Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 AM   #281
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
I think I need to do something similiar with my doors. Note the plural; I like having a two door trailer but wish I didn't have to do this twice!
Good luck on your doors. If you have any problems and my information here isn't enough, feel free to PM me or whatever.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
water heater installed

I finished the installation of my restored Bowen hot water heater. It was quite a long process. I have not included pictures of the rebuild steps. I'll have to wait until other utilities are hooked up before I can test the installation. I have included two pictures of the outside and inside when the process was complete. If someone would like more details ask.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater inside.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	20873   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater outside.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	20874  

Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #283
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
garage left open

I left the garage open during dinner. When I returned I found a "Viceallope" had slipped in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vicealope.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	20875  
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Hummmnnnnn ....

Sorta looks like a Girabbit to me.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:41 AM   #285
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Sorta looks like a Girabbit to me.
Maybe a worn out Easter Bunny!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #286
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Pex water pipe installation

Finally completed the incoming water pipe hookups. I used Pex. I also pressure tested the system with air today. Pressure is holding. Included are 4 pictures. 1. the hot water tank with connections. 2. pipe layout in the bath area. 3. water inlet connections from the outside supply as well as the storage tank. 4. the supply tank and the original air pressure pump. If anyone would like additional information about which valve is what etc. I could include additional pics with identifiers.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water heater hookup.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	20999   Click image for larger version

Name:	water bath area.jpg
Views:	170
ID:	21000  

Name:	water outside and tank.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	21001   Click image for larger version

Name:	water-air pump.jpg
Views:	191
ID:	21002  

Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Update

Getting ready to repaint the Zolatone. You know the routine, sand, clean, sand, clean, sand, clean, tape. Clean again, re-tape, etc. It will probable be a while before I make another entry here. Hopefully a picture of the finished paint job.
Don
Old 05-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #288
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi Don, I have a question. Did you put a by-pass on your hot water heater ? I couldn't tell from your pics.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #289
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi Don, I have a question. Did you put a by-pass on your hot water heater ? I couldn't tell from your pics.

Chris
I'm not sure what you mean by a by-pass. I have a one way valve on the cold water inlet to the hot water heater. The connection which is in the lower section of the tank in the picture has a pressure relief valve that is exited out the copper pipe you can see in the picture. That same connection which is the tank drain valve is the one that goes to a drain that shows two red handled valves. One valve drains the hot water and the other is a drain for the cold water. Do I need something else? Thanks for keeping an eye on my project and what I'm doing. It's so easy to miss something. That can become a head ache later.
Don
P.S. the bad news is that while air pressure testing my water storage tank I have discovered a pin hole leak. Anyone have a good galvanized tank that wont to get rid of?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #290
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
I'm not sure what you mean by a by-pass. I have a one way valve on the cold water inlet to the hot water heater. The connection which is in the lower section of the tank in the picture has a pressure relief valve that is exited out the copper pipe you can see in the picture. That same connection which is the tank drain valve is the one that goes to a drain that shows two red handled valves. One valve drains the hot water and the other is a drain for the cold water. Do I need something else? Thanks for keeping an eye on my project and what I'm doing. It's so easy to miss something. That can become a head ache later.
Don
P.S. the bad news is that while air pressure testing my water storage tank I have discovered a pin hole leak. Anyone have a good galvanized tank that wont to get rid of?
I did have one but it is long gone and probably not easy to get from Iowa to California anyway...

The Hot water bypass is so you can take your hot water heater "out of the loop" when you winterize so you won't have to fill the entire thing with antifreeze. It's just a line between the in and out lines with valves so you can redirect water "around" the water heater.

Will you be making art in your trailer then? Wee little watercolors would be a good fit.

Carlos
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #291
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Don
Couldn't you just weld up the pin hole ? I guess before doing that I would want to know how is the rest of the tank. The by-pass I was talking about is exactly what Carlos described.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #292
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Don,

I have an aluminum tank you may have. Can you pick it up, or find someone traveling through Minneapolis?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #293
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Don,

I have an aluminum tank you may have. Can you pick it up, or find someone traveling through Minneapolis?
Would it be possible for you to send me a picture or two? A PM of something. If it will fit my needs, would it be possible to arrange a pickup by truck?
Thanks for the offer. Don
Old 05-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #294
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Couldn't you just weld up the pin hole ? I guess before doing that I would want to know how is the rest of the tank. The by-pass I was talking about is exactly what Carlos described.

Chris
Thats a good idea. After further inspection it appears that the tank has a slight bulge in the middle. My guess is that in was expanded in the original freeze that split the hot water tank. I'm going to take it out, remove all the caps etc. and do an inspection. If it looks like I can weld it, I think I will look into having it pressure tested afterwords. I like the idea of a pressure tank. Anyone wont to share thoughts on the pros and cons of pressure tank verses non pressure? Pumps etc.
Thanks Don
Old 05-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Bypass question

I usually completely drain all the water from the trailer after every use. In the other SOBs I've owned they have never had a bypass that I was aware of. Is this a special items in Airstreams? Or have I just been out of the loop? Would appreciate any discussion on the subject.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #296
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Would it be possible for you to send me a picture or two?
Don
Here's a picture:http://www.airforums.com/forums/222976-post5.html
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
My tank is 55" +/- a little to 10" in diameter. Is your tank a pressure tank?
Thanks for the picture.
Don
Old 05-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #298
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:

Don,

I also had a pinhole leak. Discovered when I was just about to pull out for a trip up the CA coast from Southern CA. I had just installed my wood flooring and finished the new goucho when the flood occured. With the help of a good friend and my very tall brother-in-law, it was pulled out. Raced around trying to find a welder to no avail. Finally thought to call "my son the plumber". He said, "huh, just use JB Weld, wait 10 minutes and you are good to go.

I did, I was, and that was 6 years ago!
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #299
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Another possible fix is to use a sheetmetal screw with a rubber washer. I did this in college to my '66 Mustang fuel tank and forgot all about it until it was noticed by the guy I sold it to 6 years later. Never leaked gas.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #300
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Thanks for the ideas. Here is what I did. Drilled a hole, threaded a 1/4 by 38 thread in the tank, used a screw, faucet washer, metal washer, faucet washer and a bolt on the inside of the tank. So far have tested to 35 lbs. and it's holding. Will test to 45 Lbs. tomorrow.

I tried my Par Air compressor for the first time. It works! It a Par Air compressor 7000. Anyone know where I can get overhaul parts for this compressor. It's nice to have extras for a item made in 1962.