Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #41
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It's all about friend getting out together and having a good time. I think we have signed up most of our members at rallies. No pressure, just come on out and join us for a weekend and see how you like it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Mike

Thanks for compiling this that is great info.

We should fine out the best practices of the growing units and communitcate them to the rest.

Thanks Again.

Andrew
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, some may find this interesting when discussing this topic. The VAC currently has 760+ members and of that we have currently 96 members at last count which means about 12%. However, MALs account for about 20% of the new members joining the club, at least since I have taken over as the membership chair.
So I go out of my way to work with the people coming in and tell them about the units in their area and the dues, etc... And in the event a new members is not happy with the unit near them I encourage them to join WDCU for a dollar because it is cheaper and better than being a MAL.
I agree in part with what 2air says but I do believe that it is not the MALs that make up the future of the club but rather the units who adapt, modernize and maintain a progressive vision who are the future of the club. 4CU and WDCU is a prime example of the way it should be done in my opinion. And in case anybody is wondering - the unit with the most members in the VAC is the WDCU with 73...and growing.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
As for the 4CU # as a note I joined pre end of November, actually this is the second year my name never got into the directory for whatever reason. It doesn't really matter to me in that regard, but it does skew the numbers a tad. But close enough - 19 members in such a short time seems pretty good to me.

Barry
SAME FOR US,FULL CHARTER MEMBER OF 4CU.BUT HAVE NEVER MADE THE WBCCI DIRECTORY.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I don't mind at all not making the directory so don't want to leave the wrong impression with anyone that I feel left out, but I don't want to short change the unit on membership numbers if they have any meaning to WBCCI. It's nice to be anonymous so when we show up with our numbers on and someone is quickly flipping through their directory and can't figure out who we are they actually have to come over to introduce themselves , which is what we want.

That said, both my wife and I are kinda shy people, so we don't mind not making the official record.

Barry
Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #46
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Just caught up with this thread and wanted to update the 4CU membership number.

38 unit members
32 affiliate members
15 new unit members this year

There were a number of members who didn't get in their applications in time to meet the directory deadline and we continue to get new members.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Just caught up with this thread and wanted to update the 4CU membership number.

38 unit members
32 affiliate members
15 new unit members this year

There were a number of members who didn't get in their applications in time to meet the directory deadline and we continue to get new members.

Brad
FF
Brad,

The growth in the unit is a reflection of the values, activities, and camaraderie the group offers. A lot of credit is due to the executive for being so proactive and creative with functions.

Personally I think it's just fine not being included in the Membership Directory. For me it doesn't serve any purpose so you could leave me out every year and I'd be just fine with that.

Thanks for all you do,

Barry
Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #48
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Mike, Thank you for putting the facts out there so folks can understand the state of the club. I am one of the new WDCU members. I would like to know, of the 22 new members of the WDCU, how many were recruited by Rob Baker? He is responsible for getting me to join, I wonder how many others he was able to enlist.

If there are any MAL's looking for a welcoming unit to have fun with, enjoy their Airstream life with, and get back to the basics of camping and having fun, well the WDCU has a place for you. I personally want to encourage any MAL's interested to come to any of the great rallies planned for this camping season. Our website, Airstream club vintage trailer WDCU WBCCI region 2 Unit 170 has all the details. The Cherry Blossom Rally is one of the highlights of the year, so if you want to attend, get on it now... See you all up the road.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #49
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Streamer23, thanks for doing this little exercise. By highlighting units that are growing maybe the other units that should grow will be able to adapt.

I am one of those new people. Two years ago I made the decision that I needed to be part of the solution to save Wally's club. Seemed like a lot of people were real passionate about how to do it, but had some dramatically different approaches. I decided the only way to impact the club was from the inside, so I joined. WDCU really appealled to me because they communicate really well, welcome everyone and seem like a group oriented towards change (dare I use that term in an election year). Additionally, on a personal level they seemed much more family oriented than most.

I don't know anything about the 4CU, but they seem to be doing a great job also. I understand that without joining a unit you don't even get a vote. Is that still correct?
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #50
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeysor
I don't know anything about the 4CU, but they seem to be doing a great job also. I understand that without joining a unit you don't even get a vote. Is that still correct?
Thank you!
Yes, voting is done through the units. MALs do not have a vote.

Richard

Old 02-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #51
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeysor
Streamer23, thanks for doing this little exercise. By highlighting units that are growing maybe the other units that should grow will be able to adapt.
WBCCI is forming a Long Range Planning Committee.One of the areas they will be looking at is to study successful units which have had membership increases in each of the last five years.

Here is a link which outlines the committee objectives.

WBCCI Forum -

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #52
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Thanks

I would like to thank everyone for the kind words,the karma and especially the karma comments.
This is a lot of work but it is a labor of love and I enjoy doing it.It really doesn't seem like work at all.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 02-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #53
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Mike, Nova Scotia is right up the road from Washington DC. Why don't you load that trailer with cheap Canadian booze and come down and join the WDCU for a great rally in April. You can have the pleasure of seeing me make a total fool of myself, and spend some quality time with your fellow WBCCI'ers. That way when you help the IBT and WBCCI with the membership woes, you can say, I spent time with the WDCU and their unit is so excellent because______.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #54
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Mike, Nova Scotia is right up the road from Washington DC. Why don't you load that trailer with cheap Canadian booze and come down and join the WDCU for a great rally in April. You can have the pleasure of seeing me make a total fool of myself, and spend some quality time with your fellow WBCCI'ers. That way when you help the IBT and WBCCI with the membership woes, you can say, I spent time with the WDCU and their unit is so excellent because______.
Cheap Canadian booze ?????Never heard of it.Looking forward to seeing the video on UTube

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 02-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #55

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Talking

We are avid Airstreamers, and very active campers. In the last year and a half, we have spent over 200 nights in our Lucy, and pulled her almost 30,000 miles all over the country.

We had been WBCCI Members at Large. It is unfortunate that the acronym for this class of membership is MAL. It almost makes it sound like these members are the "malcontent" wing of the club, and therefore prohibited from voting on any club issues, and forced pay the highest dues. I consider these policies stupid on the part of the club.

Last year we joined the newly forming 4CU in New Mexico in order to have a vote in the Moho issue, and to save a few bucks on our WBCCI dues

SuEllyn and I are not congregators. We prefer to do our own thing, and are not generally into group activities. We are not antisocial, but our "herding instinct" is limited. We have been to several Airstream rallies and have enjoyed them, but would not want to make rallies a stready camping diet. Caravans are not our thing, either. I would as soon have a root canal as go on a caravan.

Maybe if WBCCI treated its Members at Large with the respect and consideration that they deserve, the club would not be declining in membership.

We plan to remain WBCCI members because it is the Airstream club and we want to be a members of it.

There are more Airstreams and Airstreamers out there than ever, and WBCCI membership continues to decline. Maybe there is a message there.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Mike, you should think hard about that cheap Canadian booze. If you find it, let us on the west coast know where and what you found, eh?

I just spent a bit of time on the WBCCI Forums and made a few posts. I noticed that there hasn't been much activity "over there". I added a few and will troll through there from time to time.

I agree with Moosetags to a large degree. I joined WBCCI when 4CU was forming because I was interested in WBCCI but didn't want to waste my bucks as a MAL. This way I'm a voting member (and I'm still a LAM - Large Airstream Member so that didn't help me lose weight) and happen to be a part of a group of fun folks.

There is a lot to accomplish within WBCCI and it takes membership to do that. Your info helps put things into perspective Mike. I'm unsure how I can step to the plate and participate at this time but I'll get it figured out. Like Moosetags my wife and I are typically not joiners, not because we don't like fun but more because we just enjoy each others company immensely, even after 39 years of marriage and yes, even with the DW taking on the driving chores . I'm positive it's my sage advice and coaching that has her now towing like a pro .

I know from other threads/posts I've read that there are a lot more Units who are very active and progressive than just the WDCU and 4CU groups. This forum itself has fostered an outstanding community of Airstreamers and for many this is enough involvement. The local forums gatherings are really gaining in numbers which is a credit to those who are taking on the responsibility to host them. Perhaps that is the future of this whole thing?

Anyway, it gets one thinking about what we can actually do to get this whole WBCCI thing turned around. It's not rocket science, but it will take commitment, a clear vision that is communicated and updated regularly, and executive who "walk the talk". I can see from the folks moving up the ladder that this is coming and it's like Christmas - the gifts are under the tree and I can see them, I just can't open them till the big day and it's driving me crazy with anticipation.

Take care,
Barry
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #57
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Total unit count

I have been asked by another member how many units showed a decline in membership.

There are 137 units in WBCCI

The 4cu is new so it shows no increase or decrease because this is the first year of operation.Looks like next year it will be showing an increase.

So,there are 136 units to report on,

49 units showed an increase
75 units showed a decrease
12 units remained unchanged

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 02-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #58
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Just curious, how did the MAL (000) numbers change?

Richard

Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #59
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
See post #21 of this thread

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #60
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
also add another 10-30 to this count...

since it does not include new PALS (people/participants/party'rs at large) joining in nov/dec...

or those of US that intentionally re-up late to avoid the directory.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote