Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
There are a few dealers that "can" rebuild any Airstream trailer ever made.

We are one of them.

We not only rebuild, remodel, refurbish and remanufacture them, we also can and do making them longer, shorter, wider, taller, change floor plans and add additional axles.

An insurance company can select such a dealer that has a proven track record over the factory.

Andy
That is the answer, let Andy deal with the insurance company, he is an expert and has the insurance background like no other.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Appraisal in Northern Calif?

David-

You specifically asked a few posts back about other appraisers in northern Calif... I suspect sales mgr at Toscano might qualify, but if you need more you might try-

1. Andy R at Inland RV... He was an inusrance adjuster, and does repair and rebuild and sell used Airstreams
2. C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower (also Southern Calif..). They are long term factory-authrozed repair only Airstream center.
3. East Bay RV just south of Benicia Bridge off I-680 north of Concord... They are relatively new Airstream Dealer, but may also have competent appraiser avaiable.
4. Manteca Trailer Sales in Manteca is also an Airstream Dealer, with large shop, and (I believe) a satellite operation in Sacramento...

Good luck!

>> and as to my earlier post about talking with an attorney, the real value is in pre-litigation discussions, correspondence and negotiations.. I agree that actually walking into courtroom and engaging in a trial may mean that 1/3 of the money at issue will go to the legal representatives...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Like Kind And Quality

David,
As an ex-claims adjuster, I can tell you that State Farm is probably pulling their numbers from some reference source. You should be able to ask to see their sources. If they are sure their value is correct there should be nothing to hide.

Secondly, You need to locate one or two comparable trailers for sale. Keep in mind that yours was not new so compare "Like Kind and Quality". If you can find one exactly like the one you had, you should be able to present the LKQ trailer to the insurer for consideration

Finally, Don't fret too much about the loan. Whether the accident happened or not you would have still owed x dollars even if the trailer wasn't worth x. For goodness sake don't stop making payments this will only hurt you. I would ask the leinholder if they can roll the deficit amount into a new loan.

Sorry about your loss.
Dave
robertsonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #64
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsonmd
David,
As an ex-claims adjuster, I can tell you that State Farm is probably pulling their numbers from some reference source. You should be able to ask to see their sources. If they are sure their value is correct there should be nothing to hide.
Right on Dave!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

I am curious to know the type and size of the tow vehicle and the type of hitch used on the Airstream. Also the advice to file a complaint with the Insurance Regulatory Body in your state I believe will get the results you are looking for. Getting a Lawyer should be the last resort as this is another cost that you will bear. Stay on the Insurance company and see what happens Fischman
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Calif Insurance Commission NOT activist...

Just to respond to those who'd like to see Insurance Commission involved, maybe it's the 30 million people here in the Golden State, but the Insurance Commission barely manages to send out complaint forms, which are scanned and filed upon receipt. They do not get actively involved in resolving individual consumer cases.. You might get their attention with a Class Action involving 100,000 people getting mistreated at once, but you shouldn't expect much for a single problem...

Your mileage and your state insurance commission may be different...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Adjusters

Our SOB MH was whacked by a 24" dia oak during Katrina and the adjuster was kind enough to research and locate a "similar" unit that sold in our area for less that 40% of NADA, and thus the first insulting offer. He was also kind enough to point out that their own research determined "market value" and NADA as well as Kelly Blue book did not apply. I asked for my local dealer to offer his input if needed, located 3 similar for-sale units nation wide and suddenly the value jumped to a fair price. Don't take it personal and continue professional discussions. It's their job to minimalize payouts.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Apples and Oranges?!

This might not apply....

Then the wife had a numnut pull out in front of her in her Honda ( I said it might 'directly' apply) the 1st offer was laughable....

I got 3 estimates in a day (drivable car) and had them to the insurance within 24 hours. They still insisted on a local adjuster (we spoke on the phone - he agreed on my #'s but "had to see the vehicle" to concur) so out he came.

Check in the amount I came up with was in the way within 2 weeks!

I figure that the difference was my little bit in keeping the system in balance. I think that if things aren't going your way, HELP THEM SEE YOUR LOGIC. Not a lot of work, but a HUGE difference in the pay-out. Did the repairs myself and pocketed the BIG difference. Car fixed in a day - not 2 weeks like the autobody places said - and the INS saved the car rental. All works out...

Like I said, sorry for the A/O example, but then I figure that my helping them, helped me...

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #69
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I still say your fist order of business should be to make a counter offer. They offered to let you do it...in fact they invited you to make one. I think that was their way of saying, "We know our offer isn't realistic, but we aren't going to give you any more than we have to so we're throwing out a low ball number to see if you take it, if not, you make us an offer and see if we take it." That is the beginning of negotiations. There is no reason to get hostile yet by bringing in lawyers and insurance commissioners yet. First thing they'll ask you is if you made a counter offer. If you didn't, they will advise you to before they will do anything.

If the insurance plays hardball at the point of the counter offer, then is when you take it to the next level. But remember, you will need insurance after this experience is over. You may not want State Farm again, but you don't want to find that you've been black-balled in the industry and have to pay out the wazu to get it somewhere else.

Let us know how the counter offer goes.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
I have watched this thread for sometime and have been some what reluctant to share my experience with my insurance company. On Christmas day of 2006 we were traveling through Georgia and a big trucks tire exploded in front of me. I could not get over because of traffic and long story short ended up hitting the flying debris from the wheel. The damage to the coach was substantial. I call my insurance company from the site of the accident. I have Progressive on the trailer, and to my surprise someone answered the phone. 5 minutes later I had described the problem and was informed that I was covered, not to worry and that the adjuster would be calling me within the next two hours. He did in fact call well within the time and asked where did I want to take it to have it fixed. I told him I thought I could make it to Ocala Fl and Walts RV (the best kept secret among the silvertwinkie crowd) for repair. He said the adjuster would meet Walt the next day in Ocala and work to have the coach back on the road as soon as possible. He had already contacted the trucking company and they admitted responsibility and their insurance will be taking care of my deductible. I have State Farm for my house and because I live in Florida I cannot easily switch to someone else but if I could.... well I would go with some one who doesn't threaten to cancel every time I have a claim. This is just my two cents for what it is worth.
Folkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It's not just State Farm

This problem probably covers the spectrum of insurance companies.
My '98 Safari was totalled in August when I was rear-ended by a commercial truck. I wasn't familiar with the trucks insurance co, my company is Allstate. I ran into all of the issues that the original poster described. Adjustors without a clue, NADA values way below current market, etc. In the end, I lost about $4K on the crash.
I guess one of my biggest disapointments was that Allstate didn't seem to represent me well against the other company.
I'm still looking for a company to insure my current trailer properly. If you've had a GOOD experience, please PM me.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #72
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's been about 12 days since the orig post....any updates?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Good experience...! ? ?

Fry et al -

Not that I have LOADS of experience, and VERY fortunately! NOT with SilverToy.... I have had very good experience with USAA. This is NOT an endorsement, nor do I work for them, or affiliates, etc....

They were very fair when we had a claim for the wife's car (not her fault) and they DID respond VERY positively (in a $ sense) when I made a supremely rightious counter offer to their initial offer... $'s in my pocket....!!!

Best of luck in the INS market!

Peace out.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Ditto

I have also had very positive experiences with USAA.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #75
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We bought our 30' Safari in May '06. We camped in a campground in Chattanooga the Memorial Day Weekend (the weekend we picked it up) and when leaving the campground I cut too short and "brushed" against a guard rail and put a dent/crease from the door to the rear seam on the curb side of the trailer. The very next outing was Father's Day weekend. Just as I was reaching the turn-off to FDR State Park in Pine Mountain, GA a deer darted out just behind my truck and crashed into the front curb side corner of the trailer caving in the stone guard and corner panel behind it. I reported both incidents to my Farm Bureau Agent as separate accidents. He asked where I wanted to take the Airstream for repairs and I told him considering how new it was and the unique construction of Airstreams I wanted to take it back to the factory to have it put back factory new. He said no problem.

I took it to Jackson Center on my nickle (more like quarter) but had it repaired and the check was sent to JC. When I went to pick the trailer up two weeks later, I discovered that JC had quoted both repairs as one. I endorsed the check and wrote a personal check for the $500 difference (one deductible amount) so I could take my trailer home and immediately called my agent the next day and told him about the discrepancy. He told me he would get back with me. That was the second week in August and I have yet to hear from him concerning how to deal with the second deductible. I made careful note of the date I reported this in my calendar so that I could substantiate the date if I am ever accused of insurance fraud.

The total damage for both accidents was $9,700. My cost for the repairs was: $500 for a single deductible; $600 for diesel fuel to drop-off and return two weeks later to retrieve my trailer in JC; $300 in over the road incidentals and campground fees.

Oh yes. Folkie53, you mentioned the treat of cancellation every time you file a claim. The week before I went to pick up my Airstream in JC I received a notice that my premium would be going DOWN! Two weeks later I received a refund check for $94 for over payment when I took out the policy.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
The threat has occurred with State Farm here in FLorida. I had a window broke in my house and just called State Farm to let them know and that I would be replacing it at my own cost. They wrote me a letter saying to effect if I called them again with a loss they would have no choice but to cancel me. Thats why I went with Progressive for my Silvertwinkie and Gieco for my vehicles.. I have had losses on both of these and have never had so much as a ripple of problems. I do not sell insurance nor do I work for either one of them but I have no problem in endorsing either one for the service and the availability. Folkie53
Folkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #77
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
This is the second time I have had insurance with the Farm Bureau. I have only had one claim when someone broke into my house and stole some items. They were very professional, quick to reimburse for loss and easy to work with. Another unnamed insurance company would only insure my Airstream for $5000 at liability only. Not good enough! Now everything is with the Farm Bureau.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #78
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
This is the second time I have had insurance with the Farm Bureau. I have only had one claim when someone broke into my house and stole some items. They were very professional, quick to reimburse for loss and easy to work with. Another unnamed insurance company would only insure my Airstream for $5000 at liability only. Not good enough! Now everything is with the Farm Bureau.
Good luck with Farm Bureau, we have had nothing but headaches with them. We currently have a very large outstanding claim that has been pending for almost 2 years. I have a theory that the insurance companies settle the smaller claims quickly and are more prone to be antagonistic on the larger ones in hope of making a smaller settlement in their favor. I have noted and seen this with other companies too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Wahooc,

Farm Bureau is a state by state insurance. Tennessee farm bureau is a fairly good organization. Has nothing to do with N Carolina.

That can be good or bad. We have no exposure to your storms on the coast but, financial strength is only within a defined state area. An earthquake in western Tenn would probably bankrupt them/us.

I do not know if Farm bureau sells any of their risk to Buffett.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #80
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
Wahooc,

Farm Bureau is a state by state insurance. Tennessee farm bureau is a fairly good organization. Has nothing to do with N Carolina.

That can be good or bad. We have no exposure to your storms on the coast but, financial strength is only within a defined state area. An earthquake in western Tenn would probably bankrupt them/us.

I do not know if Farm bureau sells any of their risk to Buffett.
I am sure they do sell their risk. It is NC Farm Bureau that we are having the issues with. And the state is well aware of it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote