Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Milford , Michigan
Solar Install AM Solar

First post to the Air Forum.

This last three days I had the pleasure along with a little hard work and hot temps of installing the AM Solar system below plus two additional panels for a total of 300 watts.

I am not an Ohms, Watts, Amps type of guy. Thats why I had my trusty father along for the."Hey dad want to help me install a solar panel or so on my Airstream?" Well he did build and wire a home or two so he gets it....

I won't bore you with the controller specs or panels and such. Check the link below for details:
SRPS-100/25/8/6/Pro | Pre-Configured Systems

Location of panels. I don't really like the TV antenna contraption so off that went and on went a panel in place along with one on the other side. I wanted to avoid the AC area at all costs. Having shadows in camping areas is bad enough, so putting more forward on the Airstream was my choice.

The best thing first off was quality of packaging marking and identification of items along with instructions were great. Both instructions from AM Solar and the ones from the individual components.

Second and most important was tech support. If you remember above I am not an electrician. Being able to call and talk us through a couple things that don't make sense in our crazy heads but after a nice explanation the light bulb finally clicked.... Dale even gave me his cell phone number over the 4th of July time period. That is class act customer service. I spent a year contemplating asking questions, reading forums. They are with out a doubt an example to all companies not just solar on how to do good business.

So give me a day or so and I will post up some pics.

Any suggestions on upgrading my batteries from my Interstate 24's would be appreciated. Can I fit 27's from Lifetime in the same box?
outdoors717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Glad you had success with your solar installation.

BTW, that's 'Lifeline', not Lifetime and yes, you can install a pair of GPL-27T Lifeline AGM batteries in your existing battery box by removing the bottom plastic tray. It is a tight fit, but they will fit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Hey, Outdoors! Welcome to the forums! My wife and I live in Grand Rabbits, Michigan... We have a solar setup on our Flying Cloud, and it's wonderful. Good luck, and look forward to connecting.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
You will love this system.

I've got an AM Solar system on the roof of my '99 23 foot Safari (Lewster did the install - I'm too lazy and incompetent ... I think it was two years ago). Mine is two panels and three 100 amp-hour Lifelines. It has always worked perfectly. I'm just back from a 10,000 mile plus trip to Alaska, and couldn't be happier. "Just in case," I took along a 2400 watt Yamaha generator, but I never started it. Even in often gloomy, rainy weather, my batteries were always fully charged by mid-morning. ('course up there andover the solstice, it never really got dark, so the panels would be charging away at 3 am!)

You will really like this.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote