Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Dealing with Rust Under LP Tanks

Hi, I have a '16 FC. Removing the LP tanks, I noticed I had rust bubbles in the frame paint under both LP cylinders.

The cylinder bottoms were corroded, and the paint had bubbled in several areas on the frame. I treated it by scraping the paint, derusting with a brass brush, and prepping with emery paper. I reapplied some Airstream frame paint I'd gotten at Colonial Airstream. It matches perfectly.

Is there any way to prevent or reduce the rust that takes place?

I was either going to place the bottles on some kind of durable polymer stand-off, or obtain some material that I can place under the tanks so as to allow some give, as well as to promote drainage.

What do you more experienced guys use under your LP tanks?

Or is it just a periodic scrape and paint maintenance task?

Thanks!

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have always used (on all my trailers) sections of 3/8" rubber fuel line hose, slit lengthwise and positioned on the bottom stand ring, to prevent rust and wear. It works very well. I typically used 3 sections, about 6" long each, positioned dependent upon frame/tank holder construction.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Since new I lifted the tanks and sprayed CorrosionX on the steel plate under the tanks, and leave the excess there. Each time I take out a tank for refilling, I wipe up the area and spray it again. In our sixth year never any rust under or on the propane tanks.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
A tip that may be helpful re: Airstream touch up paint.

I bought a spray can of the "Pewter gray" (I think that was the name) years ago at Jackson Centre, and as with most AS stuff, it was pretty expensive. Also when I used it recently, I wasn't really impressed. Even though I gave the rattle can a good shaking, the paint seemed really thin and took a few coats to properly cover. As well, it seemed to take an inordinate time to dry.

Perhaps I had had it too long.

Anyway, recently I wanted to repaint all the hitch area and A frame at the same time I was repainting the Hensley hitch that I had removed in order to paint.

At a local hardware store here in Canada (Home Hardware) I found that they could custom mix rust paint for me. So I used my spray can to paint a piece of wood as a sample and took it to them to scan with their computer.

I only wanted a liter (quart) but it turned out that the 4L size was on sale, so I wound up with a gallon of the paint for almost the same price as I paid for the small spray can at JC !

The colour match seems perfect, and it appears to be holding up well. I decided to brush paint rather than spray to avoid all the masking and it looks fine.

I would guess that maybe places in the US such as ACE hardware probably have the ability to do the same thing if anyone is interested.

I divided the paint into four separate one liter cans and should now have a lifetime supply!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have always used (on all my trailers) sections of 3/8" rubber fuel line hose, slit lengthwise and positioned on the bottom stand ring, to prevent rust and wear. It works very well. I typically used 3 sections, about 6" long each, positioned dependent upon frame/tank holder construction.

Thanks! Great idea.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I removed the plate that holds the tanks, cleaned off rust and sprayed with a 3M undercoating product similar to LineX bed liner. Worked great.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Shillington , Pennsylvania
Rust under propane tanks and general rust treatment/ prevention

IMO nothing deals with and prevents rust better than POR 15. You can paint it right over rust (just brush off loose flakes) and when dry, it looks, feels, and performs like it was powder coated. If in an area that is exposed to sun light you must top coat with any other paint to protect from UV. POR15 makes numerous excellent paint products. I have used their 2 part (epoxy) product to refinish the tub/shower and bathroom sink in my 1968 Safari with excellent results. They also make a POR15 product that comes in a tube, the consistency of toothpaste. I used it on rust coming through the paint around the wheel wells of my 2002 Tahoe and it has arrested the expansion of the rust. You can find them on line at POR15.com. Check it out. Jim
jimstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Just wanted to add that Menards will custom mix Rustoleum oil based paint for about $12 a quart. There is a blue/gray color on the paint chip brochure that was very, very close to the tongue color so I just went with that.

It is sold as: Rust-Oleum® Stops Rust® Mid Base Door Paint

Once we get the trailer back from winter storage I'll be applying it over the POR-15 coating I had to do to the rusty flaky battery box.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Needing to refill my tanks I pulled them today. There was a bit of rust present. Hit the rust with a wire brush and a spray of black Rustoleum. It is out of site and generally out of mind being hidden under the tank cover so not concerned about the paint color.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
That rubber hose over the tank base edges sounds like a good idea.
Spray the hose insides with WD-40 or Silicone spray also.

Look after your equipment, it will look after you.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
After preparing and painting my bottle tray this past summer, I cut a piece of an old truck mudflap to fit in the bottom of the tray and also cut the appropriate matching holes into it. Works great, but I got to say I like Rich's fuel line fix too !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
After preparing and painting my bottle tray this past summer, I cut a piece of an old truck mudflap to fit in the bottom of the tray and also cut the appropriate matching holes into it. Works great, but I got to say I like Rich's fuel line fix too !

Great idea.

Come to think, WalMart has a cheap rubber entry mat too. I might look at that this week.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
I was getting ready to share my solution as a post and found this thread to append to instead. My tanks had rusted the plate that holds them and I wanted to prevent that from happening again after I POR15 the plate (black is fine, as no one will see it). Despite the rather significant savings in tongue weight, I refuse to dish out $240 each for aluminum tanks as I have many more projects toward which that cash could be better allocated .

I wire brushed the rust off the bottom rim of each tank and then primed and painted them.

HD has some plastic trim at (UPC: 70673 86356) in 8' pieces and the gap fits perfectly over the rim. Make sure and have the wider side go on the inside of the rim or it won't bend in the arc needed to fit it.

When priming and painting, I painted over a few patches on the outside where it appeared the tanks had been rubbing together during transit. I plan to go to a truck tire store in town and see if they have any used inner tubes and take a few slices of it to slide over each tank so they don't rub their paint off any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3361.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	326882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	326883  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3363.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	326884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3359.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	326885  

brainwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
Randy

2015 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for sharing Brainwash. Went to HD, picked up the trim, and installed on my tanks yesterday.
Randyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote