RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #601
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
We made it by bates today on our way to the airport to look at the new bunkhouse. This is being written from my iphone, so will be short with lots of errors.

I grew up an Airstreamer, parents had 4 and we currently own an 05 bunkhouse, which has also been our full time home for the past 5 months since we sold our house. Prior to that I owned an 05 classic that I bought new and was my full time home while I was in the military.

Good points;

Love the u lounge, the marine style head (toilet) (normal height), the aluminum interior, the upgraded windows, larger bedroom entry, main room tv placement (on refer foward wall), kitchen has more room then the photos give justice, microwave placement, led lighting, no carpet, no ugly and terribly designed sewer pipes at tail, and 2 ac units!!

Bad points;

Door still hits open u lounge window, axels are still 4400 lbs (should be 5k for lots of family junk), light colored soft leather probably not good choice for family with kids, no oven (wife likes to bake, some may not miss), and difficult access to top bunk with queen option (we have lower single so this may also be same in older bunk queen models).

Overall I think it is well designed, improved and still one of the most ingenious and efficient floor plans airstream offers. Stephen at bates was kind enough to allow us a few minutes to look around. No price on unit, or in the sales list yet... I wonder what it will b? I think a u lounge modification is in the future of our 05 bunk .

- Tavis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-241749473.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	174475   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2497424608.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	174476  

Name:	image-1446181104.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	174477   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2018020810.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	174478  

Name:	image-617264866.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	174479  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #602
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
1970 23' Safari
Ham , Ontario
I wonder why no price point has been established or at least shared yet!!!
Thanks for the pics. I'm awaiting some from dealer.
Hopefully, they at least made them 50 Amp service with 2 AC units!
AirHead2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #603
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
So far there is just an estimated price on it. Airstream often needs a little time after the introduction of a prototype to make and tweaks and finalize pricing. Estimated base price is 81,500 and from what I can remember the only options are similar to the other 30' Flying Clouds and a second AC with 50 amp is one of them.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #604
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Hello everyone has anyone modified the rear bumper to make a larger storage area? Also thinking of adding a mod for a close line. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #605
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Anyone out there... No comments...?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #606
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Pawnguy, not sure why nobody else replied but you are not supposed to out any weight on the rear frame/bumper on any airstream. The body is actually part of fhe structure and what happens is the frame rail portion of the structure will separate from the aluminum monocoque structure. Old late to mid 70s trailers did this when they put the waste tank right on the ass end.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #607
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Thanks SS. Was thinking maybe this thread went offline and I did t get the memo. Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #608
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Added new batteries to the Bunkhouse today. I have two 140w solar panels and we really enjoy off the grid camping so I decided to add some efficiency and capacity. The batteries stock are like all late model Airstreams, in the Y of the tongue. The safaris converter is mid rear ship so you get some voltage drop, especially on the runs with the solar charge.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130630_001541.png
Views:	176
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	189725

My bunkhouse has the rear queen and while we do use all the bin storage areas the one under the bunk is particularly deep. Perfect for the two new 300ah 6v lifeline batteries. They are now close to converter, and distance ftom solar array is way better, maybe 15 feet. Added benefit was to get the stock batteries off the tongue (103lbs).

Found some of the factory wiring to be lacking, such as #10 wire with a #12 in line fuse holder, as well as a ton of scary butt joints. These will have to wait and I will have to tend to them on a time available basis.

Just now 7 years old now ( wow time flies), still love this plan.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130630_002356.png
Views:	180
Size:	607.6 KB
ID:	189728
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #609
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Location of new batts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
Added new batteries to the Bunkhouse today. I have two 140w solar panels and we really enjoy off the grid camping so I decided to add some efficiency and capacity. The batteries stock are like all late model Airstreams, in the Y of the tongue. The safaris converter is mid rear ship so you get some voltage drop, especially on the runs with the solar charge.

Attachment 189725

My bunkhouse has the rear queen and while we do use all the bin storage areas the one under the bunk is particularly deep. Perfect for the two new 300ah 6v lifeline batteries. They are now close to converter, and distance ftom solar array is way better, maybe 15 feet. Added benefit was to get the stock batteries off the tongue (103lbs).

Found some of the factory wiring to be lacking, such as #10 wire with a #12 in line fuse holder, as well as a ton of scary butt joints. These will have to wait and I will have to tend to them on a time available basis.

Just now 7 years old now ( wow time flies), still love this plan.

Attachment 189728
Still trying to figure where you added them. Is it under the queen bed? I would like to move my battery box as well. Its tough to get to the batteries for service. I added some slightly larger batts and had to modify the plastic tray the batts sit in. And also had to remove some rivets from the lid. Thanks for the info. We have our queen bed in the front.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #610
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Pawnguy, I added them under the rear bunk queen bed at the back of the bin compartment. I guess my photos did not make it?

Name:	ForumRunner_20130701_183018.png
Views:	112
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	189897

The batteries I used were 13" tall. Proximity to converter is awesome, closer to solar drop, off tongue.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #611
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Replacing Carpet and Vinyl

Hello our 2005 Bunkhouse is in need of new floor coverings. How hard is it to replace. Was thinking of taking carpet out and just putting down vinyl. Whats your thoughts. It seems the previous owner had cats. when the carpet gets wet it smells like cat pee... Its gross. Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #612
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Not to costly to change, just have to figure out how you want to finish out where the floors meet the walls/cabinets. I want to loose the carpet in my front bedroom as well..
Old 08-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #613
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We install Laminate Flooring in a lot of units. It finishes off neater than vinyl because you do not need moldings around all the edges to hold it down.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #614
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
How does it handle water. Seems every time we turn around its a water issue. How does it hold up if it gets wet? That was my concern with that.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #615
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
PharmGeek!

Where you at, my man?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #616
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well...im not in the club yet

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #617
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
im vasillating about the decision of which ultraleather...the tan type or dark/black one....

We had initially liked the tan...but honestly on the fence...

We have a very dark brown ottoman at home and it has taken a beating from kids and so far cleans up really nice...im not really sure which color will be better for kids and for general aesthetics...we liked the lighter color a bit cause we felt like it would keep things brighter a bit with ambient light...

Thoughts...?

Our 2013 FC bunkhouse is on order for mid-october from Foley RV
2nd AC, ultraleather (told dealer golden, for now), 1000w inverter (they do not do the 600w anymore im told in this one), awnings package, eddie bower 16' wheels and michellin tires, and pro-pride hitch will be installed by dealer with a discount on the hitch of 600 bucks off with their install.

We are getting super excited...hate the wait.

Also, what is this biz about a macerator toilet? I think I know what that is...its an electric pump that grinds up your waste...but Andrew T said earlier that this is integrated into the new BH flying cloud? explain what is meant with that? Like a macerator between toilet and black tank? or when dumping? Ive seen the macerator pumps used for dumping waste (to more easily move uphill)...?

My kids upon pickup will be a boy a bit over 3 and my daughter will be 10 months...

My son is less and less messy with spills and stuff...but I will be going through my 10 month old learning to just walk and all the messes associated with all of this transition...

Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #618
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
also we have a boston terrier....perhaps I will just cover all surfaces with contractor plastic until the kids move out

Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #619
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
"Also, what is this biz about a macerator toilet?"

You have the concept, we currently run one in a boat the family owns. Basically the waste is sucked down a small hole in the head (toliet), goes through a grinding process, and is deposited to the holding tank via suction. Benefits are the waste takes less volume and gravity is no longer a requirement for transporting the waste. The first version of the Bunkhouse had an undesirable location for the blackwater tank which limited the size, and made unsightly and vunerable plumbing at the rear of the trailer. Your rig has the blackwater tank forward of the older bunkhouse.

You are going to love your rig. My wife, child and I love ours, easily the best investment we have ever made! We even lived in ours full time last year as my job was moving us around and brought our son home to the bunkhouse from the hospital after he was born.
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #620
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"and brought our son home to the bunkhouse from the hospital after he was born."

cute..perhaps PM me a photo or two some time...very cool

But to clarify, you do still need gravity to DUMP the waste from the black tank...just not so much from it falling from head to black tank correct? you would need another macerator pump for dumping to move the waste uphill...assuming I am getting the idea of this.

I guess this means if the batteries go dead for some reason, dont flush the toilet? I will for a while not push such boundries at all in boondocking, so this is more of an academic question.

Thanks...learning more about my new rig helps the aluminitis that is causing me to metaphorically itch my azz off for now