Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Bend , Oregon
Airstream Connect "Prewire"

I just set-up my new
Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 router to my new 2021 Airstream GT / TB. The router is working great and my verizon SIM is connected and all is well. UNTIL I turn off the ignition on the van. The router will not turn on when plugged into shore power, with the inverter on or off, or if I run the generator. It only works when the van engine is running! I am using the power adapter that came wrapped in the cord bundle with the 5 color coded antenna wires.
This is so disappointing. Has anyone had this problem? Please tell me I am missing something. Thanks for your help.
Heatherbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Frustrating one. Seems like it may be wired to the wrong 12v feed - which I would guess is a reasonably quick fix for the service department based on how quickly they were able to swap out a breaker for me last week.

Next to the fuse and breaker panel there is a keyed on/off switch to control the router’s power. Does that have any affect on the router power when the ignition is on or off?
gizmo-mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbend View Post
I just set-up my new
Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 router to my new 2021 Airstream GT / TB. The router is working great and my verizon SIM is connected and all is well. UNTIL I turn off the ignition on the van. The router will not turn on when plugged into shore power, with the inverter on or off, or if I run the generator. It only works when the van engine is running! I am using the power adapter that came wrapped in the cord bundle with the 5 color coded antenna wires.
This is so disappointing. Has anyone had this problem? Please tell me I am missing something. Thanks for your help.
Hi Heatherbend,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 02-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
I just set-up my new
Did you ever get this resolved? If not, the reason you are not getting power through that power adapter with the engine off is because it's controlled by the keyed switch under the driver side rear ottoman. You either need to use the key for that switch, or bypass it like I did, with a separate inline switch so it's not always powered when you're not using it.
WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Trying to install a pepwave router in my 2021 GT and not understanding prewired power. Is there supposed to be a plug that just plugs into the unit? On mine BOTH ends of the power wire that’s there (one end green and white, the other end black) go up into the ceiling. Is something caught up there or am I supposed to undo where the green and white wires are connected to the black wire and taped together? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	389819
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:05 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
At the end of the black and white wire there should be a plug that fits into the pepwave. The green and white wires will have a female connector on them at the end.
Coffee Break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
From your picture, it looks like the plug is still caught on something in the cutout. Should be able to pull it through from the black/white wire. Here's another post with a picture of mine:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2461347
Old 03-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendBob View Post
From your picture, it looks like the plug is still caught on something in the cutout. Should be able to pull it through from the black/white wire. Here's another post with a picture of mine:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2461347

Thanks. Yes, that’s what I was afraid of. I have spent easily an hour trying to pull it out but the end with the plug is completely stuck up in the ceiling above the cabinet. Unbelievable. I think my only solution short of completely pulling apart the upper cabinet is to just re-wire another plug to the green/white wire.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #9
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Airstream Connect "Prewire"

I assume I could just cut the wall plug off the power supply that came with the router and simply connect the wire to the green and white wire here? We leave tomorrow for our first trip and I want to use the router and don’t have the time or inclination to mess around taking it to the dealer today to deal with this. I can’t believe they jammed the plug up there while building the AI. Totally careless. Someone must have noticed when they were wrapping the wires up in the cabinet but just left it. So much for plug and play...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	389854
Old 03-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
I assume I could just cut the wall plug off the power supply that came with the router and simply connect the wire to the green and white wire here?
Attachment 389854
Yes, you could. That's exactly where I cut it to splice in an inline power switch.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Heatherbend,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*

Thank you for chiming in here.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
San Francisco , California
thanks for your helpful comments on this topic. on the 2021 Interstates, when you turn on the WIFI keyed switch in the rear to power the 12V plug that comes pre-wired for a PEPWAVE cellular router....does that drain the CHASSIS battery if you leave it on even while plugged in to shore power? I've been testing it at home, plugged into 30amp shore power with the wifi switch on and started to get an engine battery warning after 2 days of leaving the WIFI keyed switch on. tx so much
BeachBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:15 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBrad View Post
thanks for your helpful comments on this topic. on the 2021 Interstates, when you turn on the WIFI keyed switch in the rear to power the 12V plug that comes pre-wired for a PEPWAVE cellular router....does that drain the CHASSIS battery if you leave it on even while plugged in to shore power? I've been testing it at home, plugged into 30amp shore power with the wifi switch on and started to get an engine battery warning after 2 days of leaving the WIFI keyed switch on. tx so much
I think there's multiple pieces to your question.

1. Does the "wifi" switch run off the chassis battery? There definitely is some type of feed from the chassis electrical to the switch so it is powered when the engine is running. However, I'm not sure if power from the engine/chassis electrical simply operates a relay that then supplies power from the house batteries, or if the wire is fully powered from the engine/chassis electrical. The wiring diagram is not very clear on this.

2. Would the switch be pulling more power than the shorepower connected charger (i.e., the BatteryMinder 128CEC1) can supply? You didn’t mention if you actually have a router connected to the switch. But if only the switch, then I doubt it.

What I would look for instead is to confirm that your shorepowered BatteryMinder is actually charging your chassis battery. I mentioned in another post that mine does not always charge my chassis battery when connected to shorepower. If I connect to shorepower after a few days of sitting and the chassis battery is not already fully charged (e.g., below 12v), the BatteryMinder sees it as having a bad cell and won’t charge it. I have to remedy this by running the engine to bring the power up sufficiently for the BatteryMinder to start charging. Here's how you can check yours (best to check it if you already have a lower than full chassis battery as you mentioned above).

1. Rotate the drivers seat 180 so it faces backward.
2. Slide the seat towards the back of the rig
3. Now look under the seat from the front for the BatteryMinder status. Keep in mind there are 2 BatteryMinders there. The small one towards the front left drivers side is for the solar. You want the larger BatteryMinder towards the back.

Here's a picture of mine. Note, even with the seat back, it will still be hard to see all the buttons and display lights clearly, so you may want pull out your BatteryMinder manual for reference.

4. See if you see a red flashing light on the top right side. If your Chassis battery voltage indicator on your overhead master display shows a low battery and your BatteryMinder is flashing red, then it's not charging. (the picture above is after I reset mine so it's still showing a low battery, but it is now charging).
5. If you don't see a red light, everything is green, then look on the left side of the BatteryMinder display and make sure the charge rate it is set to 8amps. This was a suggestion from Airstream as some were incorrectly set to 2 or 4 amp charge rates at the factory.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 Interstate 24GL
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendBob View Post
I think there's multiple pieces to your question.

1. Does the "wifi" switch run off the chassis battery? There definitely is some type of feed from the chassis electrical to the switch so it is powered when the engine is running. However, I'm not sure if power from the engine/chassis electrical simply operates a relay that then supplies power from the house batteries, or if the wire is fully powered from the engine/chassis electrical. The wiring diagram is not very clear on this.

2. Would the switch be pulling more power than the shorepower connected charger (i.e., the BatteryMinder 128CEC1) can supply? You didn’t mention if you actually have a router connected to the switch. But if only the switch, then I doubt it.

What I would look for instead is to confirm that your shorepowered BatteryMinder is actually charging your chassis battery. I mentioned in another post that mine does not always charge my chassis battery when connected to shorepower. If I connect to shorepower after a few days of sitting and the chassis battery is not already fully charged (e.g., below 12v), the BatteryMinder sees it as having a bad cell and won’t charge it. I have to remedy this by running the engine to bring the power up sufficiently for the BatteryMinder to start charging. Here's how you can check yours (best to check it if you already have a lower than full chassis battery as you mentioned above).

1. Rotate the drivers seat 180 so it faces backward.
2. Slide the seat towards the back of the rig
3. Now look under the seat from the front for the BatteryMinder status. Keep in mind there are 2 BatteryMinders there. The small one towards the front left drivers side is for the solar. You want the larger BatteryMinder towards the back.

Here's a picture of mine. Note, even with the seat back, it will still be hard to see all the buttons and display lights clearly, so you may want pull out your BatteryMinder manual for reference.

4. See if you see a red flashing light on the top right side. If your Chassis battery voltage indicator on your overhead master display shows a low battery and your BatteryMinder is flashing red, then it's not charging. (the picture above is after I reset mine so it's still showing a low battery, but it is now charging).
5. If you don't see a red light, everything is green, then look on the left side of the BatteryMinder display and make sure the charge rate it is set to 8amps. This was a suggestion from Airstream as some were incorrectly set to 2 or 4 amp charge rates at the factory.

Hope this helps.
WeekendBob, thanks so much for this very detailed response. you are an amazing wealth of info about this. I'll definitely look at these things. we do not have a separate router. our setup is the PEPWAVE BR1 MAX MINI LTE (purchased separately, not via airstream connected) and we use the wifi access point features to create our own local wifi network. I haven't had much time in the last 3 days to go deeper into your great suggestions as we are on day 4 of a cross country trip for the first time but will certainly do so when we touch down!!! thanks again. you rock!
BeachBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Bend , Oregon
Hi Weekend Bob, thank you for this information. I just got my 2021 van back from the dealer and they have done a direct wire power source that keeps the wifi router on all the time. So now I have to remember to unplug it because it stays on even in storage mode. They did turn on the big red key power source under the back drivers side ottoman. I am now looking under the driver seat at my battery minder and I see all green lights... and one blue blinking "desulfating" and one solid blue temp compensation. The amps are set to 2 AMPS and the battery type is set to WET/AGM/SEALED. I have battle born lithium. Is this the proper setting. I wanted to check to see if I should change my battery type before I change the amp setting. Any thoughts appreciated. Is the temp compensation a sign that my battery heaters are on? The dealer broke my on/off battery heater key switch so not it just turns all the way around. Hard to know if its on or off now. Just found this out this AM. Ugh. Thank you so much for the help.

All best,

Heather
Old 04-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Bend , Oregon
Quick follow up to my last reply ... After finding the battery minder under the front seat I went to find my manual ( batteryminder model 128CEC1 / 12volt) and write on the cover it says NOT FOR LITHIUM BATTERIES. Why would they install it anyway? Here is a link to the manual... its right on the first page.

https://www.batteryminders.com/content/SAFETY%20%26%20QS%20128CEC1-244CEC1%20RevA2%20010516.pdf

Old 04-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Quick follow up to my last reply ... After finding the battery minder under the front seat I went to find my manual ( batteryminder model 128CEC1 / 12volt) and write on the cover it says NOT FOR LITHIUM BATTERIES. Why would they install it anyway? Here is a link to the manual... its right on the first page.
Heatherbend, the BatterMinders are for charging the CHASSIS battery (i.e., the Mercedes engine battery), they do not charge the Lithium house batteries. The chassis battery is AGM, so that setting is correct, but you should change the charging amps from 2 to 8.

I wouldn’t worry about the Temperature compensation, that’s the charger’s way of altering the charge rate based on ambient temperature. Nothing to do with battery heaters which again, would be on your Lithium batteries, not your chassis battery. That’s unfortunate about your battery heater switch. Not really a concern as long as temperatures are above freezing, but I’d get that fixed before next winter.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:48 AM   #18

AUSTIN , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Heatherbend,*

Thank you.*
Where is the interior wiring harness in a 2021, airstream 27 fc twin bunk trailer. Installing a pep wave max and need to know where all prewire access is.
calvod28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Germantown , Wisconsin
Calvod28

I have a 2022 25FC Twin with Bunk on the way. Did you ever figure out where the wires come from the roof into the bedroom>
CandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #20

AUSTIN , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandK View Post
Calvod28

I have a 2022 25FC Twin with Bunk on the way. Did you ever figure out where the wires come from the roof into the bedroom>

I punted and did a from scratch install at the rear of the trailer and pulled the power and modem wires into the cabin then through plastic flex conduit and into the cabinet where the CD player is, installed the modem, wired it and powered it w a “hot” lead available in the wiring bundle inside the box housing the player. I dressed it up weigh stainless and plastic desktop grommets to make looked classy

Took a little work but the pre wiring from airstream was below the standards of my more advance PRP wave system. Online YouTube’s help a lot but you need to be handy with stuff. Otherwise pay someone
calvod28 is offline   Reply With Quote