Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2002, 08:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replacing Onan for a portable generator

I have come to the conclusion that I need a new generator. I have the money now and am looking at a Mitsubishi 6700 REU. Will I be able to install this unit in my motor home? It comes with a remote start cable. Has anyone installed a portable generator instead of going with the Onan? Onan just seem to be to expensive to purchase and to service. For more than half the price I can a bigger one with a littel adjusting like for the tail pipe and mufler will that work? Please feel free to advise soon. The site I found is, www.southwestfastener.com, they have a sale till the end of the year.
Thanks,
Paul Daugherty
Paul Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There is currently a discussion on this at irv2.com, in the fifth wheel and travel trailer forum. The problem is this, portable generators are designed to be operated in an open space with plenty of air circulation. RV type generators are designed to operate in enclosed spaces, and have been designed to operate from external fuel tanks or propane. Operating a portable generator in an enclosed space is asking for trouble, both the operator and generator itself are at risk.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 04:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Will it fit in the generator compartment? When I had to replace the one in my 74 Argosy the only one that would fit was the Onan. The good part of that is they are 2 cylinder and run at 1800 rpm. There is less vibration and the noise level is lower with this type of engine. Honda's are also good, but wouldn't fit through my opening.

It takes a lot of adapting any time you change. Mine was a long way from a simple r&r. I had to build all new slide mounts and carriers for the electrical and fuel line. You do need a lot of free air opening to cool these. The RV ones have a lot more ducting to provide the proper cooling. Despite the cost difference I would go with one that is designed for the limited clearance and harsher environment of a motor home.

John
Attached Images

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #4

Portage la Prairie , Manitoba
I have a 1990 Winnebago.
My Onan Emerald 1 Genset, model 4BGEFA261006 will cost from $2,500. to ??? to repir according to the Onan people here.
Do you know if portable units have been successfully installed in Motorhomes?
Any information of suggestions would be appreciated.
Barry Greenslade
cbmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Maybe you can mount a portable on a slide out tray, and slide it when in use so it is in the open air?? Just a thought. PeterH did a Honda in his moho, but it was installed in the regular way and is a bit pricier than a portable would be.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Will it fit in the generator compartment? When I had to replace the one in my 74 Argosy the only one that would fit was the Onan. The good part of that is they are 2 cylinder and run at 1800 rpm. There is less vibration and the noise level is lower with this type of engine. Honda's are also good, but wouldn't fit through my opening.

It takes a lot of adapting any time you change. Mine was a long way from a simple r&r. I had to build all new slide mounts and carriers for the electrical and fuel line. You do need a lot of free air opening to cool these. The RV ones have a lot more ducting to provide the proper cooling. Despite the cost difference I would go with one that is designed for the limited clearance and harsher environment of a motor home.

John
................I'll respond , even though this post is getting close too 4 years old . MOST , RV specific gensets run at 3600 rpm whether gas or diesel . Specifically , the TWO that Run at 1800 RPM are the Onan , 3 cylinder diesels rated for 10kw and 12kw . The 5.5kw , 6.5kw , 7.5kw , and 8kw(diesels , all).....ALL run at 3600 rpm's . And , All the Onan gas RV gensets run at 3600 rpms . r66
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
MG2

1997 31' Land Yacht
Springfield , Illinois
That's not TRUE that all gas Onan Gens. run @ 3600 RPM, my 5.5 runs @ 1800 RPM & is stated so in the Onan maintenance manual !!!!!

Also the Gen. has to be removed from the bottom, you have to ramp up the Coach & remove the bolts & drop it out of the bottom.
MG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Most older Onan's actually run at 1800 v/s 3600. My 92 Marquis 7000 is an 1800 RPM unit. Usually the newer RV gensets run at 3600. 1800 RPM produces less vibration and less noise.

One more thing to consider is duty cycle. Most "portable" generators are not designed for continuous use. Onan gensets can be had for a reasonable price used. I'd rather pay $1500 for a good low hour used Onan then a new portable genset. Easier install, more dependable and less likely to cause issues.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote