RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #541
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
You may have to adjust the valve in the shower to allow you to mix in more cold water (requires removal of the valve handle and adjusting the valve itself) or you may be able to adjust the valves in the small trunk on the curb side of the rear of the trailer (there is a red line from the water heater and a blue one for the cold water)...at least that's where I think they are. It has been so long since I had to winterize I have forgotten where the cut-offs are. LOL.
Minnie's thanks for the advice. Our facet is also leaking so we are replacing that then looking into the curb water valves. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #542
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Thinking it is our shower facet. Do those go bad very often? The facet in the kitchen works great with hot and cold mix. The shower is extra Hot which we are thinking the facet is bad. The shower is also not shutting off all the way. So I'm thinking it needs replaced. How hard is it to replace the shower facet? It looks almost like the entire shower how to be taken out. I'm hoping it doesn't have to me. Pointers and help would be a blessing. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #543
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Where did the Airstream spend it's winter before you purchased it? I'm thinking that it may not have been properly winterized and water froze in the shower plumbing including the shower faucet. This would account for some/all of the leaks in that area.

I will add this: I recall it took us a while to get used to how hot the water was in our shower when we first got it. I don't know if it worked its way out on its own or we just got used to how hot it could be and just always turned it on just barely so we got enough pressure without too much hot water in the mix.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #544
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Shower valve replacement

The only thing you would have to replace on the shower valve would be the mixing valve cartridge. On my Bunkhouse the shower valve is a moen brand and you can parts for these at Lowes. The cartridge resides behind the handle which is removed by a Allen wrench on the bottom. The other thing to check is the faucet has a "anti scald" feature and it essentially adjust the stops on the high and low of each temp.

Don't take the shower out!!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #545
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
My camper is already down at the river which is an hour and half away. Anyway I could get parts I need to repair it without having to drive there and get it then drive back to lowes? didn't know if those shower parts are similar or if they are just a lot of different part numbers. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #546
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Where did the Airstream spend it's winter before you purchased it? I'm thinking that it may not have been properly winterized and water froze in the shower plumbing including the shower faucet. This would account for some/all of the leaks in that area.

I will add this: I recall it took us a while to get used to how hot the water was in our shower when we first got it. I don't know if it worked its way out on its own or we just got used to how hot it could be and just always turned it on just barely so we got enough pressure without too much hot water in the mix.
It spent its winter in KC Mo. And yes they did not winterize it. What else should I look at because of it? I've replaced the hot water heater, the toilet and now looking into the shower. Thanks Minnie for the info.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #547
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
The only thing you would have to replace on the shower valve would be the mixing valve cartridge. On my Bunkhouse the shower valve is a moen brand and you can parts for these at Lowes. The cartridge resides behind the handle which is removed by a Allen wrench on the bottom. The other thing to check is the faucet has a "anti scald" feature and it essentially adjust the stops on the high and low of each temp.

Don't take the shower out!!
SS I'll look into that this weekend. Wondering of I could buy the parts I may need to repair it without making 2 trips? I wouldn't mind buying a few parts just in case. The shower nozzle also will not shut off the water all the way when lathering up. Which is pretty minor problem compared to the burning effect of the boiling water. I'm not a hot shower taken to start with. So the extra hot water seems extra hot to me. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #548
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnguy View Post
The shower nozzle also will not shut off the water all the way when lathering up. Which is pretty minor problem....
The shower head will not completely shut off the water. There are several hypotheses as to why Airstream did this. One is so that there would be no back flow into the water system. Another, which typically isn't necessary, is that by having a strong trickle of water, the water won't go cold while lathering and have cold water come out first when the water flow is turned back on. Neither of these makes much sense to me. But anyway, the flow doesn't stop completely. Some Airstream owners will keep a bucket in the shower to place the shower head in while lathering so they can use that water to flush with when they are boon docking or for other non-cooking, non-dish washing needs to preserve water.

You should find the manual to the shower faucet in the literature that Airstream provides. You should be able to get the part number for the cartridge from this manual. If you didn't get the manuals you can call Airstream and get the numbers from them...try (937) 596-6111 and ask for the Parts Department. They would also be able to tell you how to adjust the max/min temperature stop as mentioned above. I've done it on residential applications but it has been too long for me to give you accurate advise now.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #549
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Has anyone replaced their Bunkhouse skylight with one from Maxim? Wanting to know the size. Also, any thoughts on glazing options?

2017 25' Safari FB - Fly Fish Inn
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #550
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Bunkhouse 6 year anniversary...

We just returned from a 4470 mile summer vacation from Texas to Wyoming and the long way back! We have just over 70k of towing since my purchasing it new back in 06. Trailer did great again, floorplan continues to amaze me as it has so much storage. We have 5 girls from 16 to 2 and my wife and I, we have plenty of storage and are not cramped. Very comfortable.

Here we are doing an overnight in a high school maintenance lot. It really is true after boondocking a while you start to learn depending on what day it is of the week and where to find quiet sleeping areas!

We are planning a mild interior rework as it is showing a little wear. Thinking of a flooring update, curtains, recover dinnette and got to do something with the non mounted two chairs. I like the dinnette for the adults but the chairs are far to large and bulky and we are tired of them floating around the cabin during travel.

We almost left the whole rig in Denver for the Alumafandango but man it was hot up there! We had been in 70 degree temps for almost two weeks and it was hard going back to heat.

Always enjoying seeing other Bunkhouses.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #551
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
waunakee , Wisconsin
Newbee Questions

We are new to rv'ing and have looked at both the Airstream and the square box bunkhouses. We love the idea of buying quality to last. We have 5 kids ranging from 11 to 2 and a half. I found a used Safari bunkhouse but am concerned about sleeping space and towing. I have a 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L V8 with the towing package and the book says my max is 9100 lbs tow wt and 16,000 lbs combined. Would I be pushing it with the bunkhouse's 6215 dry wt and 8400 GVWR? I know I'm be able to kick older kids into tents for more room at some point, but for now it I want to be confident on towing it safely. Any advice?
badgerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #552
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
Always enjoying seeing other Bunkhouses.
Thanks for the trip update. I notice that you have replaced most of the street side windows with real Airstream windows. Mind giving some of the details...who did it for you, how long did it take them, was there any modifications that had to be done (understand the curve of the opening isn't a perfect match), and may I be so bold as to ask the cost of replacements?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #553
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfamily View Post
We are new to rv'ing and have looked at both the Airstream and the square box bunkhouses. We love the idea of buying quality to last. We have 5 kids ranging from 11 to 2 and a half. I found a used Safari bunkhouse but am concerned about sleeping space and towing. I have a 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L V8 with the towing package and the book says my max is 9100 lbs tow wt and 16,000 lbs combined. Would I be pushing it with the bunkhouse's 6215 dry wt and 8400 GVWR? I know I'm be able to kick older kids into tents for more room at some point, but for now it I want to be confident on towing it safely. Any advice?
For what it is worth: I wouldn't think that the weight difference between the BunkHouse Airstream and any other "box" camper would vary greatly. Yes, I think that you can tow the Airstream with your Sequoia. But, as my husband and I always say: "it ain't about pulling it is about stopping." In other words we feel that it is best to think about emergency situations and how to make your set-up as safe as possible while pulling. We have a 2000 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 Diesel rated to tow 10,000 lbs. We have modified our Excursion for extra boost, we added an exhaust break and we added a Hensley Arrow hitch (before we had just the Equalizer hitch). All of these things - especially the exhaust break - we feel have added to our safety in having to deal with various situations while towing. You could think about modifications depending on your needs.

Your didn't say in your post how far you will travel or what parts of the country you travel in or if you currently own a "box" travel trailer.

We tow our Airstream an average of 6,500 - 8,000 miles a year. We do travel from Phoenix north to CO, WY & MT (through the Rockies). We also travel to ME from AZ. We feel all the improvements we added to our tow vehicle have greatly increased our safety in dealing with heavy crosswinds, emergency actions to avoid something in the road (such as Deer, Elk or Moose) and the comfort of having more power when we need to accelerate. Our next improvement will probably be Disk Brakes on our Airstream.

Before we bought our Airstream we rented a "box" trailer with a slide and pulled it up to Yellowstone from Phoenix. We happened to find the exact model of the one we were thinking about purchansing for rent privately. After that experience we were sold on the Airstream. We really did not like that type of trailer. Pulling the Airstream over the "box" was night and day. We have never, ever regretted our decision. If you don't currently own a camper I would highly recommend this as well in your decision making process.

Obviously, I have an Airstream Bunkhouse, so I think it is a great travel trailer and would highly recommend it -- For a little background -- We bought ours new in the summer of 2005. DS11 and DD9 still easily fit and sleep on the bunkbeds in the rear. We live in our Airstream for 6 - 8 weeks over the course of the summer.

Best of luck with your decision! Hope my comments are helpful.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #554
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The Excursion is a great SUV for towing almost anything. However, the Sequoia should be adequate as long as you stay within the towing guidelines from Toyota.

Yes, extra horsepower is nice especially in mountains, but plenty of other people tow white boxes, and Airstreams too, with plenty of success. Typically, Airstreams are lighter than a similar white box trailer. Having found myself in an emergency breaking situation in the rain while towing our Bunkhouse, I can tell you that as long as you don't panic, the Airstream can take care of itself if the brake controller is properly set up. You should be setting up the brake controller to compensate for the pushing of the trailer to prevent jackknifing; so the main thing in my situation was to control the tow vechicle and let the Airstream follow. In other words, in my emergency braking situation, I kept the truck straight and in my lane and the Airstream more or less created drag to help stop the truck and keep both straight in line. Had the brake controller been set too low, the trailer would have pushed on the truck and possibly caused a jack knife or cause the braking distance to be greater.

Set up your rig properly with a good hitching system and the brake controller properly set and take it easy with the Tundra and you should be fine. If you plan on full timing or really frequent trips you might look to upgrade at some point down the road. (Pardon the pun )
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #555
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Bunkhousing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfamily View Post
Hey Badgerfamily,

After looking back in 05 at other brands of trailers I was basically where you guys are at. I looked at 3-4 year old other brand box trailers and saw how they were really wearing poorly, delaminated sides, leaking rubber roofs, jacked up profiles..etc. I snatched up one of the last Safari 30s in the summer of 06 and have enjoyed the last 6 years of ownership. I tow with a Suburban 3/4 ton (8.1 liter engine) with great ease but this is a little more tow vehicle than one would really need. Obviously having 5 kids I need the seating room but i wanted space behind the third row for a dog sometimes and a cooler for drinks etc. I get a solid 11mpg towing at my average tow weight of 7,400 lbs with full water camping for a week gear load.

My Safari has the rear double lower bunk, single upper bunk and side dinette rather than the gaucho. We have two tall teenage girls that sleep on the lower rear double, one tall teenage girl that sleeps on the upper bunk and the two little kids (8 and 2) sleep on the folded dinette. I like the side dinette as the wife and i can have coffee etc in the early morning and not have to walk around beds etc. Cloths and storage is awesome in teh bunkhouse. We all use the plastic bins provided by airstream. Three verticle bins by the refrigerator, one under the rear double bed, one under the main bedroom bed for all of the kids. The wife and I have each a bin under the front bed plus each a hanging locker and overhead. We did our over two week trip this year and were able to stay organized and clean with no issues. We can even boondock for three days with our gang and water capacity is not an issue with prudent use. I did have the factory install two 130watt solar panels and two extra batteries for boondocking which has worked out great.

Minnes Mate - we had Jackson Center install all of the big windows (4) and also had the inside of the entry door reskinned with shiny aluminum and install a international style window in the door. We have totally enjoyed the larger windows for boondocking. We were in Dinosaur Monument for two nights this summer and it only got down to mid 70s at night but we were comfortable with a light breeze and windows open. How much? whew...about 900 bucks per window. But, I have a trailer that is exactly like I like and plan on keeping it as long as I am still moving..

Windows fit great. If you did not know the Safari 30 had the Hehr windows you would never know. Holes required trimming in the corners but that was it, actually the Outside diameter of the new windows is slightly larger making any old sealant etc a non issue.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #556
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
This past weekend was my birthday, so I wanted to spend it in the Texas hill country. My kids made me a Bunkhouse cake!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-469062485.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	622.4 KB
ID:	165784  
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #557
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Basic questions on Bunkhouse

Hi -

New member to the forum...

While I've always coveted an Airstream, I had not been including them in our search for a new trailer as we have been concentrating on bunkhouse models. And Airstream does not make a bunkhouse!

Then to my surprise I discovered that Airstream made a bunkhouse in '05 and '06. Wow - impressive layout. IMHO - a better layout then available from any other manufacturer. And I've looked at a lot of trailers!

Now concentrating on looking for an Airstream bunk. A few questions prior to examining any in the flesh...

1. Where is the spare tire (on the LS model)?
2. Where are the batteries kept?

I've read through all the postings to this tread - some very useful information on what to look for in this model.

One other question...

3. Has anybody converted a bunkhouse unit from the two chairs and pull-out table to a sofa? There are not that many units out there, so condition will be more important than the configuration. We do prefer the sofa to the chairs.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #558
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow
Hi -

New member to the forum...

While I've always coveted an Airstream, I had not been including them in our search for a new trailer as we have been concentrating on bunkhouse models. And Airstream does not make a bunkhouse!

Then to my surprise I discovered that Airstream made a bunkhouse in '05 and '06. Wow - impressive layout. IMHO - a better layout then available from any other manufacturer. And I've looked at a lot of trailers!

Now concentrating on looking for an Airstream bunk. A few questions prior to examining any in the flesh...

1. Where is the spare tire (on the LS model)?
2. Where are the batteries kept?

I've read through all the postings to this tread - some very useful information on what to look for in this model.

One other question...

3. Has anybody converted a bunkhouse unit from the two chairs and pull-out table to a sofa? There are not that many units out there, so condition will be more important than the configuration. We do prefer the sofa to the chairs.

I totally agree on the layout, no wasted space and really livable plan. Spare tire is under trailer on LS models, right behind tongue (on mount). Batteries are behind propane bottles in enclosure. Our bunkhouse has the rear queen and two chairs. I have explored using smaller chairs as we use the small foldup table for my wife and I and the dinette for the kidos. The kicker on going to a gaucho or sofa is the wheel well that extends into that wall. I know of a couple that have removed the flip table in favor of a desk or single chair.

I have had mine 6 years and it is my fav airstream for family travel.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #559
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey MaxTow,

Answers to your questions are as follows:

1.) The spare tire is located up front under the master bedroom. Not too hard to get the tire out as long as you always wiggle it towards the street side.

2.) The batteries are in a rectangular box between the propane tanks and the front wall of the trailer.

3.) I guess it could be done, but our bunkhouse came with a sofa which lays flat when you want to make it into a bed. I would suggest looking for a bunkhouse with a stock sofa. Take a look at Colonial Airstream's Sold Archive Page to see pictures of 30' bunkhouses with sofas.

We love our bunkhouse and will keep it after our boys no longer travel with my wife and I. With a little bit of work, we intend to convert the bunkbeds into a walk-in closet, and then back again depending upon whether we are traveling with guests.

Good luck in your search,

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #560
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
SafariSS & RossFam05BH -

Thanks for the info. On with the search!
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote