RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #261
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have had a great first two years without many issues. The only "body" leak we have discovered is the leak Rich described around the front storage bay door. And yes we do have the cracks. I called Airstream and registered the cracks before the warranty ran out this past week and will be taking it to an Airstream dealer with a body shop in a couple of weeks for the repair. I'm hoping that the repair will also stop the leak that occurs only during rain while towing. Beyond that we have had no body leaks.

We have one leak that seems to either be intermediate or a one time leak. Last year during the Can Opener Rally in early January I noticed what appears to be a high pressure water leak. We were using the heat pump but not the A/C. There was a puddle of water that remained constant on the concrete parking pad at the street side front corner even when the heat pump hadn't run for some time. This was well away from both the HVAC condensate drain and from any plumbing and continued all day both days even after the sun had burned off all the dew. I'm thinking that corner might have been a little low and the water ran through the belly pan and dripped out through the seam between the first belly pan segment and the banana wrap segment of the belly pan. I've not been able to replicate the water drip since even when using the A/C in Florida over Spring Break or Memorial Day (Central Florida both occasions). We did, of course, have the drip of the condensate at the wheel well opening on the street side on both trips.

I registered this leak as well as the cracks at the front storage compartment door issue so hopefully the dealer can find it when I leave the trailer for a week at the end of the month.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #262
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I'm thinking that corner might have been a little low and the water ran through the belly pan and dripped out through the seam between the first belly pan segment and the banana wrap segment of the belly pan. I've not been able to replicate the water drip since
Likewise, I have seen this exact same condition occur randomly on our Safari 30 and came to the same conclusion. Condensate water seems to gather overnight in the belly pan under certain circumstances and drip out for hours after the dew is gone. It has even happened in the desert many times.

It is freaky to see, but we've eliminated the possibility of a plumbing leak simply by turning off the pump, city water, and emptying the tanks, so there's no other possible source of the water than condensation. (I also smelled and tasted it -- a risky move -- and it was definitely fresh water.)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #263
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I just had the Dometic refrigerator recall done on our 30BH. The recall was recently expanded to include the units that were installed between 2003 and 2006. They add a heat shield and some wires and a sensor that I presume turns things off if it gets too hot.

I was not notified by Dometic of the recall. I found out about it through an associate.

Check here to see if yours is included. Official Dometic Recall - DometicUSA
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #264
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
I checked and our 05 Safari bunkhouse's refrigerator is included in the recall as well. I immediately checked for evidence of a problem (leaks, yellow stuff, etc) and will schedule the free recall service soon. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #265
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I haven't kept up with the recall issue since it did not include the '06 model 'till recently. I have to check out for this "yellow stuff".
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #266
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Hey....theres a 30BH for sale..!!

Just FYI, there is a BH in the classified section. Kinda spendy, I dont think I paid that much for mine new, however you cant buy one new!!

Fixin'to head out Colorado/Wyoming, heck with gas prices!!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #267
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
I know of another Safari 30 bunkhouse that will be coming on the market in the next 2-3 months. It's a rear twin model with couch, in Midnight Sun, and in excellent condition.

I predict good (not outrageous) selling prices for these used units. Airstream only made a few dozen of this special two-bedroom floorplan, and it seems very unlikely they'll ever make it again. For families, it's a great way to go!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #268
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
River Forest , Illinois
It will be interesting to see how these units sell in the future. With only 78 units made, they should be able to retain their value quite well. I had ours in for service this spring (the front panel crack was repaired) and when I picked it up the sales manager told me that he had two customers who were interested in purchasing my Bunkhouse.

The strong value of our Bunkhouses is great only if we plan on selling. I for one have no interest in parting from my unit anytime soon. Once the children are off to college and beyond, the floor plan would still work nicely for a couple.
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #269
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
COMFORT , Texas
Just wanted to say I've put our bunkhouse on the market 'cuz we've had some changes in our family that may see our 2nd Airstream parked much more than we ever anticipated. We got our first A/S back in '85 (25' side bath-brand new) and used the heck out of it...even lived in it for a year w/ 5 kids...when it was totalled in CO four years ago we felt like we'd been orphaned...until we found your thread and our own Bunkhouse!...so we felt like we'd put a "fleece out there " and it may seem a little high priced but you can't negotiate up if you get an offer the first day you ad it and SafariSS was right ...they don't make 'em anymore..although I'll never know why..anyways although I haven't contributed alot to the column I sure enjoy reading it and have learned a bunch...including just having my Dometic refrigerator mod put in because someone in our group alerted me to it...Thanks...and who knows? if we don't get a decent offer we may be pulling it around years from now...Lord knows...
p.s. for those of you (mostly the wives) that are trying to figure out how we had 5 kids back in the 80's and have 5 kids today..we had 7 kids that span 18 years youngest is now 12 ...Thanks again for all your contributions ..Don
captdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #270
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
captdaddy, I'd love to see you get your asking price. It would be neat indeed if the Safari 30 held its value that well. That would certainly be an affirmation that the unique floorplan is something special -- which of course, all us owners already know!

Like Rick Gillis, we don't expect to sell ours anytime in the foreseeable future. It's just too darned useful, and as long as we are going on extended trips, I can't see any other floorplan that would work as well for us.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #271
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
It seems my storage compartment cracks were a mistake? I checked it closer this past weekend while camping in central Florida and couldn't find them. I may just not be looking in the right place. I kind of had hoped they were there since I had reported them before the warranty ran out and arranged to have them repaired. Now, if they do show up in the future it looks like the repair will be at my expense. Personally, since virtually all of the 30' Safaris have this problem, I shouldn't have to pay for it if they do show up.

The link on the Dometic recall isn't working so I haven't been able to research that issue to see if I need to take it in for that. After the week long trip the week of the 4th I'll be bringing her home and can take her back to the selling dealer if I need to.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #272
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Bunkhouse...

We have 4 girls, and the bunkhouse is the bomb, coming up on our 2 year anniversary. It would be funny if the one floorplan that was a dealer lot queen (most units sat for a year) ended up being valuable.

What a great layout, great storage and lightwieght gvw.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #273
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
Falls City , Texas
Howdy, all! Have been following this thread closely since it began. Hubby and I (and 4 sons) have been in the market for a BH model for almost a year now. Too bad we were not in a position to purchase one new. We thought we found one; however, about the time that we could swing the purchase that unit sold. Since then, have seen 2 units up for sale w/ pricey tags. Although we are very motivated buyers, and are willing to pay a fair price, we can't justify an overinflated $$ purchase. Still interested, still looking......
Rich, keep us posted on the unit coming up for sale, please. Thanks!

"A fairly bright boy is far more intelligent and far better company than the average adult." --John B. Haldane
campw/4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #274
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Too late! Our refrigerator is dead

This isn't specifically a bunkhouse issue, but FYI:

Tour of America Meltdown

I strongly recommend that everyone with a recalled Dometic refrigerator get the recall kit installed as soon as possible. We could have had a fire resulting from this failure, which would have been catastrophic.

To check if your refrigerator is in the recall, visit: Official Dometic Recall - DometicUSA

Old 07-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #275
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Hey Rich..

Thanks for the reminder, mine is affected and the BH is a early 05. Unfortunately we are going cross country right now. I hope she hangs in there til we get back...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #276
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey Rich and SafariSS,

We are also midcountry and will be unable to attend to the fridge recall. Were you able to see fatigue cracks in any of the tubing? The question I have is how does the potential leak of refrigerant start a fire? I just learning about this, and haven't had time to do any research. BTW, we are in Salina, KS. Happy trails SafariSS.

Bye,
Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #277
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Fridge Fire..

RossFam..

I have no idea how the fridge leaking what is basically ammonia causes a fire. Is ammonia flammable? I know with another RV we had when the ammonia let go the smell ran us out of the trailer.

Have a good trip, we are in Alamosa Colorado heading to Wyoming next....
Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #278
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
COMFORT , Texas
Dometic recall

I had my fridge done at a dealership in San Antonio that handles Dometic products...most larger RV places will have plenty of these kits in stock for your Airstream...when I called about mine they just said come on in and they'd do it right then....have your serial number and model number handy and it'll go pretty quick....it took a whole hour and a half and half that's waiti ng to get in and out...be safe and get 'er done....
captdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #279
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Well....it finally happenend...

Well, while trying to get out to the Colorado Boondock Rally on National Forest land we tore the plumbing out from under the Bunkhouse. We traversed about 78 miles of dirt forest roads climbing to almost 11,200 feet when one side dropped into a little hole, when I looked out the window of the Suburban, all I saw was a 3" stream of blue water! Luckily I had just dumped it in anticipation of boondocking for three days so only clean water was in there!

Amazingly the pipe going to the grey water tank was spared. I just cruised back into Alamosa to find some pvc so that I can at least have a black water tank. We still have 2.5 weeks left on our trip!!

I will upload some pics later. I can also attest to the ridgidity of the frame on the BH. I had to turn around on a knarly forest road, backing the trailer up an incline, hard to describe. When it was all over I got it turned around but I had it sitting on the bumper draggers and hitch only, the wheels were suspended about 2"!! What is really crazy is the plumbing made it past that, but fell to the rutted hole!
Old 07-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #280
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
SafariSS, sorry to hear about the damage. Hopefully the black tank valve repair will be easy.

I would be very interested if you could take a close look at the row of rivets under the front storage compartment door, and report on their condition. One theory holds that stress on the rear scrapers will transfer to the front, and break those rivets. This may appear as loose rivets, missing heads, or black circles around the heads (which is caused by loose rivets rubbing). Also, note if you have cracks in the aluminum near the lower corners of the front compartment door, and if those cracks have gotten longer.

If you notice a lot of those rivets breaking since you had it sitting on the scrapers, it may lend credence to the theory that broken rivets up front and the cracking aluminum are the result of scraping by us owners, rather than a design flaw. If those rivets on your trailer are good now and don't fail in the next few hundred miles, that may refute the theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
We are also midcountry and will be unable to attend to the fridge recall. Were you able to see fatigue cracks in any of the tubing? The question I have is how does the potential leak of refrigerant start a fire?
The area that cracks is near the heating element, which is hidden by the chimney. I could not see anything abnormal until the obvious dribble of yellow coolant when it suddenly cracked. Note that the recall doesn't prevent the cracking, it only contains the leak to prevent a fire.

According to Dometic's filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

"In order to have a fire, at a minimum, all of the following conditions must exist:
1. The refrigerator must be on and normally operating;
2. The boiler tube must develop a throughway fatigue crack within a specific size range;
3. There must be a release of the cooling solution at a rate which will allow the accumulation of the cooling solution at a concentration and temperature within its range of flammability; and
4. There must be ignition source present

If any of these conditions are not present, a release of the cooling solution will not result in a fire. A boiler fatigue crack with a loss of cooling solution without ignition would result in a non-operational refrigerator and does not present a fire safety issue."

According to Dometic, they've tested and statistically proven that 99.9% of refrigerators in the recall will not have a fire. Still, that's a lot better chance than getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery. So everyone needs to get the kit.

The irony for us is that our replacement refrigerator is also affected by the recall, so we still have to get the kit installed too!