Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #1

Arrow dinghy towing

Has any one successfully dinghy towed with a 345MH. If so what type of vehicle works best? is one hitch better than another? I've heard that the length of the over hang causes tracking problems. do you have use a dolly or can you tow all 4 down
xqbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don't have a MoHo, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

Saturn seems to be the "toad" of choice. The newer ones require removing two fuses from the underhood fuse box, so you don't damage the transaxle. You can then tow them 4 down. The overhang doesn't seem too bad for towing, but you WILL chew up front tires on your toad, because the back of the MoHo is going one way, while turning the other. I have customers that winter here with their rigs, and each one comes in for front tires, sometimes yearly, sometimes every other year, depending on how much they travel, and how much they drive in the city (turning).
Terry
Old 02-18-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Many of us are towing with AS Mohos. The rated weight for towing is quite low, about 2000 pounds, but with a little caution you can easily tow a small car or truck. The former owner of mine towed a Grand Cherokee, which was way too heavy. Luckily no damage or long term problems from that foolishness.
I tow a Saturn as many moho owners do because they are so easy to set up. They flat tow, with no mod., the key has a position where you can unlock the steering wheel and leave all electrical stuff off.
I use a "stowmaster" tow set up, the receiver type car attachments are almost invisible when not in use. The bar folds across on the front if you want to leave it mounted when using the car while camping. I lock mine on so it does not walk away when i orak in some bigger cities.
Many use a brake buddy or similiar device to apply the brake in the toad car when you brake in your Moho, this takes the load off the brakes. I use lights that mount on my trunk opening, and I ran a newer type barrel connector to the AS. Except for initial take off, you don't hardly know the car is back there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I've been pulling a Jeep Wrangler behind my '86 345. It definitely knows it is there since it affects both acceleration - that is speed accumulation at a leisurely rate - and braking. I use the brake buddy and would not be without it - I can really feel it kick in. I'm using the blue Ox with the adjustable arms. Real easy to hook up. I will say that towing the heep back there slows the 345 down on the hills.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I tow a Saturn as many moho owners do because they are so easy to set up. They flat tow, with no mod., the key has a position where you can unlock the steering wheel and leave all electrical stuff off.
The newer Saturns no longer have that "unlocked and off" position. There are two fuses that must be removed prior to towing these Saturns, one of those turns off the accessories.
Terry
Old 02-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I guess Saturns have been changing quite a bit, as many are not made at the Saturn plant either. The older ones 90's - up to late 90s were very reliable as well. Saw one recently a 93 with 533,000 miles on it, no engine rebuild and original timing chain. Had maintenance only done to it. I think they were trying extra hard in those years to put their brand out there in a good way. Don't really know if that's true anymore,more or less just another GM line now...not to say that's all bad, but not as unique as they once were.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Saturn Toad

You can wire a switch into the fuse panel to turn off the 2 fuses if you want to simplify the setup process for towing. We've been using that for the past 4 years with no problems. I will say that our 84 310 turbo diesel slows down dramatically on hills when towing compared to not towing our 02 Saturn SL2 (which weighs more than the specified 2000 lbs). We hjave an M&G air-over-hydraulic brake system installed on the Saturn and it has saved our sanity and health several times. You do need some type of auxiliary braking if you tow anything over 2000 lbs. One of the reasons AS put that limit on the hitch is the brakes on the MoHo, which are rated too stop only the GVWR weight.
Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote