Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Gulf Shores , Alabama
Question LPG Dual Tank Manual Changeover

I'm new to AirStreaming. New to RV trailering, period. Getting my new-to-me 1971 pretty decent mostly unrestored 29 foot Ambassador ready for the road. I'm discarding my probably original dual LPG tank automatic switchover valve and after reading about dual tank automatic switchover valve failures they seem like way more trouble than they're worth so I've decided I want a manual switchover setup. Just run one tank empty and then I'll manually switch to the full tank. That seems simple but I can't find a dual tank manual switchover regulator and valve. What am I missing? If this is a stupid question then feel free to say so, but then, tell me the answer, because stupid or not, I can't seem to figure it out.

TIA

Sam
SamWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
All that is necessary to force these auto switch over units to become manual is not to open the second tank valve.
Once you have determined the first tank is empty you manually switch the regulator to tank 2 and open the valve.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Gulf Shores , Alabama
I do see that that is so, but it seems to me I ought to be able to avoid paying for an automatic switching function I do not intend to use, plus, its something extra with the potential to fail, when a less complicated valve would be less prone to fail, because there would be fewer components capable of failing.
SamWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWind View Post
I do see that that is so, but it seems to me I ought to be able to avoid paying for an automatic switching function I do not intend to use, plus, its something extra with the potential to fail, when a less complicated valve would be less prone to fail, because there would be fewer components capable of failing.
You are correct. Isn't this new technology great?
My '74 Argosy still has the original regulator. A manual unit.
My 2015 Nash 22H has an auto switch over unit. Which I had to replace last year.
Could not locate a simple manual unit.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Tupelo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWind View Post
I'm new to AirStreaming. New to RV trailering, period. Getting my new-to-me 1971 pretty decent mostly unrestored 29 foot Ambassador ready for the road. I'm discarding my probably original dual LPG tank automatic switchover valve and after reading about dual tank automatic switchover valve failures they seem like way more trouble than they're worth so I've decided I want a manual switchover setup. Just run one tank empty and then I'll manually switch to the full tank. That seems simple but I can't find a dual tank manual switchover regulator and valve. What am I missing? If this is a stupid question then feel free to say so, but then, tell me the answer, because stupid or not, I can't seem to figure it out.

TIA

Sam
So what you are actually going to look for is a brass "T" to connect your two LP tank pigtails together, then the "T" will in turn connect to the input side of a single inlet regulator.
rvbsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Why are you changing out the propane pressure regulator; known malfunction or preventative remedy?

If malfunction, have you tested it with a manometer to determine it is operating out of specification and by how much? There is a specific test procedure (measure pressure while all loads are applied) to determine functionality/performance. If out-of-spec, the mechanism is quite simple and capable of being adjusted to the correct pressure setting by adjusting the diagram pressure spring, but if you are a novice it is best left to a knowledgable technician. If it is incapable of being adjusted to the proper pressure, then it is time to be replaced.

Or, is your intent to prevent a future issue because you believe age has degraded the regulator's longevity? If so, the automatic version is not a pricy item; easily purchased and self installed for less than the cost of a manometer:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0024ECBCA/

The internals -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Pressure Regulator Diagram.png
Views:	484
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	328272  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
IMO would stay w/auto change over. If 1 tank dry then all appliances out of gas before you manually change to full tank if not rite on top of it you could lose food in reefer plus takes time for gas to get to appliances, some times may have to bleed lines to get gas to them. In 58 yrs. only had one that needed replaced only because tank would change over about 1/2 used prob. solved w/new regulator. Also a hassle to watch if empty or not.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
we went back with the older FAIRVIEW propane regulator and switch...

Fairview Auto-Changeover Regulator
Model Number: GR-9984-A
345,000 BTU's capacity

they have not had any problems with theirs... and it will auto change over you can find them at the silver vintage trailer people... or else at the wrecking yard... testing it out and making sure the pressure is set right was easy to do from the range burner valve.

The indicator changes color to let you know when a tank has been depleted and needs to be refilled.

Flipping the supply lever to face the other tank will reset the indicator and allow you to remove the empty tank to take it to be refilled.

A pretty simple device, but if you've ever run out of propane and had to stop and change it, then you'll find this item very helpful.

Durable and easy to use

Double stage design maintains constant gas pressure under changing demand and conditions

This item is brand new and in stock cost ($35) and will directly fit where the other came out. These have not had any problems for years..

Solves all the problems.. with the cheep bid priced one that airstream put on orginally... besides if it goes turtle.. its outside... so your somewhat safe...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
One other thing... open the valve on the propane tank SLOWLY.... I had a friend who kept having to replace their regulator... came down to the fact he was flipping open the valve on the tank into a empty line... it was shocking the regulator diaphram... and causing it to have a small tear in it... leaking propane out the vent hole..at the bottom...

After telling him to open slowly... he has never had to replace another one... seems it is easier on the system and regulator diaphram...

If you open the valve too fast... it sometimes also will trip the internal tank shut off...

Something to guide by... otherwise you can still get the regulators on E bay new... for about 35 bux.. they are so cheap that you really don't want to try and repair them... throw away society... kinda thing.. but also a safety idea too... oh and I believe these are dual stage regulators too ... so they do a better job of holding the line pressure when demand devices vary on line... (heater, Oven, water heater, etc...)

Good luck.. but I would stick with the auto change over... makes life simpler... just check the little indicator daily to see if the tank is empty and it switched over to the other... no need to shut off the other tank valve.. just unhook and take the empty to get refilled... once back ... test for leaks.. and your good to go again...

the adventure contenues..
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote