Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Ludlow Falls , Ohio
Unhappy 2018 Sport 22' Furnace

Just wondering if anyone owning at AS Sport 22' could comment about the furnace in their unit. I camped recently on a night the temperature got down in the mid 40's with not much. I had the furnace running it it was putting out just warm air for the duct closest to the furnace. I had to use a portable electric heater to keep the unit comfortable through out the night. I had the electric heater set at 72 degrees and it cycled off and on through out the night with the furnace running constantly. I don't know if I have a problem or is this about all that can be expected? Thanks in advanced for your comments.
whbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Is there a chance you had the roof top vent slightly opened? I have the same trailer except it's a 2016 and the heater has always performed as expected. The first summer we had the trailer I had to pull off and re-seat the starter wire in the outside access but other than that we've had great performance with our unit. We've camped well into the mid 20's in Yellowstone without a problem.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by whbrown View Post
Just wondering if anyone owning at AS Sport 22' could comment about the furnace in their unit. I camped recently on a night the temperature got down in the mid 40's with not much. I had the furnace running it it was putting out just warm air for the duct closest to the furnace. I had to use a portable electric heater to keep the unit comfortable through out the night. I had the electric heater set at 72 degrees and it cycled off and on through out the night with the furnace running constantly. I don't know if I have a problem or is this about all that can be expected? Thanks in advanced for your comments.
If the furnace ran continuously, at 40F outside the trailer interior should be extremely hot. Are you sure it was actually ignited? Propane tank not empty, and valve open?

If it ran constantly, cycling on and off occasionally, then could be a thermostat or igniter problem.

There is a high temperature sensor inside the furnace to keep it from overheating. Could be the sensor is malfunctioning, cutting the furnace flame off at a lower temperature than normal.

In any case something is not right. Need to get it checked out.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Greeklady

2013 22' FB Sport
Hot Springs , AR
Sport 22FB furnace

We've been warm down to about 26F over night, while heading south from PA in our 2013 Sport 22FB still winterized in early January. Furnace kept us plenty warm (65F) running occasionally (15 minutes off) through the night and early morning. Our dealer rep in NJ said we could use internal plumbing down to 26F briefly because the sub-floor is heated, but we have not tried this. The fresh water tank on the Sport 22FB hangs down under the trailer, while the gray and black water tanks are higher, so I am more concerned about freezing in the fresh water tank. On the occasional night near 32F in FL, furnace all ways worked well.
Arkgirl62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Ludlow Falls , Ohio
2018 Sport 22' Furnace

Vents were closed, furnace was running and some heat coming out, just not enough. I am comparing this to campers I've had in the part. Past campers were reasonably loud, especially outside, and the heat was very warm. On my AS, the furnace is very quiet which is nice and heat is only slightly warm. From what I am hearing from other members on the forum, I must have a problem. I'll check out the regulator and see if something is off with it.
Thanks All
Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Regulator, any other gas appliances not working correctly?

Stove OK, regulator most likely OK.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we find the as 22FB furnace VERY noisy

my spouse cant sleep with it on

we bought a Lasko ULTRA Ceramic Heater Model CT30710 with Remote Control
it runs off AC. it is very quiet

we now use it when we have AC instead of the furnace
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Ludlow Falls , Ohio
Thank you waninae39. I was expecting the furnace to be a bit noisy but my unit you can't really notice it's on other than a bit of warm air coming from the duct. I suspect something is not right. I have not check the stove as to the flame but will. The water heater was only on once and the water seemed ok but not sure how long to get there.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Healdsburg , California
22FB furnace

Our 22FB furnace isn't loud enough to keep us awake. But the vent at the foot of the bed provides almost all the heat. The vent beneath the closet at the other end, near the bathroom door barely had any heat until I opened the closet floor and straightened the flexible heat duct the installers had twisted and flattened near the circuit breaker connections. That helped its air flow but only a bit. I need to inspect the rest of that duct to ensure there aren't more restricted bits. I expected all this would be done right and tested before delivery. Mostly, things work as expected. Happy that I replaced the OEM thermostat with the Honeywell TH1100DV1000 model.
lilboomer is offline   Reply With Quote