Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2002, 12:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Trailer Insurance

I own a 1973, 23 foot Safari and being a novice with RVs, I don't know where to start looking for the right insurance for my Vintage Airstream. My insurance agent told to me that my trailer was covered under my truck insurance. I can only assume he was talking about some minimal level of liability. I am courious what you experienced Airstream owners recommend for coverage. Also, how do you place an accurate value on a Vintage Airstream for insurance purposes? I've not seen an appraisal book that goes back that far. Areas I believe I should be considering are:
1. Liability
2. Fire
3. Vandalism
4. Storm damage - Hailstorm, flooding
5. Damage from falling tree limbs
6. A Reputable Company - Who, where?
7. Cost

Are there other areas I should be considering? What has been your experience? I sure would appreciate any help you can give me on this matter.

Thanks,
Larry
Stougard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
RV insurance

Larry,
Check with Foremost Insurance co. 1800-237-2060, they insure alot of AS owners and know them pretty good from my conversations with them. Although your truck policy covers your trailer it may only be when pulling it and/or if something did happen they wouldnt give you beans for what it is, to them its just an rv. I also suggest you get it appraised BEFORE you get a policy on it so you have the upper hand on claims and value. They also have roadside service equal to the AS service so you'll save $100/yr there alone.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
When we spoke to our Allstate agent about adding our '64 GlobeTrotter and the intended restoration, he suggested keeping receipts & documenting with pictures of the trailer as it progressed through it's restoration and it's value increased.

Also he suggested to revisit the value of the policy once the restoration is complete and to keep any trailer for sale ads that we come across that are similar to our own. All this in an effort to help validate the stated insured replacement value in the event of a mishap.

Not saying it wouldn't come down to a "discussion" of value later, but if you have detailed documentation of what you have then it'll be easier to negotiate.

Just my two-cents...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 04:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

We insured with Foremost Insurance on our '81 Excella this past year. In addition to a very reasonable premium, we did have an opportunity to use their claim service. We suffered a blow out on the street side rear. (worse place to have a blow out.) Bottom line....about $1500 damage. The claim was handled quickly, with no hassle. What more can you ask for? I would recommend them.
jkleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
beverly hills , California
rv insurance

I've been seeking cheap rv insurance for a few months now and still not sure where to go. Any suggestions on low cost coverage?
mike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Try South Jersey RV. They did some remarkable repair work on my Overlander after trees really messed it up and they sell specialized RV insurance.
Click here to Enter

(856) 697-9600
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #7

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Ivanhoe , Minnesota
We just insured our 75 Landyacht with State Farm. I don't know if they are a good insurance for a vintige trailer or not. We have our vehicles with them.
Claraphyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
I have mine w/AAA - also have auto and home ins w/them. I will revisit the policy in about a month when all the updates/modifactions to Maude have been made and they'll retake photos. My understanding was that the trailer is automatically insured under my auto policy if I hit another car, but for things like theft, etc. it needs it's own policy - and the cost was very reasonable.
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I have my Safari insured with Progressive for a stated cost amount. That is, the stated amount I have in it with the extensive remodeling, cost of the trailer etc. They didn't ask for documentation, they just told me what the rates were to insure for $x number. Plus, I got a campsite protection rider, if somebody gets hurt around the trailer (you know tripping over a chair, walking into the tongue, stuff like that.) With everyone so litigious, that seemed like a good thing to get as well as protecting the trailer against road accident damage, theft, and theft of stuff from the trailer. There's also a provision if I don't make any claims for 3 years then there is no deductible if I have to make a claim.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
we also have progressive, no compaints with one large claim in '94. traded it in for the '94.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
the biggoofball is mine

1973 27' Overlander
1972 Argosy 22
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beautiful Southern Connecticut , Gateway to NEW ENGLAND Unit
We use state farm for auto and home insurance. They offer vintage vehicle insurance which we use for a vintage car. I have a call in to my agent and will post back to with his recommendations/comments. I am curious whether the vintage coverage will be available for a trailer.

Allie
Allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I checked around and found only one company that will write an "agreed value" policy on vintage airstreams. I had a policy with Foremost insurance and thought the coverage I had was "agreed value", but it wasn't. It was a "stated value" policy that should I have a claim would allow the insurance company to depreciate my trailer and pay me a much lesser amount for damages.

I took out an "agreed value" policy with Progressive and am I ever grateful I did because this summer I sat through a hail storm in the Texas panhandle which according to the estimate I obtained from a Lubbock Airstream dealer did over $24,000 in damages. I had only a $17,000 "agreed value" coverage, but I did have that amount of coverage. Progressive verified the damage and then offered me the choice of accepting the $17,000 and they take possession of the trailer or keeping the trailer and accepting a smaller settlement by subtacting the salvage value of the trailer from the $17,000. The point here is that with an "agreed value" there is no room for the insurance company to jockey around with you on how much the trailer might have depreciated or what it might be worth thus giving you less coverage.

In order to insure the trailer for an "agreed value", I had only to obtain an estimate of its value from an Airstream dealer or other acceptable appraiser.

When insuring these older refurbished trailers, it is imperative that you have coverage you can count on and an "agreed value" policy is the only way to go.

For those of you who "think" you have coverage through your auto policy, you don't.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Apprasial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
In order to insure the trailer for an "agreed value", I had only to obtain an estimate of its value from an Airstream dealer or other acceptable appraiser.

GStephens
How did you handle the appraisal? I got my paperwork from Progressive yesterday, and I need to do this very soon, immediately.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
the biggoofball is mine

1973 27' Overlander
1972 Argosy 22
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beautiful Southern Connecticut , Gateway to NEW ENGLAND Unit
Lightbulb State Farm Insurance Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by oph-rv
We use state farm for auto and home insurance. They offer vintage vehicle insurance which we use for a vintage car. I have a call in to my agent and will post back to with his recommendations/comments. I am curious whether the vintage coverage will be available for a trailer.

Allie
State Farm Insurance Update

I spoke to state farm this morning. Their vintage coverage doesn't cover travel trailers. I insured the trailer for it's sale value and can re-visit the coverage each year to add or subtract depending on the value at the time. The amount that I insured the trailer for will not be depreciated. It will stay the same unless I change it i.e. changing the coverage amount durring yearly policy review. BTW, policy cost is $80/year full comp and $100 deductible for collision.

There may be some other things I need to learn about trailer insurance or vintage trailer insurance. This policy is a good start and means that we can pick up our new trailer by this weekend!

Hope to be attending one of the next Region One meetings or trips.
Allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I am looking to change over from State Farm for my insurance coverage. It was fine back when I bought the trailer and I only had a few thousand dollars invested, but now the restoration is done, I've invested thousands of dollars and untold hours of my own time, and thanks to Airstream's increased popularity the value of the trailer has increased so much that I would like to get a policy with an 'agreed on' value, or whatever they call it. I don't mind paying a fair amount to insure it in the event of an accident. I would be more comfortable knowing that if the trailer was totaled, I would be covered for an amount that will allow me to get another finished Caravel and get back on the road, instead of starting all over from scratch. I can tell from the amount I'm paying at State Farm ($25 a year) that they do not understand the value of the trailer, and it will be a big fight if anything happens.

So I guess I'll call Progressive and Foremost, the two insurance companies already mentioned here. Does anyone else have any further insight into vintage trailer insurance?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Cool Getting ready to update...

We have Farm Bureau Insurance and have for many years. We are allowed to insure our trailer for the amount of money that we have into it. In fact, we will be updating our insurance soon as we will be on the road at the end of April. I hadn't been recording our receipts as regularly as I used to at the begininng of our rebuild, and was astounded as to how much we have spent on Moby since his purchase in 2004.

The insurance agent will be receiving documentation and pictures, and a request for an upgrade to $13,575.41. But we know that everything works, it doesn't leak, the bed is comfortable, and it's paid for!!!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thumbs up Progressive Changes

I got a letter from Progressive this afternoon about changes to my RV policy to become effective March 31, 2008. Pet Injury insurance now comes free with an RV’s Comprehensive and Collision coverage. Also, if you have Personal Effects coverage, they will now pay first for a covered loss before any other insurance you may have for those valuables.

I don’t have pets, but I think this is a very nice thing for those that do. I do appreciate them deciding to pay first, too.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I am looking to change over from State Farm for my insurance coverage. It was fine back when I bought the trailer and I only had a few thousand dollars invested, but now the restoration is done, I've invested thousands of dollars and untold hours of my own time, and thanks to Airstream's increased popularity the value of the trailer has increased so much that I would like to get a policy with an 'agreed on' value, or whatever they call it. I don't mind paying a fair amount to insure it in the event of an accident. I would be more comfortable knowing that if the trailer was totaled, I would be covered for an amount that will allow me to get another finished Caravel and get back on the road, instead of starting all over from scratch. I can tell from the amount I'm paying at State Farm ($25 a year) that they do not understand the value of the trailer, and it will be a big fight if anything happens.

So I guess I'll call Progressive and Foremost, the two insurance companies already mentioned here. Does anyone else have any further insight into vintage trailer insurance?
I have my 67 Caravel insured with State Farm for it's actual (agreed) value, which in this case is $9500. Premium is $81/yr, and they didn't ask for any appraisals or comparable sales or anything. Just call them and tell them what you want to insure it for.
Corraleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I was told by Foremost in order to get an agreed value appraisal I need a statement on letterhead from an Airstream Dealer saying what it is worth.
There is only one dealer in my area (Albuquerque) Holiday RV. I called him when I came through from a trip last weekend. He said an appraisal would cost $50. I drove to the lot and he basicly laughed me off the lot, pulling out a NADA book which went back to 1975. Says NADA says a 75 is only worth $1300 with the implication my 71 must be worth less. He would not even look inside my coach Said "I'm not going to put my name to that" and asked me about the dent on a front panel. He did not hesitate to tell me he could replace the panel, which was repairable without replacement, and then might give me an appraisal.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I would expect that kind of attitude from a NON-AIRSTREAM RV dealer (it's the same attitude I get at my local), but that kind of treatment from an AS dealer should warrant a boycott IMHO. Any new dealer who can't appreciate vintage is not a true Airstream person, but simply another hustler out to make a buck...using the Airstream brand to do it. Thumbs down on Holiday RV of Albuquerque...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote