Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Santa Barbara , CA
Solar I op questions

Does anyone here have enough understanding and repair info to help me diagnose my 2015 interstate solar system?
I have posted two long posts, neither showed up... maybe too long or intricate?
I have details of the problem and what I have done so far,,
I would be happy to PM or phone to discuss. Thanks!
calmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Can't help much if we don't know what problem you are trying to solve. You got the post above to show so add some details. The PM system does not allow attachments so better to discuss here and get a wider variety of experience.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Santa Barbara , CA
Thanks Boxter (Mike).
I posted two fairly long detailed posts, neither of which showed up, and none had attachments.
I had open voltage and amperage at the solar panels, but the display inside showed battery voltage (constantly dropping) as was the charge percentage. .1 amps showing , but the solar "time" was going up.
Today I pulled the bottom lounge cushion so I could get at the controller and do some checking in there.
I found I was getting voltage and amps to the yellow wire from the panels to the controller, but not coming out to the battery. First thought was a bad controller, but then I realized the voltage showed at a -20 volts. WHAT?
I pulled the bath fan to get eyes on the wiring, up there the wires were red and black coming out of the "firewall" plug (Not the yellow and green they should be).
Finally figured out whoever wired that in, wired it backwards (Red was Negative , Black was Positive).
Swapped them at the panels, all is well and working now. Go figure!!
calmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmal View Post
. . . I pulled the bath fan to get eyes on the wiring, up there the wires were red and black coming out of the "firewall" plug (Not the yellow and green they should be).
Finally figured out whoever wired that in, wired it backwards (Red was Negative , Black was Positive).
Swapped them at the panels, all is well and working now. Go figure!!
Great - glad you solved the problem. I assume you bought your 2015 as a used unit. Might have been previous owner who messed up the wiring.

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
2016 GT Ext. trying to figure out the “stock” solar plug going into the roof. Which side is positive and which is negative? Of the two probes in the roof socket, one is male and the other female. Fyi, I pulled the stock solar panel last year so I do not have the old connection/panel to reference. Not sure how easy it would be to pull the interior roof in the cabinet by the sliding door to look at it inside.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote