Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Bambi biscotti to the rescue!
Cappucino for 4 and a camp fire sound good to me.
These will foreever be known as Biscotti vents.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #382
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Biscotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Bambi biscotti to the rescue!
I want mine dipped in chocolate!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:19 AM   #383
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
update

Well, things are moving along quite nicely. I now have the Refer installed and tested. It is working great and producing "ICE". One thing I'm going to work on is shrouding. Even though the back door has plenty of venting in it, a great deal of the heat from the fridge goes into the trailer. I think most of the Airstreams have good venting to the outside. The 61 to 63 Bambi's seem to be lacking in this area. Anyone out there want to make comments on this. Or have Ideas. I'd like to hear from you. All the original equipment is up and running well. Even the rebuilt Bowen hot water heater. I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I have come up with a way to replace the small nylon slider in the window cranks. They work well and are cheap. I'll have some pictures and info on this in a future post. Every day had been lots of small finish jobs. We are definitely going to make it to Silver Falls Or. Rally. Here in Yreka, which is on I5, there have been lots of Airstream sightings lately. Someone just the other day said they saw this neat pointer front airstream in town. Their comment was, " It was really cool".
Don
Old 06-21-2006, 06:56 AM   #384
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Refer flue

Don,

Here is my attempt at solving the refrigerator shroud problem.

My '59 Tradewind came with a "one-way" refrigerator. You can see the original louver vent at about waist level just behind the door.

I am installing a 2-door 2-way Dometic, and decided to go with the 'certified' vent arrangement, recommended by Dometic. That required putting in a lower vent opening and a roof vent.

The problem I saw was too much open area in the space between the refrigerator and the curved wall of the airstream. This would reduce the drafting efficiency of the flue, and also left a lot of wasted space behind the refer.

I hate wasted space.

So I built an access door, and boxed in the curved space behind the refrigerator. That left me with a shallow (4") but high and wide storage space which is perfect for storing my electrical cord, and maybe a canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59Tradewind curbside.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	22573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	22574  

Name:	Door 011.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	22575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 010.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	22576  

Name:	Door 015.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	22577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Locker 006.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	22578  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #385
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
sheesh, where do you guys learn how to do all that cool metalwork?? is there a correspondance course?

in the 70's trailers, the intake for the fridge is created by a hole in the floor, enclosed by chicken wire. (a-hem..."hardware cloth" ). The "flue" is basically the same as you made, only bigger, and it goes to the exhaust vent in the roof. The good thing about this is that the vent is not affected by the door. I've seen some owners of newer trailers complain that their fridge cooling drops way down if they have the door open, as it blocks those vents.

anyway...Norcal: could you explain those biscotti-lookin things? "hardform caps like on the airplane"....huh? whats the material?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #386
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Well, things are moving along quite nicely. I now have the Refer installed and tested. It is working great and producing "ICE". One thing I'm going to work on is shrouding. Even though the back door has plenty of venting in it, a great deal of the heat from the fridge goes into the trailer. I think most of the Airstreams have good venting to the outside. The 61 to 63 Bambi's seem to be lacking in this area. Anyone out there want to make comments on this. Or have Ideas. I'd like to hear from you.Don
Hi Don,

Good airflow over the back of the refrigerator is paramount to it still making ice when the weather gets hot. Take a good look at teh rear of the fridge compartment,and see if you can vent it somehow at the highest point under the counter top. Natural convection works best, but you may consider amployiong a pair of computer style muffin fans for the hotter days.
I did this, and it works very well. Mine have slow and fast speed, so I can leave them on at night without too much noise. Someone had alink with some really quiet fans, but I just bought them from a local electronic surplus store.
I am suggesting these fans because I beleive that you do not have room for a fridge scoop that exits the roof, or am I wrong?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #387
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Well, things are moving along quite nicely. I now have the Refer installed and tested. It is working great and producing "ICE". One thing I'm going to work on is shrouding. Even though the back door has plenty of venting in it, a great deal of the heat from the fridge goes into the trailer. I think most of the Airstreams have good venting to the outside. The 61 to 63 Bambi's seem to be lacking in this area. Anyone out there want to make comments on this. Or have Ideas. I'd like to hear from you. All the original equipment is up and running well. Even the rebuilt Bowen hot water heater. I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I have come up with a way to replace the small nylon slider in the window cranks. They work well and are cheap. I'll have some pictures and info on this in a future post. Every day had been lots of small finish jobs. We are definitely going to make it to Silver Falls Or. Rally. Here in Yreka, which is on I5, there have been lots of Airstream sightings lately. Someone just the other day said they saw this neat pointer front airstream in town. Their comment was, " It was really cool".
Don
Everything looks fantastic, Don. I'm interested to hear about your slider solution - I found some nylon spacers at the hardware store (nylon cylinders that I cut to size) that worked for me - wondering if you did the same. Hope I get to see your trailer sometime!

Carlos
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #388
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
thanks everybody

What a great response. Here is the slider solution. jcferguson, my solution sounds like what you did. The following pictures should explain. Please feel free to make comments and suggestions. The windows go up very smoothly, however they jump a lot when going down. The old sliders were the same. Maybe I need to do some work on the chanels.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3 bushings.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	22601   Click image for larger version

Name:	bushing size.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	22602  

Name:	pushing cutting.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	22603   Click image for larger version

Name:	pushing force.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	22604  

Name:	pushing force 2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	22605   Click image for larger version

Name:	bushing final.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	22606  

Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #389
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Refer solution

For the fridge venting here is what I've done. The door in the back of my Bambi has 2 sets of lovers. In the top and bottom of the door. The refer is placed directly in the middle back of the trailer. The heat from the fridge is suppose to go out the top louvers. The problem is that there is no shrouds to guide the air flow. So it goes up into the drawer that is above the fridge and into the drawer. It also flows around and out of many places into the interior of the trailer. BAD. So I have put aluminum shielding under the drawer and caused a deflection up to the louvers. The 3rd shield directs the hot air directly to the upper louvers. This is working much better. However I now need to seal all small cracks and spaces left by not so exact metal work. Once again I'm open to comments and suggestions. I'll bet the old system left many a camper with a head ache in the morning.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panel.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	22612   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel in.jpg
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	22613  

Name:	panel in in.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	22614   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 panels.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	22615  

Name:	2 panels out.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	22616   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd panel.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	22617  

Old 06-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #390
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Uwe, The fans sound like a good addition. We are only using one battery in our Bambi. How do you think the fans will affect the battery when Boon docking. I have six fans in my computer. So I am familiar with the need for proper cooling.
Thanks Don
Old 06-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #391
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
sheesh, where do you guys learn how to do all that cool metalwork?? is there a correspondance course?

in the 70's trailers, the intake for the fridge is created by a hole in the floor, enclosed by chicken wire. (a-hem..."hardware cloth" ). The "flue" is basically the same as you made, only bigger, and it goes to the exhaust vent in the roof. The good thing about this is that the vent is not affected by the door. I've seen some owners of newer trailers complain that their fridge cooling drops way down if they have the door open, as it blocks those vents.

anyway...Norcal: could you explain those biscotti-lookin things? "hardform caps like on the airplane"....huh? whats the material?
Most of my metal working knowledge comes from what I learned in Art School and the trial and error. No pain No gain. The Biscottie vent inserts are make of hard rubber foam. They use to be a garden knee pad. The airplane referance is to a 1959 Bonanza the my wife and I had for 18 years. There are a bunch of stories there. We had hard foam pads that went into the front air vents etc, to keep the birds from making nests in the engine compartment. Bird nests can ruin a pilots day.
Don
Old 06-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #392
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Uwe, The fans sound like a good addition. We are only using one battery in our Bambi. How do you think the fans will affect the battery when Boon docking. I have six fans in my computer. So I am familiar with the need for proper cooling.
Thanks Don
Don,
I would add 2 things to the refrigerator install:
Fans, as discussed. You run them when it gets really hot, or while cooling down the fridge. A switch can turn them off if you're worried about battery life. A two way toggle can select high speed ( 12V parallel) or low speed ( serial connection, 6V each).
A wedge for a venturi effect over the cooling fins behind the refrigerator.
You want whatever air is flowing behind the refrigerator to flow over the cooling fins, and the tubing behind the refrigerator, not right past it and out the top. So, a metal wedge between the lower louver and the upper louver mounted to the access door would likely help direct the airflow where it is most beneficial. These things can make a big difference on how well your absorption fridge can perform.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #393
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Don,
I would add 2 things to the refrigerator install:
Fans, as discussed. You run them when it gets really hot, or while cooling down the fridge. A switch can turn them off if you're worried about battery life. A two way toggle can select high speed ( 12V parallel) or low speed ( serial connection, 6V each).
A wedge for a venturi effect over the cooling fins behind the refrigerator.
You want whatever air is flowing behind the refrigerator to flow over the cooling fins, and the tubing behind the refrigerator, not right past it and out the top. So, a metal wedge between the lower louver and the upper louver mounted to the access door would likely help direct the airflow where it is most beneficial. These things can make a big difference on how well your absorption fridge can perform.
Uwe, would you be willing to make a quick sketch and post it for me. I think I understand. But a picture would sure help.
Thanks Don
Old 06-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #394
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Uwe, would you be willing to make a quick sketch and post it for me. I think I understand. But a picture would sure help.
Thanks Don
Don, I don't know how to draw something on the computer, heck I can barely type...ashamed to admit.
I would be happy to fax you a sketch, if you PM me your fax number.
By the time I learn my Illustrator program, you will have been camping for several years in your Bambi.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #395
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I figured out that I can draw something and then take a picture of it....duh!
Here it is.
The dotted line is supposed to be the deflector that channels the airflow as close as is practical over the cooling fins behind the refrigerator.
I did not draw in the fans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6210015.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	22619  
Old 06-22-2006, 04:57 AM   #396
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I figured out that I can draw something and then take a picture of it....duh!
Here it is.
The dotted line is supposed to be the deflector that channels the airflow as close as is practical over the cooling fins behind the refrigerator.
I did not draw in the fans.
Uwe, that's a great help. I'll work on that today.
Thanks Don
Old 06-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #397
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
...The Biscottie vent inserts are make of hard rubber foam. They use to be a garden knee pad. The airplane referance is to a 1959 Bonanza the my wife and I had for 18 years. There are a bunch of stories there. We had hard foam pads that went into the front air vents etc, to keep the birds from making nests in the engine compartment. Bird nests can ruin a pilots day.
Don
Oh, you mean "cowl plugs". yes, I'm quite familiar, having picked a few birds nest out of airplane engines, myself. had one in the tail cone, once. now THAT was horrifying to get out. after that, we made it a habit to plug both ends.

I guess I was confused, as I thought the point of those plugs was to keep stuff out of the vent without disrupting air flow.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #398
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Oh, you mean "cowl plugs". yes, I'm quite familiar, having picked a few birds nest out of airplane engines, myself. had one in the tail cone, once. now THAT was horrifying to get out. after that, we made it a habit to plug both ends.

I guess I was confused, as I thought the point of those plugs was to keep stuff out of the vent without disrupting air flow.
Chuck, you are probably familiar with this one too. The only thing worse than birds are mud dobbers. Do you still fly?
Don
Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 AM   #399
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Chuck, you are probably familiar with this one too. The only thing worse than birds are mud dobbers. Do you still fly?
Don
oh, yeah. had one in the pitot tube once...nest was half way between there and the airspeed indicator. whole thing had to be pulled out and replaced. he couldn't just plug the opening. noooOOOOooo! .

anyway...nope, haven't flown in a while. maybe when I hit the power-ball.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #400
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
tow vehicle

I decided the truck need a full break job before we left for the Silver Falls, Or. Rally. Spare time, What spare time.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1004477.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	22653