RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
We would like to install easy start 364 on both AC units, but the dealer was quick to point out that would void the 1 year warranty Dometic provides.

Shouid we install anyway and forego the 1 year warranty period?
I have owned 4 AS's now over 13 years...never had an AC unit go out. I just had an Easystart installed in my 1500 at JC in Ohio...I am not concerned about warranty issue. They do not remove anything from your existing AC unit now, so if something were to happen, I could remove the Easystart to stock if needed. Not sure I have seen any issues with an AC that had Easystart installed...anyone out there have different experience?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
This seems to come up routinely, now. It has been remarked that the Airstream shop installs these units for customers so how can they void the warranty? On the other hand, it is a Dometic warranty. Nevertheless, MicroAir sells a cheap add-on warranty where they will cover any damage they cause. Never happened, though. While the risk is yours, it is very low.
Larry

At a rally I attended this year, there was a Dometic representative giving a talk on maintining AC units. I asked him, specifically, "does adding a MicroAir Easy Start to your AC units void your warranty"? His answer was short and succicnt, "No".
Old 10-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1961 16' Bambi
Everywhere , Minnesota
SailorSam205,
Thank you for the Dometic rep. reply. Appreciate your input.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Update- the Easystart folks are here at Alumalina...with special AS pricing...they installed in my "neighbor" new 30' Classic on his 1500 unit...took about 20 min...while we were talking ourside...installer said they do not remove anything stock; just install the Easystart around existing wiring....same as Jackson Center did with me last week...fired right up...ran 5 min...then the owner had to start it up and run it 5 more times..that was it.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1961 16' Bambi
Everywhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Update- the Easystart folks are here at Alumalina...with special AS pricing...they installed in my "neighbor" new 30' Classic on his 1500 unit...took about 20 min...while we were talking ourside...installer said they do not remove anything stock; just install the Easystart around existing wiring....same as Jackson Center did with me last week...fired right up...ran 5 min...then the owner had to start it up and run it 5 more times..that was it.

gypsydad,

Thanks for the update. I'm going to bet that the installer at Alumalina was more cost effective than JC/Mothership.
Enjoy the day and happy trails.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Vista , California
Been reading a lot lately about the Easy Start units; and assuming that the pros outweigh the cons, I have two questions:
1. Why don't Dometic et al, use them in their manufacturing process? That is, have the easy start units built in at the factory and not something we have to install after market. It would seem like a good feature to have in terms of power needs and overall A/C life span
2. Why doesn't every RV owner have one installed as soon as possible, again for the same reasons?
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlock View Post
Been reading a lot lately about the Easy Start units; and assuming that the pros outweigh the cons, I have two questions:

1. Why don't Dometic et al, use them in their manufacturing process? That is, have the easy start units built in at the factory and not something we have to install after market. It would seem like a good feature to have in terms of power needs and overall A/C life span

2. Why doesn't every RV owner have one installed as soon as possible, again for the same reasons?

1) Dometic, and any mass manufacturing outfit for that matter puts as little cost into their products as possible to keep profits up and price down. They don’t care about lifespan of their product making it past the end of their warranty period.

2) not all RV owners are aware of the usefulness of the EasyStart or are not willing to spend the ‘extra’ money.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Agree, not sure why you would even ask. Look at all of the Airstream could have done for $20 here, $100 there, but decided low cost is better.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Homosassa , Florida
I had two Easy Starts installed at JC three weeks ago while I was having some warranty work done. 3/4 hour labor since they were replacing one A/C no charge. BTW, the Dometic heat pumps are made in China.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlock View Post

Keep in mind that most RVers go to RV parks and plug in to shore power. There is really no benefit to having one of these devices in that case. This is a unit to buy if you want to power one A/C with a small generator and is targeted at the boondocking crowed.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Keep in mind that most RVers go to RV parks and plug in to shore power. There is really no benefit to having one of these devices in that case. This is a unit to buy if you want to power one A/C with a small generator and is targeted at the boondocking crowed.
Well, that's partially true..but it also helps take the surge off of your AC...at home or even in some RV parks, there are 20amp outlets and Easystart will work typically with these...my standard Dometic without Easystart on the 15000 AC units, not so much! The name says it all...."Easy"-start!
Old 10-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

I would add that it just seems that the compressor should last longer without that huge inrush current. On the other hand, a lot of these units fail due to loss of refrigerant, it seems. But, EasyStart is a good addition even when on shorepower.
Larry
Old 10-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Easy Start 364

Quote:
I would add that it just seems that the compressor should last longer without that huge inrush current. On the other hand, a lot of these units fail due to loss of refrigerant, it seems. But, EasyStart is a good addition even when on shorepower.

Larry

I’d want to see some data on that before I would spend $300 just to reduce the starting current. My opinion is the only reason to buy one of these is to run your A/C with one 2000 watt generator.

The manufacture makes no claims that I can see about longer life....

“EasyStart - The most advanced & effective soft starter for all A/C applications
EasyStart is a one-of-a-kind, custom-developed soft starter for single-phase motors. It employs a 4-part start ramp sequence that is self-optimizing, resulting in the lowest possible start-up current. EasyStart can deliver 65-75% start current reduction as compared to a compressor's LRA (locked-rotor amperage). EasyStart is the perfect solution that allows an air conditioner or refrigeration compressor to operate on a generator, inverter, or limited utility power when it would otherwise not have functioned. It can also be applied to air compressor and fluid pump motors. “
Old 10-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
I’d want to see some data on that before I would spend $300 just to reduce the starting current. My opinion is the only reason to buy one of these is to run your A/C with one 2000 watt generator.

“EasyStart - The most advanced & effective soft starter for all A/C applications
EasyStart is a one-of-a-kind, custom-developed soft starter for single-phase motors. It employs a 4-part start ramp sequence that is self-optimizing, resulting in the lowest possible start-up current. EasyStart can deliver 65-75% start current reduction as compared to a compressor's LRA (locked-rotor amperage). EasyStart is the perfect solution that allows an air conditioner or refrigeration compressor to operate on a generator, inverter, or limited utility power when it would otherwise not have functioned. It can also be applied to air compressor and fluid pump motors. “
Or on a 15 amp circuit in your driveway.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Or on a 15 amp circuit in your driveway.

Or to run 2 ACs when only 30AMP is available.
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Or to run 2 ACs when only 30AMP is available.

Dometic would be installing the EasyStart during manufacture, long before anyone knew that AC would go into a trailer with 2 AC units. Manufacturing
versions of AC units with and without an ES, would only increase manufacture, shippping, warehousing, and install costs. All so that a fraction of the RV public won't be inconvenienced.
For the record, my RV has 1 AC. I am unable to store my unit at home. I don't boondock. The additional cost would be a total waste for me.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:

This is from one of the engineers when I installed mine:

Regarding your concern about shortening the life of your heat pump A/Cs, although we have no empirical life test evidence to support this (yet), in theory the use of EasyStart should actually extend the life of your heat pump's compressor because the added stress of the normal LRA startups is eliminated with EasyStart installed. Also, the EasyStart has advanced diagnostics that constantly monitor the compressor even after the startup is over and done with. These diagnostics will shut down the compressor if any problems are detected, much more quickly than the compressor's thermal overload or a circuit breaker would.

Larry
Old 10-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
This is from one of the engineers when I installed mine:

Regarding your concern about shortening the life of your heat pump A/Cs, although we have no empirical life test evidence to support this (yet), in theory the use of EasyStart should actually extend the life of your heat pump's compressor because the added stress of the normal LRA startups is eliminated with EasyStart installed. Also, the EasyStart has advanced diagnostics that constantly monitor the compressor even after the startup is over and done with. These diagnostics will shut down the compressor if any problems are detected, much more quickly than the compressor's thermal overload or a circuit breaker would.

Larry

I had no concerns about shortening the life? If you ant to install one because you believe it will prolong the life of your A/C.....have at it.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
I had no concerns about shortening the life? If you ant to install one because you believe it will prolong the life of your A/C.....have at it.
My only point, or attempt at a point, was that you get this in addition to the ability to run the A/C off of a Honda 2K generator. And you don't have to feel/hear the huge thunk when the compressor starts. You know the cost for me to buy and install was less than I pay to attend one rally.

Larry
Old 10-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

Not sure what "data" your looking for?? Empirical "data" from many of us AS owners here on the Forum not enough for you? Runs with a 2000W generator when boondocking...runs with a 20A circuit at home or some RV parks. In TX, it will also be a blessing on those hot spring/summer trips.

I can attest the Easystart works as advertised..we are in FL currently camping on the beach. and only have a 20A box outside in the campground. I am running the 15000AC with a new 15A dehumidifier.; works fine. I bought the AS to enjoy the journey and the stay! Easystart works as advertised...good investment.