Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2003, 02:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Portable Jump Starter

Greetings,

I am in the market for a portable jump starter and I am looking at three different brands.

I am wondering if anyone has any preference towards any of them. They are:

Jump-N-Carry
Schumacher
Coleman

From what I am hearing, if you want a top of the line professional model, the Jump-N-Carry is the way to go.

Is anyone familiar with the products? My objective is to find a top of the line jump starter that can start anything from a small car to a large SUV.

Thanks.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
what ya gonna use it for?

josh

i can't speak to the merits of any particular model. i don't have one. just jumper cables.

i do have a friend who is very absent minded when it comes to vehicles. he uses his all the time. with good success. even starts his farm tractors with it.

i do know they have power ports on them for cigarette lighter powered items. handy to have if you are away from your vehicle.

you won't find much need for it on your new chevy, the body control computer on all post '99 chevs will shut off anything left on after 20 min. lights radio etc.

if you want one for added piece of mind i say go for it!

john
Old 10-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

John,

The jump starter is not for my truck. I am one of those guys who has everyone calling him asking for a jump. I figured that it couldn't hurt to have a unit anyways.

After really looking into it, I went with the Jump-N-Carry unit. It is a professional grade model and should be perfect for my needs.

Josh
Old 10-12-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
josh

good idea, i have the same problem.

everyone on my block thinks i am mr. fixit. i don't use my truck for jumpstarting duty unless an absoulute emergency. just a little leary of doing damage to the computers or the charging system.

my truck has a second battery, when the key is off it is completely isolated from the rest of the electrical system. i would use that instead of the main battery.

a guy at work jumped his ford backwards this last summer, hasn't run right since!

more often than not, i just loan people my battery charger. or use the jeep for jumping.

john
Old 10-12-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Mr. Fixit sounds like a familiar title.

Like you, I am afraid to do any damage to my truck, and do not like to use it for jump-starts unless there is a real emergency.

Regarding jumping the Ford backwards, that is always a concern and although I don't think that would happen, I just don't want to chance it.

This Jump-N-Carry unit should work perfect and I hope that I can use it in the years ahead.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Those junp n' start can be useful. Instead of using the lead acid battery to start our generator we wired the jump n' start to start it. Once started we plug the jump n' start into the generator and recharge the battey in the jump n' start when needed. It's always ready for anything. No more battery acid worries.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

These portable units are really useful and can be used in so many different ways. For the amount that they are, they really are useful to have.