Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by farner View Post
How did the install go? Did you have any difficulties?
Very easy, I took it slow (it was a hot day, I'm old!) and finished in a couple hours.
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #62
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
You guys that have installed Easystarts into new P2 ACs. I did the install this morning. New 2020 Globetrotter 25. I’m hung up on the last step before the learning starts. The instructions from micro air talk about removing the PTC and the start capacitor from the electrical box. Yet, it seems from earlier posts in this thread you don’t need to remove the parts mentioned. Do I need to disconnect them? I’m leery to do the test starts until I know for sure. I put the Easystart on my 2011 23FC, and I know I had to remove the old capacitor. It worked fine, just don’t know if I need to with this newer unit. Any help appreciated. Happy Independence Day, by the way!
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #63
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Well, I went ahead and disconnected the factory start capacitor, but left it in place. Disconnected both ends (red and white). Doing the five startups. Working very well. I literally cannot hear the compressor come on. Blowing cold air on a 90 degree day. I’ve got it hooked to a 20 amp circuit. On the fourth test run now..

Final.. Running very well on the Honda 2000. On 93 octane pure gas at 750 ft elevation, but it’s 90 degrees out with high humidity. Thanks to earlier posts in this thread, I am not concerned about warranty issues.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
You guys that have installed Easystarts into new P2 ACs. I did the install this morning. New 2020 Globetrotter 25. I’m hung up on the last step before the learning starts. The instructions from micro air talk about removing the PTC and the start capacitor from the electrical box. Yet, it seems from earlier posts in this thread you don’t need to remove the parts mentioned. Do I need to disconnect them? I’m leery to do the test starts until I know for sure. I put the Easystart on my 2011 23FC, and I know I had to remove the old capacitor. It worked fine, just don’t know if I need to with this newer unit. Any help appreciated. Happy Independence Day, by the way!
Jeff
I couldn't get the bolt securing the start capacitor to turn on one of mine. So I taped the ends of the wires coming from it and ignored it. If you disconnect wires and cover the connections, you will be fine leaving them in place.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I recently finished the install of two MicroAirs on my P2's with heat pumps.

It took a 1/4" drive universal and short extension for me to get to the first start cap. but I just left the second one where it was after disconnecting it. It was hot up there! The PTC was easy enough to remove from both.

After the 'learning starts' there were no issues with the Genconnx 2000 (propane) starting and running either unit in ECO mode.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:43 AM   #66
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
What did you guys do with the purple line? I have been through the instructions several times, and I’m still not clear if I need to do anything with it or not. Mine was not connected to the start capacitor.
Thx
RivetED, it’s good to get confirmation that even on propane the Easystart will still run the AC with a 2000. I don’t really want to sell my 2000 and go bigger, but I am looking at converting it to propane.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Melbourne , Florida
EasyStart 364 installation on Domestic Penguin II & Resolution to problem

This will be my 1st Post on this Forum. I Think this is a Great Forum.

I hope it helps someone who might have the same problem I had.

I have a 2017 International Serenity 19CB.

Yesterday I installed my EasyStart 364 and tried the learning process three times and each time the fan kicked in but the compressor did not start or no cool air came into Airstream. I went back to check connections and discovered that the red wire from the compressor was not connected to the to the HERM terminal and I had the white wire from EasyStart connect to the HERM terminal .

So I connected the white wire from EasyStart to the C terminal and connected the Red wire from the compressor to the HERM terminal and tried the learning process again.

This time the Airstream air conditioner would not run, not even in FAN Mode on the Thermostat.

I contacted Micro-Air Tech support and they provided Excellent Support (Rodger). He spend serval hours on the phone helping me troubleshooting the problems.

Here are the steps we took trying to resolve the problem:

“First, locate the compressor and find the blue, white and red wires that come out of the plastic cap on the top. Carefully follow the white wire back in to the electric box. Tug on the wire when it goes through the wire entry so you can be sure you have the correct wire. Please verify that the wire connects to EasyStart’s brown wire.”

“Next, I presume you disconnected the blue wire to the compressor from the relay and reconnected the black extension wire there. Can I get a picture of that zoomed out so I can see the board?”

“The last thing to check is that all the connections are tight.”

“The wiring looks good so this is a bit puzzling. Power comes in
through the black and white wires on the left. Follow those wires to their
end. Are all the connections tight on their connection points?”

“Try a start and let me know if there are any lights on EasyStart or
if the fan comes on. It seems like there is a power problem but I would
expect the display to show E8 if it had no power.”

“EasyStart has three trouble lights labeled D21, D22 and D23. They
are lit whenever EasyStart has power AND the compressor cannot be started
for some reason. If EasyStart has no power (which I am beginning to suspect)
then there will be no lights. Be sure the thermostat is turned down enough to start a cooling cycle.”

“That was what I expected. The AC unit is not getting power for some
reason. Power comes in the black and white wires on the hole from the left
side of the box. If you have a volt meter, you could carefully check for
power on those two wires. The top of the capacitor can be used for one
connection and the black wire where it plugs into the board for the other.
If there is no power there, please check the breakers and connections in the
box on the underside of the air conditioner. If there is power, please let
me know and we can look further.”

Result: The fan kicked on when I touched it to the silver connector

“The problem with your system is the circuit board is not sending a
signal to turn on the relays. This is caused by a bad chip on the control
board. You will need to have the board replaced with a Dometic 3313337.000.”

Now the Rest of the Story:

I did some research on my problem at Airstream Forum about the Pinguin II Fan or Cooling not working and discovered the following suggestions:

"Turn thermostat control to OFF. Press ZONE and MODE at some time. It will read "Init" for initialization. Turn thermostat back ON.”

Low and behold, that cleared my problem and the EasyStart 364 is running Great. I went through the learning process and now my Air conditioner is running perfect, even in Fan Mode.

I just want to Thank the Airstream Forum for Excellent Support. I am so glad to be a member of this site.

V/R
James Smelser
grovepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Glad the forum helped. The thermostat reboot is also in the air conditioner manual that came with your trailer. Sometimes we forget that there is a wealth of information in that packet, although it is time consuming to find the right manual, the right section. and the right advice.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #69
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Found out my Honda 2000 couldn’t cut it at about 6,500’ elevation. We were at a Harvest Host spot near Manila UT. Camped along Sheep Creek. It was warm, but we really didn’t need the AC. I just wanted to see if it would work. I hadn’t switched out the the carburetor jetting to high altitude. That maybe would have helped.
The compressor would try to start up, but then cut out. Just couldn’t do it. The rest of the trip was in the 70s so no worry. We had to run the furnace in the mornings.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #70
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Found out my Honda 2000 couldn’t cut it at about 6,500’ elevation. We were at a Harvest Host spot near Manila UT. Camped along Sheep Creek. It was warm, but we really didn’t need the AC. I just wanted to see if it would work. I hadn’t switched out the the carburetor jetting to high altitude. That maybe would have helped.
The compressor would try to start up, but then cut out. Just couldn’t do it. The rest of the trip was in the 70s so no worry. We had to run the furnace in the mornings.
Same. I tested mine near Escalante UT at about 5,000 feet in April...one day was mid 80s, and it ran fine for my hour long test. Was back in the same spot in early June, temps in the 90s. No joy. compressor would come on, but stall out after a few minutes. Come back on after awhile, then stall again. I did use the appropriate jet, in my case I have three: sub 5000 feet, 5,000-8000, and 8,000+. (Mine has the Genconnex propane conversion)

According to Honda, the generators lose 3% power for every 1,000 feet above sea level. Depending on who I ask, propane might sacrifice power as well. In your case at 6500 feet, that's a whopping 20% decrease. Given that a Honda 2000i is actually 1600 running watts (13 amps) and 2000 peak (16.6 amps), your output was more like 10-11 amps running, 13-14 amps peak. The AC might squeak by at lower temps, but at higher temps just can't hack it. It is able to start the compressor when the compressor pressure is lower, but as the pressure builds...just can't sustain.

I was bummed that when I bought my 2000i, the 2200i came out 2 months later. I often wonder if that extra 10% would get me over the hump.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Same. I tested mine near Escalante UT at about 5,000 feet in April...one day was mid 80s, and it ran fine for my hour long test. Was back in the same spot in early June, temps in the 90s. No joy. compressor would come on, but stall out after a few minutes. Come back on after awhile, then stall again. I did use the appropriate jet, in my case I have three: sub 5000 feet, 5,000-8000, and 8,000+. (Mine has the Genconnex propane conversion)

According to Honda, the generators lose 3% power for every 1,000 feet above sea level. Depending on who I ask, propane might sacrifice power as well. In your case at 6500 feet, that's a whopping 20% decrease. Given that a Honda 2000i is actually 1600 running watts (13 amps) and 2000 peak (16.6 amps), your output was more like 10-11 amps running, 13-14 amps peak. The AC might squeak by at lower temps, but at higher temps just can't hack it. It is able to start the compressor when the compressor pressure is lower, but as the pressure builds...just can't sustain.

I was bummed that when I bought my 2000i, the 2200i came out 2 months later. I often wonder if that extra 10% would get me over the hump.
Sell the 2000 and get the 2200! I just sold my 2000 Champion on Craigs list here in MT...had 40 hits within 3 days!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:13 PM   #72
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Sell the 2000 and get the 2200! I just sold my 2000 Champion on Craigs list here in MT...had 40 hits within 3 days!
;

Wow! was it price at a steal? I might look in to that. I think I'd hesitate even on the 2200 now though...would hate to spend the money and find that even it had issued at higher elevations and temps. Would probably just eat it and upgrade to a 3000i and be done with it...and only take it on trips that I was confident I'd need AC.

Frankly since I added solar my genny has become an anchor, other than being back in Escalante boondocking in early June, which I normally would never do that time of year, but was showing some friends the boondocking ropes so that's why I was there in June. Otherwise, I tend to head further up into the mountains of Idaho/MT etc in June where AC is not a factor!
Old 07-22-2020, 04:18 AM   #73
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Peter,
I’m in a similar spot. I would go to the 2200, but we really like the mountains in summer, and I’m not sure the 2200 would cut it at elevation. We always go for shaded sites, so I’m not sure solar will work. I just received 200 watt portable solar, so I’ll get my first test soon.
If you get to a high enough elevation no AC required. We left Flaming Gorge UT and went to New Fork Lake WY, highs in the 70s lows in the 40s. Battery drain occurred in the morning. I had to run the furnace.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
well, I do have the Champion Dual Fuel 3400 and run propane at 7k feet with no issues...I did try the Honda 2200 with Genconnex propane option my friend has, on my rig before installing the Easystart last summer, in Banff at 5k feet with no issues starting/running my 13000 AC; it did start/cycle with my 15000AC also, (pre-Easystart) but it struggled a bit during cycle. My take away would be the Easystart installed, the Honda 2200 will do fine at altitude, and that is the way i am leaning...selling my Dual Fuel for the lighter 45lb Honda with propane conversion..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I installed an Easystart on my front AC and made one mistake. When I took out the start capacitor the back of my hand hit one of the dipswitches and there was an error showing on the thermostat. I called Easystart and Roger walked me through the settings and everything was fine.I wish all companies had customer service like Micro Aire. When I do the 2nd AC I will leave the start capacitor and the PTC in place but pull the leads off everything. The screw that holds the start capacitor in place is a major pain to get out.
WBCCI#8934
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
The carburetor jetting kit for higher elevation does not make up for the power loss. The thinner air at higher elevation causes a fuel rich condition in the combustion chamber which makes the generator run rough and consume more fuel. The carburetor jet kit contains a slightly larger jet that increase the amount of air mixed with the fuel in the carburetor allowing the generator to run more efficiently but you still experience the standard power loss at elevation. The jet kit for elevations over 6000 feet is great, but when you get back to lower elevations you end up with a lean fuel condition in your generator if you don't switch back to the standard jet. Running lean can overheat the cylinder and ruin your generator. I have tested my EU2200i at 9000ft with a 2 year old 15000 BTU Dometic Brisk Air 2 with EasyStart. The AC will run about 5 minutes and then the AC compressor turns off and will not kick back on. Have not tested with high elevation jet because I will forget to switch back and ruin my generator. The same set up at 800ft elevation and 98degrees with a 109 heat index will work all day long and cool my trailer like a meat locker.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #77
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks Mike. Looks like the 2200 will not work at elevation either. I would like to switch to propane, but that would decrease power a little bit more. I think I’ll just stay with the 2000 running in gas. It works fine here in MO running the AC. Hopefully I’ll have AC when I really need it.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #78
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
well, I do have the Champion Dual Fuel 3400 and run propane at 7k feet with no issues...I did try the Honda 2200 with Genconnex propane option my friend has, on my rig before installing the Easystart last summer, in Banff at 5k feet with no issues starting/running my 13000 AC; it did start/cycle with my 15000AC also, (pre-Easystart) but it struggled a bit during cycle. My take away would be the Easystart installed, the Honda 2200 will do fine at altitude, and that is the way i am leaning...selling my Dual Fuel for the lighter 45lb Honda with propane conversion..
What were the temps in Banff when you tested at 5k feet? Mine worked fine when I tried it in the mid 80s. Mid 90s, same place/elevation, it wouldn't work.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
What were the temps in Banff when you tested at 5k feet? Mine worked fine when I tried it in the mid 80s. Mid 90s, same place/elevation, it wouldn't work.
When I tested it was in mid 70s-low 80's in mid July...after reading prior post to yours, #76, perhaps the suggestion the larger 3000+ model, or "2" Honda's is best solution to be safe. I really don't go up past 7-8K elevation too often in summer but seldom need the AC at that elevation anyway. When I fired up last year at Hungry Horse in MT with my 3400 Dual Fuel, it did struggle at first, now that I think about it...could well have been the elevation...i only used the one day for about an hour or so to cool down....nights in the Rockies seldom that hot to require AC all night..least so far thats been my experience. We just camped last week for 5 nights in Tetons and didn't need the AC, which is typical in summer months there anyway. Good info in last few posts for sure!