Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Thanks for the clarification. This looks like a very good compromise filter to a full out bypass system in addition to the normal engine oil filter.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Another Amsoil bypass user here. I used one on my '92 Z71 4x4 and have one on my '01 2500hd. The Amsoil full flow filter was much bigger than the OEM filter so more filter area for the oil to go through. The bypass filter was huge and you can get 3 sizes for the remote mount. I would change oil one time per year so times it to change during the summer. I would go 6 k, change the full flow filter, go another 6 k and change both filters. Amsoil says you can go 25,000 miles using the 12,500 and 12,500 schedule like above. I actually did that on my Z71 and the engine was perfect until the truck was rolled by one of my sons.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

yes , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I am not sure why more manufacturers don't just make spin on bypass filters to replace the factory filter. I use a Fleetguard LF9027 bypass filter on my 7.3, just spin it on. No kit or system to install or worry about a hose leaking.
Keep in mind that oil filters do not work 100% of the time, they have a spring so that if there is too much pressure on the supply side the spring compresses and lets the oil bypass the filter element (this is by-pass in a bad way). This is a safety feature so if the filter is clogged the oil still moves.
The oil needs to move through the filter fast, so the external bypass filter being talked about works because oil runs through a finer filter more slowly and filters out the oil better.

I am not against these, but I had an engine with a tiny filter and decided on a "remote oil filter" attachment. Mainly because it was so hard to get to the filter. By using this I could use one of the largest automotive oil filters on the shelf instead of the tiny one. The theory being that a bigger filter will filter more, and the oil will move slower through a big filter than a small one (think of putting your thumb on the end of the garden hose and making the water move faster because the orifice is smaller).

The long hose maybe dropped the oil pressure a small amount (not good), but the hose also maybe let the oil cool off outside the engine too, so that is a good thing.

Magnets: YES.

The quality of the filter you choose makes a big difference too.
silverhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Thanks for the clarification. This looks like a very good compromise filter to a full out bypass system in addition to the normal engine oil filter.
I agree and did not know this 'solution' existed. I will check with Fleetgard to see if they have a fitment for my two diesels.
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The lumber finer by pass systems went away 30 yrs ago..cat engines don’t recommend them..mt last e model cat has 1.4 million miles and the head never been off..500 hp and 100,000 gross...just change oil..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
A Ford 6.7 oil and filter change within 10 minutes will be black. The soot from direct injection with modern EGR systems is a constant battle. Soot can polish cylinder liners however it really can’t wear parts unless oil is in a saturated depleted additive state

There is not a filter made I know of that can trap soot and return new looking oil. If there was it would plug fast. Amsoil bypass filters polish oil from metal particles and chunks of carbon.

Short piston skirts redesigned compression rings closer to the top of the piston for emissions and power allow for this. A gas car guy like me hates to see this , is what it is. Oil samples are good for the facts! My truck I change at 5000-7500 and the oil is black within 10 minutes. You diesel guys get it us old gas guys are not so much liking it.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lady Lake , Florida
We had an Amsoil bypass system and Amsoil diesel synthetic oil in a 300 hp Cummins, on a 1996 Newmar Londonaire. The bypass was installed at 25,000 miles. When sold it had just over 130,000 miles. After installing the bypass I took an oil sample every 5,000 miles. I changed the filter at Cummins recommended intervals and added oil when the filter was changed. I changed the Amsoil bypass filter when dictated by oil sample results. After installing the bypass system, I did not change oil. When sold, I gave the new owner the oil sample test results, and explained the bypass system.

Military and commercial aircraft have been on oil sample condition oil change protocols for decades. I believe motor vehicles can do the same.
M and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #28
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolls View Post
I agree and did not know this 'solution' existed. I will check with Fleetgard to see if they have a fitment for my two diesels.
I do not think there are many made for light trucks, Fleetguard makes filters for Cat and for International and it just so happens that my engine was made by IH. (Navistar)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:40 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I do not think there are many made for light trucks, Fleetguard makes filters for Cat and for International and it just so happens that my engine was made by IH. (Navistar)
Cummins, which owns Fleetgard, does make this filter for some of the Dodge Cummins motors, but my research indicates not for Ford or GM. Nothing for my Collie which has a filter from 40 years ago. This Venturi Combo bypass filter is standard on the Coach's Cummins L9. I didn't even realize it until this thread's comments, so THX!
Looking for 23'-25' pre-owned
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote