Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #401
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hi, all!
My wife and I are looking for a bunkhouse. Now, we're fully aware of the limited numbers in existence....so we're willing to prove that WE need a trailer more than you do!
I'm just kidding about that....we're not in too big a rush to buy (but the RIGHT trailer might sway us)... but before we do go buy one...

We'd like to actually look at one. In person. Maybe even touch it.

Anyone willing to show theirs off? I don't care if it's in your driveway. I don't care if it smells like your dog. But though we've been in hundreds of Airstreams, we've not been in a bunkhouse.

If anyone has a bunkhouse....in the northeast (we live on Long Island)....can we come take a look? (Rich...? Are you guys at home these days?)

Chuck and Stacy (and Max and Lucien and Colin)
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #402
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Hi Chuck ... haven't seen you since we met in Jamaica VT five years ago!

Our bunkhouse will be back in New England this summer, so if you want to come up to Vermont or the Vintage Trailer Jam in Saratoga Springs (NY), I'll be happy to show it to you!

But really, the bunkhouse is great for a family. You'll love it. If you have specific questions about them, feel free to email me or post 'em here and I'm sure everyone will be happy to help.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #403
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...c=3156&userid=

ahh, those were the days...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #404
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Does anybody know how to remove the motor from the bathroom fan? I can't seem to get it to budge. It doesn't seem to be attached with screws that I can see and it doesn't seem to screw into the bracket. But it is firmly anchored in place. I ordered a new motor from an Airstream dealer and the motor is all I got...no mounting instructions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Vent Fan.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	79489  
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #405
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Navarre , Florida
Still for sale and having it checked out first

Hello, thank you to everyone who has contacted us for your interest.

The airstream is still for sale. I am having it serviced for travel and checked out by an RV tech right now since a few people have been concerned about the lack of use and mileage on it. He picked it up yesterday and should be done this week.

Stay in touch if you are interested and I will let you know his report and when it is ready for the road. Some of you that I have spoken with know that I do not have a vehicle that will tow it so I am having it checked out by a professional. After he is done it will be located in Navarre Florida and should be easier to view.

Thank you again,

Ken Fountain
FlaFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #406
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Conclusion: It's now obvious that the original axle rating, as chosen by Airstream, namely 4400 pounds, was inadequate.

It appears then, that all the bunk house owners may have a forth coming axle problem, depending on use and loading.

Andy
I recently had my bearings packed and the brakes inspected and adjusted at a local utility trailer dealer/shop. I requested that the shop check the rating label on the axles while they had the wheels off and let me know what was installed since my trailer was one of the last Bunk house models built in Jan. '06 just to see if Airstream had made a change from the '05 model year.

The label indicated that Airstream had installed Dexter axles with 4,400 LBS rating. The shop called Dexter to verify the rating. The service writer told me that Dexter told them that Airstream had Dexter to "de-rate" the axles to 4,400 LBS and that they were actually higher rated axles labeled with the lower rating to match Airstream's specs.

The service writer told me they were essentially either 5,200 or 5,500 LBS rated axles with the 4,400 LBS label on them.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #407
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Tongue weight

Has anyone weighed their bunkhouse's tongue?

I've weighed the trailer several times at CAT Scales, so I know what it weighs in total (about 7300 lbs loaded with full water and gear). But I've never disconnected the trailer from the truck while at the scale, nor have I ever weighed the truck without the trailer. Either of those methods would yield the tongue weight, which is a crucial measurement. I plan to do one of them soon.

Another method would be to buy an accurate tongue scale (such as the Sherline scale) but $150 or so is more than I want to spend just for a one-time measurement. The CAT Scale is just $9 per weighing.

Yet another method would be the old "bathroom scale method" but I don't happen to own a bathroom scale, nor the requisite 4x4 board, pipes, and bricks.

I'm asking because I'm curious how much tongue weight our trailer may have picked up as a result of modifications over the years. For example, we've added a Hensley hitch, and two AGM (group 24) batteries in the front compartment. We've also deleted a few things, and modified others, so it's hard to say where the tongue weight has ended up. I'd be interested to compare it to other Safari 30 bunkhouses, if anyone has accurately weighed theirs.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #408
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'll dig out my CAT scale weight receipts tomorrow. I remember the tongue weight came out to be around 730-750 LBS. Overall weight was 7,400 LBS, IIRC.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #409
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Tongue weight confirmed

I now have an actual tongue weight for my trailer. I weighed the tow vehicle (empty) at a local truck scale, and then came back with trailer in tow. The difference on the tow vehicle was 760 lbs, which is 10.1% of the trailer weight.

We have numerous modifications on our trailer, so your bunkhouse tongue weight may be different. I weighed with full water, empty black/gray, two extra batteries in the front compartment, full 30# propane tanks, and a Hensley hitch.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #410
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
I now have an actual tongue weight for my trailer. I weighed the tow vehicle (empty) at a local truck scale, and then came back with trailer in tow. The difference on the tow vehicle was 760 lbs, which is 10.1% of the trailer weight.

We have numerous modifications on our trailer, so your bunkhouse tongue weight may be different. I weighed with full water, empty black/gray, two extra batteries in the front compartment, full 30# propane tanks, and a Hensley hitch.
Rich,

If the trailer was hooked up to the tow vehicle, wouldn't the difference in weight be only the amount of tongue weight transferred to the tow vehicle and not the amount transferred to the trailer axles? I would think that an accurate tongue weight could only be determined by disconnecting the trailer and weighing the trailer with only the jack on the scale.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #411
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Yes, you're right. But the tongue weight I measured is the one that matters for purposes of getting the weight distribution right on the tow vehicle. I was interested in ensuring that I wasn't overloading the tow vehicle. Static tongue weight (disconnected) isn't relevant to the tow vehicle if it gets transferred back to the trailer axles.

I assume my static tongue weight is higher, perhaps by 100 lbs or even more, which still puts the ratio of tongue/trailer in the proper range for good balance and towing performance. Someday if I encounter an accurate tongue scale I'll find out.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #412
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Navarre , Florida
30' Safari Ready for the Road

Hello,

The Airstream is still for sale and has now been successfully serviced and is ready for the road. The wheel bearings have been repacked, the brakes inspected, 4 seals, grease, tires checked out and inflated for travel. Mr. Charlie Guisasola of Gulf Coast Mobile Services who performed the services has over 20 years of experience and reports that it is in great shape. He is also available to transport it and charges $2.50 per mile. I can provide his number to you if you would like to discuss his opinion of the Airstream and the services he provided.

It is available to the first party for purchase at the reduced price of $30,000 which is below the Blue Book value. It is in perfect condition and has had very little use and is like new.

I have moved it to my office parking lot in Navarre, Florida which will make it easier to view.

Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing or arranging to view the Airstream at FountainLaw@GMail.com or by phone at 850-939-3535.

Thank you,

Ken Fountain
FlaFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #413
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Does anybody know how to remove the motor from the bathroom fan? I can't seem to get it to budge. It doesn't seem to be attached with screws that I can see and it doesn't seem to screw into the bracket. But it is firmly anchored in place. I ordered a new motor from an Airstream dealer and the motor is all I got...no mounting instructions!
I climbed up on a ladder and was able to reach the vent cover without having to get on top of the trailer. I removed the caulking and removed the screws holding the vent cover in place. When I removed the cover I saw the two screws Andy told me about. It was a simple process to remove the fan from its shaft and remove the screws and motor and replace the motor. After replacing the fan on the motor shaft, I replaced the cover and applied Sikoflex over the screws.

I couldn't find the Vulkem locally, but my local big orange box home improvement center had the Sikoflex. Then I just reconnected the wires from below and replaced the vent screen (after cleaning it, of course). The fan now works and there have been no leaks from the vent cover screws during any of the many rains we have had since I replace the motor a couple of weeks ago.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #414
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
I haven't located my CAT Scale receipts with the weight results yet. They weren't in the Airstream in the owner's manual satchel like I thought. But as I recall, your results are pretty much the same as mine. I think mine may have been 760 LBS. I do carry four collapsible camp chairs plus all of my camping tools in the storage bay behind the gas bottles. The difference in our trailer vs. yours is that we haven't made the changes in batteries, or other modifications, but we replaced the factory mattress with an inner spring, pillow top mattress plus we have a feather topper on top of that. I'm sure that adds a good bit to the original tongue weight.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #415
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
I am up in Madison, enjoying all the silver in a single location. Walking around the grounds, it appears that I am the sole representative of the Bunkhouse owners club! I have given quite a few tours to folks walking by.

Before leaving, I did a detailed wash of my trailer, including the roof. While up there I noticed that my skylight had begun to crack where the screws are used to mount to the roof. Looking closely, the plastic is very, very brittle after being in the sunlight for 4 years. I picked up a new skylight here for $71 and will install it when I get home.

I recommend that everyone with a 4 year old skylight craw up on the roof and examine it closely.

Rick

Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #416
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Rick, look for us at the flea market on Saturday! We're not parked on site, but will commute in for the day.

Thanks for the tip on the skylight. I was looking up at mine last week and wondering how long it would last. Time to climb up on the roof, I guess.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #417
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Looking forward to our next camping trip. We are going to Grayton Beach for the third week of this month. Anyone been there? We are staying in the State Park. My wife did the research so I don't really have a clue what we will find.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #418
Heavily Armed

2005 30' Safari
Austin , Texas and Colorado...ish
Let the Wild Rumpus commence

I'm taking my bunkhouse down to Port Aransas this weekend, with some of my rowdier friends in tow, ostensibly to fish. But really, I think we can all guess how that's going to go. They tell me that the belt sander races are really quite moving this time of year, and of course chickensh**t bingo is always a crowd pleaser. We may actually even catch some fish. In any event, I believe this trip will be epic. Pics (the tame ones) will be forthcoming, assuming I survive.

Mirthless
Silicis sicco pervestri gallo sicco!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #419
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Austin , Texas
Upper bunk Bed Weight Limit in 2005 Safari Bunkhouse

Hello,

We are newbies in the forum, in advance thanks to all who make this forum a wonderful resource for us who are in the process of learning.

We recently purchased a 2005 Bunkhouse and was wondering if someone knows what the weight limit is on the upper bunk bed.

All the best,
JDEJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #420
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
I'm not sure on the weight limit on the upper bunk, but for some reason I seem to remember something about 100 lbs or so. In transit (storing stuff) I'd keep less weight up there, because of the "bounce" factor.

Overnight, the practical limit is more a matter of human size than weight. Most adults can't fit into the space. I'm 5' 9" and about 155 lbs and I can't sleep up there -- it's just too claustrophobic.

On a totally separate subject, the sales mgr at Can-Am RV told me yesterday that he sold two Safari 30 bunkhouses to an organization that shipped them to Baffin Island, just above the Arctic Circle. Those units probably won't be back, so that's two more off the potential re-sale market!