Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2018, 05:13 AM   #201
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Well you convinced me. Going to add this to the to do list.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #202
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Ok, a little disappointed here. Here are the facts. Successfully installed Easy Start and ran the 5 start initial setup using stable 20 amp house current. A one year old Honda 2000i Companion and regular 2000i running on fresh Ethanol free 93 octane Chevron gas. Altitude 4900 feet. With one connected using the 25' Shore cable, AC fan starts and then about 1 minute later the compressor starts. Honda ramps up and after a few seconds the RPM begins to waiver a bit and it struggles. Compressor runs for one minute and then shuts off. Honda ramps down. 5 minutes later Compressor starts and runs for 1 minute then shuts off. Same result using the other Honda by itself. Connected both units using the parallel cable and in ecco mode. After about 1 minute delay the compressor starts, both Honda's ramp up and run smoothly. Compressor runs until interior temp setting is reached.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #203
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Ok, a little disappointed here. Here are the facts. Successfully installed Easy Start and ran the 5 start initial setup using stable 20 amp house current. A one year old Honda 2000i Companion and regular 2000i running on fresh Ethanol free 93 octane Chevron gas. Altitude 4900 feet. With one connected using the 25' Shore cable, AC fan starts and then about 1 minute later the compressor starts. Honda ramps up and after a few seconds the RPM begins to waiver a bit and it struggles. Compressor runs for one minute and then shuts off. Honda ramps down. 5 minutes later Compressor starts and runs for 1 minute then shuts off. Same result using the other Honda by itself. Connected both units using the parallel cable and in ecco mode. After about 1 minute delay the compressor starts, both Honda's ramp up and run smoothly. Compressor runs until interior temp setting is reached.
Hi Rocco. Customers who have Honda EU2000i generators at ~5000' have had to install the #60 medium altitude (4000'-7000') jet kit (Honda P/N 99101-ZG0-0600). They cost less than $10. Also, I got into a debate about fuel octane for the Honda with some other customers and experts about 1 year ago. The outcome was that the engine actually performs better with standard 87 Octane fuel versus high-test 93 octane. Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #204
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:

Hopefully Matteo's suggestion will help you. We might be out of luck at elevation. I'm at 6400 feet in Park City and it's a no-go--same symptoms as you noted. There is a 2%-3.5% (according to research I've done) decrease in generator power per 1,000 feet, so you are losing 10%-17% of gen power. Maybe re-jetting will get you there if you have not yet done so. I'm 1500 feet higher and propane-converted (with a properly sized orifice for this elevation,) so there's a bit more of a hit there as well.

Also, did you turn off the breaker for your converter/charger? If it's pumping amps into the batteries, that can be enough to make a difference.

Keep us posted here, I'm curious to see how the gas-fired Honda performs at altitude.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #205
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I did turn off all possible loads. I am thinking of going to the midsize jet as suggested but just on one and leaving the other one alone so that if I go to lower altitudes I will have one set to run there. As I understand it they would be too lean at lower altitudes and might cause damage. The only Ethanol free gas I have found is the higher octane. One goal was accomplished though, I can run the AC at home on a 20 amp circuit to cool off the trailer while cleaning and tinkering. I will see if I can find one and report back.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #206
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
The only Ethanol free gas I have found is the higher octane.
Besides the higher octane not being recommended, standard E10 fuel (i.e up to 10% Ethanol) is fine for all Honda power equipment engines. Check out this link:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/supp...ecommendations.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #207
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
I did turn off all possible loads. I am thinking of going to the midsize jet as suggested but just on one and leaving the other one alone so that if I go to lower altitudes I will have one set to run there. As I understand it they would be too lean at lower altitudes and might cause damage. The only Ethanol free gas I have found is the higher octane. One goal was accomplished though, I can run the AC at home on a 20 amp circuit to cool off the trailer while cleaning and tinkering. I will see if I can find one and report back.
All my research has confirmed this...you can run the low altitude jet at higher altitudes, though the generator will run rich and maybe some power loss. But not the end of the world. But if you do convert to a high altitude Jet, it's important to not run it at low altitude, engine can overheat from running too lean.
The propane version from Genconnex comes with 3 jets (0-5,000, 5,000-8,000, and 8,000-11,000) which are very easy to change with an allen wrench, fortunately.
Yes, being able to run the AC off the garage 15 amp circuit, as well as safely run if moochdocking at other people's homes, is alone worth the Easy Start. Hopefully, most high-elevation camping locations provide enough cool air at night to not need AC, at least that's what I've discovered. So it's been all good so far. I do wish Honda had released the new 2200i that replaces the 2000i just a bit sooner (got my 2000i end of 2016.) That extra 10% of running and peak power might be just enough to get us to the finish line at our elevations.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
I suggest getting Fuel Med and mix it with the 87. I use it to store my four stroke outboards, mowers and snowmobiles. After months of storage they fire right back up. Buy a case of the little bottles and it makes it easy to add as you buy fuel.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 AM   #209
2 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , Arizona
I received my EasyStart this week, I don't have access to electricity at the storage place where I'm going to do the self install, would it be ok to do the 5 learning starts using my Westinghouse iGen2500 following your suggestions for doing it with a generator? or better wait and do the 5 learning starts at a RV Campground?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post

Since the 5 starts are precisely compared by the firmware algorithms in the EasyStart, it is important that the power source be stable and solid (i.e. utility) so that the results achieved are the best they can be. If a utility power source is not available, it is possible to use a generator or inverter source, but you must take a few extra steps in order to achieve good results.

First, you should make sure everything else inside of your trailer is turned off at the circuit breakers, especially the converter, water heater, refrigerator, etc. Second, if your generator has an ECO mode, you should make sure it is turned off. Third, if you have access to a larger generator that you can use temporarily, then go with that instead. The first startup of the five is the most critical.
Sol_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #210
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Elf View Post
I received my EasyStart this week, I don't have access to electricity at the storage place where I'm going to do the self install, would it be ok to do the 5 learning starts using my Westinghouse iGen2500 following your suggestions for doing it with a generator? or better wait and do the 5 learning starts at a RV Campground?
Hi Sol_Elf. If you can wait until you have access to utility power, then that would be preferred. If you are stuck and need the A/C beforehand, you can carry out the learning on generator using the special instructions. Worst case, you can always reset and redo the 5-start learning process on utility power per the (difficult) instructions in the installation manual online. Please contact me first if you have to do that.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #211
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Really need this...I bought a 3500 W Yamaha, and it won't start my AC! It's a 2008 International 25FB, so I'm guessing the original starting capacitor is kinda shot. What's odd, it will start off a 15 Amp line from my house, and I tested the AC with two 1800 W hairdryers, and those are fine! It *almost* starts...

Problem is, with all my paperwork from the previous owner, I don't have the AC paperwork. It's a Dometic for sure, but I don't know what model they were installing in '08.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
davloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #212
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by davloose View Post
Really need this...I bought a 3500 W Yamaha, and it won't start my AC! It's a 2008 International 25FB, so I'm guessing the original starting capacitor is kinda shot. What's odd, it will start off a 15 Amp line from my house, and I tested the AC with two 1800 W hairdryers, and those are fine! It *almost* starts...

Problem is, with all my paperwork from the previous owner, I don't have the AC paperwork. It's a Dometic for sure, but I don't know what model they were installing in '08.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Hello Davloose. Your 2008 Airstream 25FB very likely has the original Dometic Penguin (I). Its factory-installed hard start kit is likely fine, and even if it had failed, it would not have made much difference in helping your A/C to start on on your Yamaha generator.

There is no need to hunt down the paperwork. Every RV rooftop in the USA uses the same EasyStart 364 model variant, the ASY-364-X20-IP. There is also a large collection of wiring diagrams and installation photos in the EasyStart™ Knowledge Bank, including several for the original Dometic Penguin (I).

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #213
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hello Davloose. Your 2008 Airstream 25FB very likely has the original Dometic Penguin (I). Its factory-installed hard start kit is likely fine, and even if it had failed, it would not have made much difference in helping your A/C to start on on your Yamaha generator.

There is no need to hunt down the paperwork. Every RV rooftop in the USA uses the same EasyStart 364 model variant, the ASY-364-X20-IP. There is also a large collection of wiring diagrams and installation photos in the EasyStart™ Knowledge Bank, including several for the original Dometic Penguin (I).

Hope this helps.
That's awesome, appreciate the help! I'll be placing my order shortly!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #214
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
EasyStart Install -- in One Image

I had a 2008 25’ and it had a 13.5k dometic penguin I. Easy peasy install of the 364 unit. I may have pictures somewhere but just follow the instructions for the penguin II - it’s the same wiring (IVR done both now).
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #215
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I had a 2008 25’ and it had a 13.5k dometic penguin I. Easy peasy install of the 364 unit. I may have pictures somewhere but just follow the instructions for the penguin II - it’s the same wiring (IVR done both now).
Will do.. thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #216
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by davloose View Post
Will do.. thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Dav,

If you look under the Knowledge Bank you'll see there are several wiring diagrams (7) for the Penguin I. When I did mine, on the cover of the electrical panel, there is a diagram that matches the schematic listed under the knowledge bank. You'll notice on the lower right of the schematic a series of numbers. Match these two numbers from the original schematic to the wiring diagram on the knowledge bank webpage.

The hardest part was deciphering the model number on faded diagram on the inside of my unit.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.png
Views:	117
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	313816  
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #217
2 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , Arizona
Thanks for the quick answer, I'll install it this week but I think I'll wait to do the 5 learning starts until next week when I'll have shore power on a RV campground, I opened the EasyStart unit and found where the jumper switches are and I think it would be kind of hard to reach them while the units is already mounted.

By the way if you have a Dometic Penguin II this is the best video I found on how to install it:

Quote:
Hi Sol_Elf. If you can wait until you have access to utility power, then that would be preferred. If you are stuck and need the A/C beforehand, you can carry out the learning on generator using the special instructions. Worst case, you can always reset and redo the 5-start learning process on utility power per the (difficult) instructions in the installation manual online. Please contact me first if you have to do that.
Sol_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #218
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShullsinUtah View Post
Dav,

If you look under the Knowledge Bank you'll see there are several wiring diagrams (7) for the Penguin I. When I did mine, on the cover of the electrical panel, there is a diagram that matches the schematic listed under the knowledge bank. You'll notice on the lower right of the schematic a series of numbers. Match these two numbers from the original schematic to the wiring diagram on the knowledge bank webpage.

The hardest part was deciphering the model number on faded diagram on the inside of my unit.

Good luck!
OK, got it installed and working! So far so good, anyway... Did my 5 learning starts off a 20 Amp house circuit, and now I'm happily chillin' the 'stream with my generator. Happy camper.

This tip, quoted, may have been the most important! Knowing where to match up the diagrams with those at the Knowledge Bank was key. That, and a bunch of pictures in this thread. Thanks all for the boost..

It would have helped to know I need to drill that hole, I surmised as much but didn't know the right size. I had a hole saw too small, and one too large, so I picked small and trimmed the ring a bit smaller to fit it.

I'll attach my pics for the archive. First is the unit as opened, second the original wiring and last the final wiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PmaXWX96Q%iz6gjThz8EBA.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	315674   Click image for larger version

Name:	9MoAY0ppTdK7gGtH2QxoLw.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	315675  

Name:	Xsn5n9ZjR7S8YcoKmYnNEg.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	315676  
Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Installed my two EasyStart units yesterday.

Took about 2hrs on first one and 20 minutes on the second unit (I forgot to bring my printed directions)

Did my starts off 20amp home circuit.

(Note, I never really “heard” the compressor start but after several minutes it got noticeably cooler air flowing.)

All seems good in our life !
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #220
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
Installed my two EasyStart units yesterday.

Took about 2hrs on first one and 20 minutes on the second unit (I forgot to bring my printed directions)

Did my starts off 20amp home circuit.

(Note, I never really “heard” the compressor start but after several minutes it got noticeably cooler air flowing.)

All seems good in our life !
They definitely start quieter, which is reason enough to put it in!