Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2018, 02:13 AM   #181
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStew View Post
Will the easy start work with a 1970 style ac unit?
Hello NoStew. Indeed, it will work. In fact, we have had a few such customers with the old "Armstrong" RV rooftop A/C units install EasyStart with success. I even ended up making wiring diagrams for them and these particular diagrams are available in our EasyStart Knowledge Bank.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:15 PM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I am convinced! I have one question though. I am not opposed to ladders but have reservations about walking around on a round roof. After knee replacement the doctor only gave me to pieces of advice: do the exercises and don't fall. Can this be done with two ladders, one on either side or is it necessary to get on the roof?
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #183
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Can this be done with two ladders, one on either side or is it necessary to get on the roof?
Hi Rocco. At the 2017 WBCCI Airstream International Rally, we did about 50 installations, some of which were accomplished with 2 ladders, one from each side. Climbing on the roof does help still, but if you had to accomplish it only from the ladders, it is feasible. We'll have 2 ladders and 2 people for this year's big rally as well in just over 3 weeks!
Old 05-31-2018, 05:01 PM   #184
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Thanks Mateo,

Good to know it can be done that way. I could have one of my sons do it but I enjoy doing things like this. Even though I have two Honda's the buzz and clunk every time the compressor starts is annoying, especially at night. And even though the Honda's are one of the quietest on the market, two of them running full tilt is pretty loud. Thanks Paisan!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #185
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
I am convinced! I have one question though. I am not opposed to ladders but have reservations about walking around on a round roof. After knee replacement the doctor only gave me to pieces of advice: do the exercises and don't fall. Can this be done with two ladders, one on either side or is it necessary to get on the roof?
You really could do it with just one ladder that you move back and forth. You would move the ladder:

1. Two remove the shroud screws from either side (there is usually one on each side near rear of AC, and two on the front, either side)

2. Street side to install the Easy Start unit, and remove putty from existing wire hole and push Easy Start wires through; then re-install putty.

3. Over to Curb Side to open electrical box, remove the two components that are taken out, Install new plastic wire grommet, attach wires as instructed.

4. Ladder on both sides again to reinstall shroud/screws.

CAVEAT: If it's a ladder that leans against the trailer, carefully protect the trailer. If a step ladder, be sure it's sturdy and HIGH enough. Be CARFEFUL leaning on a stepladder so that you don't apply pressure out away from the trailer and tip it! Be careful and good luck!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #186
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
The guys at Intermountain AS said they could install if needed. I did ours last weekend and don't live too far away from you. When I did our, I never walked on the roof. I butt scooted along the roof tho. The transition from the ladder to the roof was the worst part.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #187
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’ve been dragging my feet on the install. Just been too busy. Hope to try it today, or tomorrow. I’ve got the older model of the easystart it isn’t waterproof. Going into the smaller AC, on my 23. Anyone done one of those with the older Easystart? Is there room for it in a dry place? How long did the install take?
Thx
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #188
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Is there room for it in a dry place? How long did the install take?
Hi Jeff. Does your 23 have the original Dometic Penguin (I) or the newer Penguin II (2014 trailers and newer)? If it's the Penguin II, with some extra effort and subtle "hackery" of the black-enclosure EasyStart, you can make it fit inside of the electric box. I can fill you in on more details once you confirm your exact A/C model. The entire job shouldn't take you more than an hour.

UPDATE: Sorry - I answered my own question by looking at your avatar photo and description. Your 2011 certainly has the Dometic Penguin (I). Check out the attachment to this post now. It has a report of an installation I did into a Dometic Penguin II with the older, black-enclosure EasyStarts. I believe you should be able to accomplish the same thing inside the original Penguin (I) since it has roughly the same size electric box.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #189
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m in a pickle now. I’ve trimmed the tabs off of the easy start, and it’s still too big to fit into the electrical box. The circuit board for the AC electric controls is in the way. There’s not enough space from where the circuit board ends to the end of the box.. Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #190
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
I’m in a pickle now. I’ve trimmed the tabs off of the easy start, and it’s still too big to fit into the electrical box. The circuit board for the AC electric controls is in the way. There’s not enough space from where the circuit board ends to the end of the box.. Any suggestions?
Have no fear! Per your PM, I'll be calling you shortly to help you out.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #191
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Yes it is the transition that always bothers me too. I think that I will end up doing the same thing. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #192
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Have no fear! Per your PM, I'll be calling you shortly to help you out.
We’ll get this solved soon. I’ll make a trip to Home Depot. I just hope I can get it (EasyStart) crammed in to the electric box, and get it closed back up..

Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #193
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
When I did mine, I had to drill a hole in the sheet metal on the electrical box, install a grommet and mounted it in the fan box as shown in This document.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #194
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShullsinUtah View Post
When I did mine, I had to drill a hole in the sheet metal on the electrical box, install a grommet and mounted it in the fan box as shown in This document.

Thanks. I ordered early and bought the non-waterproof version, so I’m really trying to get it into the elec box. It’s just a very tight fit. Then, when I was moving the run cap some of the wires cane off the three different terminals. Now I’m a bit concerned about getting everything back where it’s supposed to be.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #195
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Thanks. I ordered early and bought the non-waterproof version, so I’m really trying to get it into the elec box. It’s just a very tight fit. Then, when I was moving the run cap some of the wires cane off the three different terminals. Now I’m a bit concerned about getting everything back where it’s supposed to be.
Gotcha.

Good luck. With Micro-air's help, things should be that hard to figure out. I took pics of everything before I started so I'd have a "map" to get back to square one if needed.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #196
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
EasyStart Install -- in One Image

Thank you Mateo!! Your advice really helped!

Got er done! Five start ups all ok. I’m not going to test w generator today. It’s still set for +5000’ on the carb jetting, and winterized. I can definitely tell the much slower and quieter ramp up of the compressor! Lovely wife will like this change.. [emoji6]

Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #197
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Jensen Beach , Florida
Yet another successful EasyStart installation - on our 2017 Int'l 27FB w Penguin II 15K.
I used Micro-Air's directions for this exact unit and it went smoothly - although not that easy for a 73-yo climbing on the roof. Here are some photos...

Box installed on the port side.

The control box on the starboard side.

Control box close-up - labelled.

Wiring completed, un-needed parts removed.

I did the requisite five starts with shore power from a home 15-A outlet - using a 30A adaptor.

Then... I connected our new propane-converted Honda EU2200iC, and Voilà!

Happy to report that the AC starts and runs happily on the generator - even in Ecco mode.
HClews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #198
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by HClews View Post

Then... I connected our new propane-converted Honda EU2200iC, and Voilà!
Happy to report that the AC starts and runs happily on the generator - even in Ecco mode.
I am SO envious of your generator...bought my 2000i a year too soon. I would love to have that extra 10% power, plus the improvement to the oil draining routine. My propane 2000i can't keep my AC going, but I am at 6400 feet elevation, and lose 10-12% power because of that. On top of the slight loss of power when switching from gas to propane. I wonder if that extra 200 watts would do it for me at elevation. In any case, glad to hear the 2200 on propane gets your running...nice work.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #199
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Jensen Beach , Florida
Sorry about those giant photos! I now see there's a way to add "Thumbnails" by downloading the jpeg files. Still getting the hang of this...

Henry
(I see I've graduated from a Newby to 1-Rivet Member. Whoo-hoo!)
HClews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #200
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Success! Thanks to everyone on this thread for your help. I was able to install using a ladder and without getting completely on the roof. The pictures have been a great help. I noticed on about the 5th compressor start that I could here it start but not feel the vibration that accompanied the start before the install. I used a 20 amp garage outlet and the 30 amp shore chord also turning off the converter in the camper. I will hook up one of my Honda 2000's tomorrow and test it on Eco Mode as others have done. Thank you for your help!