Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
MBB

I've often wondered what happens to me when I'm at the age where hauling my trailer and all that's involved with that becomes too great an issue and I'm forced to "retire" from something I love so much.

It's neat that your predecessor members were willing to pass the torch to see the unit continue its growth and maintain its relevance for the active members. Does your unit do anything to keep those older folks engaged yet in some way? If so, it would be interesting to know what and how well that works.

Thanks,

Barry
Yes, we do try to keep our long term members engaged. Phone calls and emails are made to them. We have a members news section in our newsletter where we publish information about their travels and health. We try to offer a subset of rallies / events that appeal to an adult crowd. But this be said I believe many of our older, long term members only keep current with the WBCCI as a way to feel connected to their past travels and their traveling friends. Many in our unit do not even own an Airstream any longer and may only attend a luncheon or two with old WBCCI friends while in Florida for the winter. So I guess what I'm trying to say is we are seeing less and less of the older members, and much more of the younger members. I think this is just the way it is and will be. We also will get older, will at some point need to give up trailering and will retire from the club. Hopefully we will have had the good sense to pass the leadership of our unit to younger members so it continues to live on.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I know what you mean MyBoy about the older members slowly migrating away. We see this within our car club as well, although people tend to keep their cars a lot later. An interesting reminder to me, and what made me think of the older members when I'd first read your post was a memorial a week ago for one of our car club members. His kids had a powerpoint tribute for him with the last picture being one of him sitting in his '66 baracuda a year or so ago. He's doing a big smokey burn out, a huge grin on his face, and it reminded everyone there that what many thought of as the old fellow they were remembering was right to the end young at heart.

It's really good to hear about the younger folks engaging, and kids and camping were made for each other. Keeping the dream alive. It makes camping fun, no matter how old you are, when kids are excited about camp fires, marshmallows, weiner roasts, falling stars, tadpoles, frogs and all the other wonderful things that are all part of being in the outdoors.

Camp on...

Barry
Old 02-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I get junk mail everyday Im wondering how long it will take someone to sell my name to WBCCI .We have no active unit here Im told, and we are right in the backyard of the National Office.I hear all the members are so old they dont rally anymore. So Why should I spend my money on WBCCI or its unit ,What are they gonna do for me?Oh Thanks MIKE for the intresting stats. Help's me make up my mind. Sorry to be negitive.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #84
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
I get junk mail everyday Im wondering how long it will take someone to sell my name to WBCCI .We have no active unit here Im told, and we are right in the backyard of the National Office.I hear all the members are so old they dont rally anymore. So Why should I spend my money on WBCCI or its unit ,What are they gonna do for me?Oh Thanks MIKE for the intresting stats. Help's me make up my mind. Sorry to be negitive.
Roger
No need to apologize for being negative.It seems the majority of WBCCI threads on this forum seem to end on a negative note.There is not a club out there that meets everyone's needs.There are 137 units in WBCCI and the units vary in activities somewhat depending on what stage the unit is in.Some are growing,most are not.
During the past couple of years on this forum there were members thinking about starting their own unit in Ohio because they did not find a fit for them.But it takes some work and dedication and frankly,a lot of folks just don't have the time.Two years ago a new unit was started in Texas and last year the 4CU was born.It should be easier to start a new unit drawing on the experience of the forum members of the two units that recently completed the process.Ohio has always seemed to have a high concentration of Airstream owners and I would not be surprised to see the talks of a new unit appear again one of these days.
I remain positive for the future of WBCCI.I believe change is coming.It won't be tomorrow but it is coming.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Mike
I guess I just have a bad attitude about joining clubs, because it always seems that a few do all the work and the most reap the benefits. I also think you are correct that the old members dont care and the young dont have time. Paying money in dues to groups that dont care about its members dont appeal to me. I dont want to wear one of those Blue things anyway. We can have just as much fun with out it .
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
I get junk mail everyday Im wondering how long it will take someone to sell my name to WBCCI .
It is my understanding that WBCCI is not in the habit of purchasing name lists for junk mailings.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
But will you?

Quote:
Mike
I guess I just have a bad attitude about joining clubs, because it always seems that a few do all the work and the most reap the benefits. I also think you are correct that the old members dont care and the young dont have time. Paying money in dues to groups that dont care about its members dont appeal to me. I dont want to wear one of those Blue things anyway. We can have just as much fun with out it .
It's no doubt that in most organizations 10% of the people do 90% of the work. Just the same in sales groups. 10% of the people sell 90% of the product.

As far as paying money to folks who don't care.......The people in individual units care. Believe me, they care a lot. As for the higher-ups..you don't have to have anything to do with them. Let them basque in their ignorance.

Also, there is no doubt, that you can have just as much fun with your Airstream while not belonging to a club. The question is: Will you have just as much fun?

My wife and I are, like you, not joiners. However, we got hooked up with a couple of really active WBCCI units which have taken us many places we would not have given a thought to go on our own. So far, it's been a really fun ride.

Belonging greatly increases your options.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes but... unit dues are 1-20 dollars and no one begrudges their unit their fee but the other 55 dollars goes to the International level of government that allocates and disburses monies by their own decision. Even with a real healthy account in reserve their cry is for increasing dues because of falling membership and it also was mentioned as to why brand identity should be abandoned and the club opened to all brands of rvers for increased revenue. Now the units take care of their members and are the backbone of the club, the IBT channels a lot of money to use at their discretion. There are perks, allowances, giveaways, rewards, and appreciation benefits and that does not even cover mismanagement. The latest? In their wisdom the IBT decided printing and listing campgrounds that offer members discounts cost the club too much money. Their solution? charge the campgrounds $25.00? each to have the privilege to discount their rates to our members. Result? Instead of 500 listings for discounted campgrounds in 2007 there are now 50 in 2008. IBT Assessment? the club just saved money on printing costs. Impact upon members? Members have just lost valuable benefits. You get the idea. Where do I find things like this and club news? Not in the Blue Beret but over at SaveWally.org

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Still worth every penny

I agree.......It would be nice if the unit got all of the dues money. That would be nice. I agree that the money that does not stay in the unit is, for the most part, a big waste.

Hey, in order to be part of our society we all pay taxes, most of which is not spent the way we would wish, but that's the way it is. Yes, I know we don't have much of a choice when it comes to taxes, and we do have a choice whether or not to join the WBCCI.

If I have to pay the WBCCI money in order to belong to our unit, so be it. I may not like it, but that is the price I am willing to pay.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #90
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
If I have to pay the WBCCI money in order to belong to our unit, so be it. I may not like it, but that is the price I am willing to pay.
I could not agree more. I just wish I didn't have to get the blue beret. I feel obligated to read it and find it a waste of trees.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I could not agree more. I just wish I didn't have to get the blue beret. I feel obligated to read it and find it a waste of trees.
But where would we learn about SkyMed? or that insurance company that is "tailored" to my needs?

No offense meant to the folks that put together the BB, but it needs a SERIOUS update to appeal to 47 year old youngsters like myself.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
But where would we learn about SkyMed? or that insurance company that is "tailored" to my needs?

No offense meant to the folks that put together the BB, but it needs a SERIOUS update to appeal to 47 year old youngsters like myself.
47 year old Youngster???????

Oh, yeah, right, sorry - that IS younger than me so ok, I take it back, ya young punk.

Ditto on the BB remarks .

Barry
Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
BB Update

Hey........

It needs a serious update to appeal to 67 year olds like myself!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Hey........

It needs a serious update to appeal to 67 year olds like myself!
Oh man, here I am caught in the middle (age wise at least).

I enjoy those Skymed advertisements. They are full of such angst and passion, they are a true love story filled with great risk and adventure in the skies that comes to fulfillment in some compelling stories of survival as told by the actual people involved. It's their own raw story before Hollywood got it. Does it get any better than this? You bet, but not in the BB.

Barry
Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
I agree.......It would be nice if the unit got all of the dues money. That would be nice. I agree that the money that does not stay in the unit is, for the most part, a big waste.

Hey, in order to be part of our society we all pay taxes, most of which is not spent the way we would wish, but that's the way it is. Yes, I know we don't have much of a choice when it comes to taxes, and we do have a choice whether or not to join the WBCCI.

Ditto, I could not have expressed this better. My husband and I are having so much fun with the NEU that I would pay double the yearly WBCCI dues to belong to our unit. Oh, please don't tell this to the folks in headquarters....

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
And yet the situation of dwindling units and loss of membership is neither solved nor addressed in units that are happy and healthy within themselves, outside of those units there are disturbing problems. I bet Bostonians have always loved tea too...but... It is a unit's responsibility to look at their region and International representatives and scrutinize their actions and hold them accountable to the will of the membership. The IBT are not our monarchs they are our delgates to exercise our direction. Too long the tables have been turned upon us to the extent most do not even care but accept it as a necessary evil beyond control. I just don't understand taking no notice and going about your own business.

And excuse me Michelle, I know I followed after your post, but I do not mean you, I am speaking of a vast number of WBCCI members as a whole.

photography
Old 02-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #97
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Sorry I used a few sort of bad words..

Please excuse me, but I am tired of this thread...
Every time there is a thread about the WBCCI it goes in this direction, It starts with a little constructive talk, turns to blasting the the WBCCI, and continues to be a thread about how evil the IBT is and how old fashion the management of the club is and how evil the president is, and on and on. EVERY thread about the WBCCI goes this way, and personally I think that sucks. I guess I am one of the club members with his head stuck in the sand, for my unit is awesome. My unit gets "IT" and we have a great time. I just wish the negativity could be turned into something positive. I wish that instead of folks bitching, they would take action. You will only get out of it, what you put into it. I have lived that mantra my whole life.... Stop being a whiner and do something about it.

Another thing that I think sucks is how many non club members can voice so much crap about something they are not part of. I feel if you are not a part of it, well you really should save your opinion for something you are a part of.

Now please, send me those hate PM's, tell me what a jackass I am. This is my opinion and I am proud of it.... I am not sitting around being a big baby, I am taking action and getting active. Un like many, I put my money where my mouth is.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #98
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
True but

62overlander,I agree with the content of your post and mentioned on the other forum that it seems that all WBCCI threads end up taking on a negative tone.This was not my intention in starting this thread.Actually it was the total opposite.
Not all current,past or potential members are lucky enough to be involved with a strong and forward thinking unit as the ones we are in.So personally I take the negative posts as confirmation that in a large part of the country WBCCI has some work to do ASAP before more units are lost.
A lot of people either can't or don't want to put the time and effort in to creating,revamping or maintaining a strong unit.Some want to have it already in place and that is understandable to me.I can only hope that more people will actually get involved for a stronger club in the future.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #99
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Trying to get members to be concerned with the governance of their own club is not negative. I am not onboard with the concept of the ethics clause because it inspires members to be quiet and accepting and to believe those clammouring for change and trying to get members motivated and behind the members who are going to the board to make a difference and still being shut out are making trouble. That is not true.

Don't assume people who think major change is necessary before 2020 do nothing but talk. That certainly would not be the facts. For every time someone says it's unfortunate I have to pay my dues to International to belong to my great unit or the VAC is just another feather in the IBT beret.

Naysayers helped spread awareness about the new name of your club and brand identity, they go to the IBT they work behind the scenes they write letters and proposals,feed from official proceedings, work with the liason committee, and they actually work at it and it isn't fun and it takes money and it takes time. It is too bad that effort is not appreciated. However if good can come of it, there will still be those that work diligently on change without awards and perks and in the face of insult from both ends.

Negative posts my foot! (is that a bad word?) The negitivity comes from the kind of attitudes that point their finger at another and tell them they are nothing but complainers, bloggers malcontents, while three are pointed back at themselves.

photography
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #100
Rivet Master

It takes work and nothing but work.

62Overlander, you said the very thing I've said many of times of this forum. If you don't like it, change it. If you are to lazy or unwilling to change it, enough already.

If you have been on the forums more than six months, you know all the problems with the WBCCI. Are they going to change over night? "NO". Are there people out there trying to make the changes needed, "Yes". Does the bashing encourage us to keep trying "No". Trust me on this one folks, those of us trying to make the WBCCI a club of fun, camping and having a good time, know all the problems with the many(not all) members of the IBT. Are there good folks of the IBT trying to make changes, YOU BET! My Region 2 Prez and the Region 1 Prez are trying.

I'm sorry the WBCCI is not like Wal-Mart or Target were you can go and get everything you need in a one stop shopping. I would say the WBCCI maybe more like the USA. You had founding fathers that stepped up and did the work needed to get the club going and make it great! With the WBCCI, much like the USA we are having a War (north/south)(young/old) that is wanting to make changes that in the end hopefully will make us better and stronger than ever before. Are there people fighting those changes? You bet!

No one said good things come easy. Many things in life takes hard work. It's easy to sit back and type away about all the bad things with the WBCCI. It's a bunch more work to host rallies, plan caravans, make fun times for all. The key words there is "FOR ALL" young, old, laid back, tight *ss, etc....

Oh well, just wanted to chime in.

I need to get back to work on the "East Coast VAC Rally" got lot's to do. It's a bunch of work, but it will be worth it!