RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #381
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
What does that mean for the rest of us? Do we get warranty replacements? Extended warranties on the original axles at no cost? Obviously, it was an error in design if the axle should have been the 5,500 LBS. axle.
I don't believe Airstream's posture would be anything but "you overloaded your trailer."

That being the case, a warranty issue would not come into play.

All we can do is to identify the problem, and come up with a fix.

The problem has been clearly identified.

Next step is the fix.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #382
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Let's not panic. As Andy notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
...bunk house owners may have a forth coming axle problem, depending on use and loading.
(Emphasis mine.)

Given that we kept our Airstream fully loaded for three years, lived in it full-time, and towed it over 60,000 miles, it's not surprising my trailer shows more wear and tear than the average.

So far, I've only seen one other bunkhouse that showed an axle angle that suggested a possible issue. The others appear to be within specs. So most of you probably don't have anything to worry about. And if you do have a problem, a fix is readily available.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #383
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Anybody have a real world weight on these trailers?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #384
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
We've weighed ours at CAT scales several times. In 2005 we recorded a weight of 7,040 lbs on the axles. (Tongue weight was additional but doesn't show up directly on the weight receipt, because tongue weight sits on the truck.) In 2006 we recorded a weight of 7,320 on the axles, and that's probably the heaviest we've ever been. We always weighed with full water in the fresh tank and full propane. We have never towed overweight, so I assume it was the heavy use that stressed our axles.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #385
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'll post my axle weights when I get home. I weighed mine a few months ago and was below the max that Airstream had posted on their website for our trailer and are in the '05 book. Unfortunately, my brief case got stolen with my '06 brochure in it, but I doubt there is any difference in the limits.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #386
Heavily Armed

2005 30' Safari
Austin , Texas and Colorado...ish
Bunkhouse questions

I may well be posting this incorrectly, if so my apologies. In any case, I recently purchased my own 2005 bunkhouse. I know diddly about rv's, and would like to ask anyone and everyone what modifications they would suggest I make now, before things go badly wrong. Bigger axles? Bigger hot water heater (I have a wife who likes her hot water)? Twin turret roof mounted belt fed machine guns? If anyone's been itching to share their insights with a grateful new owner, now's the time.
Mirthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #387
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirthless View Post
I may well be posting this incorrectly, if so my apologies. In any case, I recently purchased my own 2005 bunkhouse. I know diddly about rv's, and would like to ask anyone and everyone what modifications they would suggest I make now, before things go badly wrong. Bigger axles? Bigger hot water heater (I have a wife who likes her hot water)? Twin turret roof mounted belt fed machine guns? If anyone's been itching to share their insights with a grateful new owner, now's the time.
If you will travel with consideable weight, you can upgrade to a higher axle rating, if you so choose.

Many things can be added, depending on your wishes, within reason.

Andy
Old 03-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #388
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Bigger hot water heater (I have a wife who likes her hot water)? Twin turret roof mounted belt fed machine guns? If anyone's been itching to share their insights with a grateful new owner, now's the time.
Andy has addressed the axle issue for you. The twin turret roof mounted belt fed machine guns really sound cool, but might get in the way of some low hanging tree branches.

As far as larger hot water heaters, sorry, but you are stuck with the six gallon size unless you do major remodeling. There just isn't room for a larger unit.

If you read through this thread you will find some of the ideas folks have put into their 30' Safaris. There is also a thread, sorry can't remember the name, about a multitude of improvements that have been made to a Classic model. We have found our 30' Safari to be very serviceable just the way it came from the factory. The only changes we have made is the bed spreads. We didn't like the ones that came with ours and they were too heavy so my wife found some that matched (twins and a queen) and altered them herself to match the curves of the mattresses.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #389
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
We love our 30í BH. ďThe only three bedroom AirstreamĒ

Here are a few tips specific to your new AS. The forums are a great resource for advice that will apply to all models.

I think you'll find the water heater to be adequate, but you might want to carry a couple (A93866) thermal cutoffs incase you need a new one. When they go bad, the heater wonít work anymore.

Itís important to have this camper leveled correctly, to insure that your shower drains, since the drain plumbing wraps all the way around the back.

Your front storage compartment door will get dinged up if you let it hit your torsion bar clamps.

Make sure to secure the bedroom door before you hit the road or it will come off its track.

Donít open the window over your couch/chairs (depends on model). The entry door will hit an open window.

Watch out for your holding tank drain. Itís way out back and kind of low. A few owners have broken it when exiting steep driveways, or going on rough roads.

You have a big awning. Make sure to drop the back down a bit to encourage water runoff and avoid breaking a support rod.

If your fantastic fan vents close when they sense moisture, they will open again when itís dry, so be sure to turn them off when they are closed.

Read Rich Luhrís blog at AirstreamLife.com. He and his family went full timing in a 30í BH just like yours and encountered and overcame many challenges.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #390
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Oh yeah, one more thing, welcome to the club.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #391
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Please read poast # 377 above.

We suspect far more owners will share the same problems as Rich Luhr has with the axles on that model.

Andy
Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #392
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Rivet Congrats!

Quote:
... I recently purchased my own 2005 bunkhouse.
Hi Mirthless,

Congrats on the "new" bunkhouse! So psyched for you and your family

I was down at Colonial Airstream recently, dropping my 25'FB off for service, and hoped to take a look at one on their lot, but it had just sold. I'm guessing that might have been you?

One of these days I'll get to see the inside of one! I'm sure the pics don't do it justice

Enjoy!!!!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #393
Heavily Armed

2005 30' Safari
Wasn't me

Nope, I bought mine from a guy in Ohio. I think there may well be one in Austin, Tx. for sale, but I can't remember what the place is called. Also, if you buy in Tx., you'll pay more, at least in my experience.
Mirthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #394
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Navarre , Florida
Safari 30 Bunkhouse for Sale in FL

Hello,

I was unable to post pictures to this site but I have an ad and a 30'Safari Bunkhouse for sale in excellent condition..

check out my ad on craigslist for some pictures and email me at FountainLaw@gmail.com for more pictures or information...

but here is a link with a few pictures from my ad on craigslist which worked..

Original URL:http://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs/1112321244.html

Thank you,

Ken
FlaFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #395
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Navarre , Florida
did this work?

pictures maybe..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 023.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	78396   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 024.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	78397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 052.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	78398   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 065.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	78399  

Old 04-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #396
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums and to the 30' Safari bunkhouse owners club. Sorry it will be temporary. Looks like you have a great unit. Good luck with the sale. If you decide to keep it, you are just around the corner from our annual Can Opener rally in January every year. Join us if you still have your Bunkhouse then.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #397
Heavily Armed

2005 30' Safari
Cabela's Portable Solar Panel...thingy

Cabela's -- Sunforce 60-watt Solar Charging Kit

I'm wondering if this thing will actually supply enough power to make it worth buying. What do you veteran boondocker type folks think about this bidness? The wife and I are bout ready to head up to the summer pasture, soon as her lasik action is done... doing w/e it needs to do, and having more power for gadgets equals less bored wife tantrums whilst I'm out hunting/fishing/etc.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #398
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Cabela's -- Sunforce 60-watt Solar Charging Kit

I'm wondering if this thing will actually supply enough power to make it worth buying. What do you veteran boondocker type folks think about this bidness? The wife and I are bout ready to head up to the summer pasture, soon as her lasik action is done... doing w/e it needs to do, and having more power for gadgets equals less bored wife tantrums whilst I'm out hunting/fishing/etc.
Having a solar when booning, is great.

Why do you want or need the "inverter" that comes with that kit?

Having one or two solar panels mounted on the roof, is all you would normally need.

Make sure that a regulator and a reverse current "diode' protector is also installed.

Andy
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #399
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Navarre , Florida
Thanks for the welcome Minnie's Mate...wife says that it has to go..marked down to $30,000...I also noticed that you pull yours with a 250..is that sufficient?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #400
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaFountain View Post
Thanks for the welcome Minnie's Mate...wife says that it has to go..marked down to $30,000...I also noticed that you pull yours with a 250..is that sufficient?
Oh yeah, it is sufficient. We could use my wife's Expedition to tow with, but we live near the mountains and camp there several times a year so I wanted sufficient torque to handle them. I tend to keep vehicles on average eight years or more so I was interested in longevity. Also, we go to Fort Wilderness several times a year (last year was six times and the year before was five times) and we take our golf cart with us on each trip. We can carry the golf cart in the bed and tow the Airstream with plenty of power to spare.
WBCCI# 4821