high, or a ground fault, it disconnects the relay and turns off the power to the RV. When conditions return to normal, it will reenergize the relay and power returns.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Actually, the "wired in unit" is quite a bit more sophisticated than a protector that simply "blows itself up".

Basically, it's a voltage, current, and frequency monitor that closes a relay when it sees that everything is correct. Any time it senses voltage too high, to low, frequency off, current too high, or a ground fault, it disconnects the relay and turns off the power to the RV. When conditions return to normal, it will reenergize the relay and power returns.
And if it gets a zap from lightning or a severe voltage spike it is toast. There is no functional difference between the portable and the hard wired units that I am aware of, other than the ease of replacement of the portable unit and the ability to easily bypass it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
And if it gets a zap from lightning or a severe voltage spike it is toast. There is no functional difference between the portable and the hard wired units that I am aware of, other than the ease of replacement of the portable unit and the ability to easily bypass it.

Aaron
Exactly!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Lightning can and will destroy anything.

The reason I installed the unit was because we had an air conditioner fan motor burnt up from low voltage at a park in Colorado last summer. This unit would have prevented that damage.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I use a portable surge guard but whether portable or installed permanently I believe it's worth the money to protect things in the travel trailer. I have recently purchased a new TRC Model 34830 surge guard.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Just more of my opinion here, but I installed the permanent unit because I didn't want to have to haul out yet another device every time I hooked up to utilities, especially something that needed to be protected from rain, and possible theft.

With the water hose, water filter, power cord, and most times either the satellite dish or the cable hookup, felt like that was already too much.
ME TOO

But then I have a spare ... well it's for the washer and dryer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	233211  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Another vote for portable. At first I was worried about it being stolen. Having used it a while, even leaving it on the trailer in a campground while we were gone a few days, I don't worry anymore. If it gets stolen at some point I'll just have to buy another. Most campers are honest people who respect the property of others. I see people camping leave grills, televisions, generators, bicycles, expensive chairs, and other possessions of value outside their trailers without the valuables walking.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Portable

Here is mine along with the locking method I use when at an RV park. This is photographed in my garage, thus unlocked:

Voltage monitor by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

As far as I know this one monitors things, has a two minute delay while it checks out the various aspects of the source, shuts down with low voltage, and is easily stored. In my current trailer accessing the power inlet on the interior and installing a permanent unit was impractical IMO.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Interesting how a thread goes from "Does it make any difference if the portable surgeprotector is attached between the pedestal and extension cord or the extension cord and the trailer/van connection???" to a poll about wired in vs portable surge protectors just because someone has a different opinion, or desire, and voices it.

It seemed to me if someone was interested in having the surge protector on the other end of the cord, the inside unit was an obvious choice, but I guess not.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
Here is a response from Progressive Industries on the EMS-HW30C on the hard wired unit.

​If the surge protection devices give their all while protecting your
coach, you will see an E10 error code. You would then need to contact

us and obtain a replacement circuit board (The surge protection and control
circuitry are on different boards). The circuitry would permit you

to continue to power your coach, without using the bypass switch.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me.

Regards, Donald, Customer Support 919 267-6948
Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is a response from Progressive Industries on the EMS-HW30C on the hard wired unit.

​If the surge protection devices give their all while protecting your
coach, you will see an E10 error code. You would then need to contact

us and obtain a replacement circuit board (The surge protection and control
circuitry are on different boards). The circuitry would permit you

to continue to power your coach, without using the bypass switch.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me.

Regards, Donald, Customer Support 919 267-6948
That is great... for that specific model. There are at least 4 different brands of surge protector that I am aware of.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
Does it make any difference if the portable surgeprotector is attached between the pedestal and extension cord or the extension cord and the trailer/van connection???

Thank you for your interest in helping this fairly new retiree.
It shouldn't matter, but you can't plug the surge protector into your trailer connection as it's a different plug type than the pedestal so your cord has a different plug type on each end. The trailer uses a twist type outlet and the pedestal a push type outlet like the surge protector uses. The only place you can use the protector is at the pedestal.