Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
At age 72 I've been biking for 14 years and love it. Within the last year cardio issues have made it much harder to do my normal 20-25 mile rides. I resisted an e-bike, feeling I was giving in, until I found an Orbea that only gives assistance if the rider is pedaling, and stops assisting at 20mph. This bike has given me the ability to ride 25-30 miles and get a great workout (avg 145-155 heartrate) without the uphill peaks in BPM causing me to tire and have shorter rides. It syncs with my heart rate monitor and turns on assist automatically at a heart rate I choose. So I set it at 155 and ride with it off, but then on a long hill it kicks in and helps me ride farther. Perfect. A side benefit is that until I point out that it's an ebike most riders can't tell it from my Specialized Roubaix.
I'm not a strong rider, but I am proud to be tied with Lance Armstrong in the number of Tour de France wins we both have!!! (sorry, but I love that joke).
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bennington , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer10 View Post
I think Greg LeMond said about ebikes “call them what they are mopeds”[emoji23]
An eMTB is a game changer for bike riders my age. I can make it up the hill again, though make now mistake, you have to pedal and these things are not for beginners.

Have you tested one recently? I guess not. Do so and then write an opinion.
Attached Images

Sailfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Louisville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfast View Post
An eMTB is a game changer for bike riders my age. I can make it up the hill again, though make now mistake, you have to pedal and these things are not for beginners.

Have you tested one recently? I guess not. Do so and then write an opinion.

Easy bro it was LeMonds words not mine. I crafted it as a joke hence the laughing emoji [emoji23] not an opinion. Sorry I ruffled your feathers. I have ridden many ebikes and think they are pretty cool. I’m actually a hobby bike frame builder and have owned many bikes from high wheels to this recumbent that I plan to electrify for a commuter.
So in the words of Bill Murray “lighten up Frances”[emoji23]<see another joke with the venerable laughing emoji
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	366610Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	366611
tmeyer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bennington , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer10 View Post
Easy bro it was LeMonds words not mine. I crafted it as a joke hence the laughing emoji [emoji23] not an opinion. Sorry I ruffled your feathers. I have ridden many ebikes and think they are pretty cool. I’m actually a hobby bike frame builder and have owned many bikes from high wheels to this recumbent that I plan to electrify for a commuter.
So in the words of Bill Murray “lighten up Frances”[emoji23]<see another joke with the venerable laughing emoji
Attachment 366610Attachment 366611
Quoting someone without comment would indicate to me your agreement. You clarified yourself now and no, my feathers do not get ruffled that easy. Though apology accepted, all good.
Sailfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
There are apparently bike design awards...

2017 London Design Awards

and accolades from Bicycling Magazine:

The New Brompton Electric Is the Most Functional Folding E-Bike We’ve Seen
I know what my battery weighs and I wouldn't feel comfortable with it hang'n high in front of me.
Small wheels, high seat & bars...enough stuff in the air.🤓
Plus FWD, no thanks.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
We go low & slow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_29c1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	645.1 KB
ID:	366680  
Old 04-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Every time I see a Brompton I think about the great BBC satirical comedy series W1A, where the characters rode Bromptons to work and introduced them into multiple episodes.

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
According to my info from Specialized, Lithium batteries after around 200 charges will drop their charging capabilities to around 75% of their original charging capacity which still may be enough for most bike outings but there will come a time when they may not meet the distance rider's needs. This may or may not be before the bike's life expectancy has passed. We will see I guess. Yes our Specialized dealer said the batteries are $850 so don't drop them or have them stolen.
I would be suspect of their BMS or supplier. That's pretty low cycles to see that kind of degradation. It happens though. Check battery longevity of a Nissan Leaf v. a Chevy Volt, for example.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #28
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I know what my battery weighs and I wouldn't feel comfortable with it hang'n high in front of me.
Small wheels, high seat & bars...enough stuff in the air.🤓
Plus FWD, no thanks.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
We go low & slow.
You've never ridden a Brompton, have you?

The battery is carried where the luggage rack usually goes. Bromptons handle the weight best on the front wheel. That's how most Brompton owners carry their various cargo/luggage loads is on the front. And it's not "hangin' high."
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote