Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
AI advice re: differences between model years

Hi folks...newbie here. I've decided to purchase a class B (or maybe have an outfitter build one up). Since I can't/won't spend $100K+, I'm looking at used Interstates (and other used class C's). I've searched the web and this forum, but I've been unable to find info about the different model year Interstates (MY changes and any known problems). Can someone here point me to a resource or write up what they know? Thanks in advance!

Purpose of the van:
Initially, our reasons for wanting a van are to make road trips (primarily to mountain bike) easier and more enjoyable for our family (2 adults, an 8 year old, an infant, a nanny, and 2 dogs). Specifically, eating and playing board games at table, storing food/drinks and preparing meals, heating up bottles for the baby, faster potty breaks, easier diaper changes, naps (by either adults or kids). We will sleep in hotels most/all of the time, although we’d like the option of sleeping in the van in a pinch. We also might want to use the van to prepare meals rather than always having to eat out. In the future (once the youngest is older), we will probably want to use it as a camper more often.
mbishop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome.

I am not sure exactly what your question is--can you clarify your priorities a little?

Do you need a primary transportation vehicle for all of those people, dogs, and gear?

Or do do you need a functioning RV for all of those people, dogs, and gear?

Would you consider a pickup or SUV and a pull-behind trailer, or only an all-in-one RV?

An RV that sleeps 5, with three of these being adults, plus two pets, plus recreational gear in my opinion is not what the Airstream Interstate is designed to do, nor is that their primary audience.

You can also find floor plans and info on the various model years on the Airstream manufacturer's website. Various Airstream dealers across the US will also have photos and descriptions on both new and used product.

Best of luck.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Thanks Piggy Bank...It will not be a primary transportation vehicle (while at home anyway). It will be used for long drives to get to mountain bike destinations, then we will either stay in a hotel or pitch a tent in addition to the van. We want passengers to be able to have more room to sit/lounge, eat at a table during the drive, etc., and a fifth wheel or trailer won't work for that. We will have the bikes on a hitch rack, so inside storage is just clothes, helmets, shoes, food, drinks.

Thanks for the pointer to the floorplans. I'd still like info about non-floorplan changes, reliability, etc.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I'm a fairly new owner, but did a LOT of reading about the various models, plus looked at a number.

Early on I was interested in a class C MB bars, but after looking at them etc, I. Decided a class B was what I really wanted.
I was looking at various floorplans- initially I liked the 'lounge' style in rear, but after more reading from owners I changed to the 'rear sleeper' of the older T1N. So far it has worked really well and very much glad I went with this model/floorplan.

(T1N is a little smaller, gets better MPG and less emission systems.)

From your description, the newer van sounds right- with the two front seats, two seats behind and more at the rear.
I would suggest going to the dealer near you (Covington, I think) and see how that Floorplan would work for you.

BTW, I've been getting average 25-26MPG - BUT so far only two people transported.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
If you are interested in the Airstream Interstate you can go to Airstream's web site and under the Service tab select manuals and it will take you to this page:
https://www.airstream.com/service/manuals/

Then select year and it will take you to a listing of all manuals available for each year. The owners manuals will give you a good idea of the equipment installed in each year.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We use our 2011 AI for roadtrips. It is a fun vehicle to travel in when everything works. This is not a "get in the bus and drive" vehicle. You will need to invest time to fully grasp the complex systems of these vehicles. It can be broken easily if you don't make the effort to learn how to operate it. It also helps to be mechanically inclined to repair the problems that arise. The Airforums is the single best place for getting help diagnosing and repairing the bus.
The biggest drawback as a travel vehicle is the rough ride in the back. Unless I hated my family, I would not make them ride in the rear lounge for long periods. Eating at a table or napping while driving would also be a challenge. If you can find one with full airbag suspension, pay the extra and be glad you did.
From the description of your intended use, you may want to consider an upfitted sprinter with air suspension and pull a small travel trailer. Things will get very close in a class B with 5 humans and two dogs. Good luck with your decision.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Thank you for the replies. Are there any known issues or big benefits with certain model years? I haven't seen any info like "stick with years 20XX and newer because of Y"...does that mean there isn't much difference?
Old 01-02-2017, 04:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Almost seems like you need a class c not a class b. In a class c one has more room inside forcwhatvyou seem to need. I don't think a class b interstate will fill the bill for you. Good luck on your search.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I agree that this sounds more like a Class C scenario than Class B.

However, if you decide you do want a Class B, and if you decide it should be an Interstate, I think you might be wise to choose a Sprinter NCV3-based Interstate.

The older ones such as those owned by Lotus and [my husband and I] have the advantage of having the big table that it sounds like you need and the Rear Sleepers also have more seat belts.

However, if you put that many people, dogs, and corresponding gear inside one of the T1N Interstates, I bet you'll exceed the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).

Of the NCV3 Interstates, then, logically you'd want to look for model years approx. 2008 to 2010 just based on your cost decision tree. For instance, right now on RVTrader, there's a 2010 with 27,500 miles for about $69,000.

Keep in mind that Interstates in the five-figure price range are more challenging to get. Furthermore, some sellers tend to mix up T1Ns and NCV3s that hover close to the model switch-over year (the last production year for T1N Interstates was 2007 but I see some 2008s on the internet that are actually 2007s mis-advertised).

Good luck!
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Talking

I'm going to take a stab at this. I had a similar question when looking for a class B RV a couple years ago.

I asked, which Sprinter chassis is most reliable in my price range ($50K-$60K) then what layout fit my needs?
I wanted a 3500 chassis (stability) and if possible, avoid potential emission problems of the first DEF emission systems. The emissions problems was a difference maker. It appeared to be the only consistent $$$ issue with the first NCV3 Sprinters.

Fortunately, after looking across the country, I found a 2010 3500 Airstream Interstate twin bed on a 2008 (non DEF) NCV3 Sprinter three miles from my home!

It's not perfect. I wish it had the Magnum inverter/charger...still have the Triplite (and battery charging issues) and no solar, but it's the best I could find and I look forward to reading about all I can do to improve what I have to fit my needs.
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurl View Post

It's not perfect. I wish it had the Magnum inverter/charger...still have the Triplite (and battery charging issues) and no solar, but it's the best I could find and I look forward to reading about all I can do to improve what I have to fit my needs.
You should get with Lewster during the winter when he's in Florida. He can take care of all three of those issues.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Try searching onecraigs, and study the pictures. You will know, when you see it. There are units with low miles. Read and educate yourself on this website. Remember...shopping is half the fun.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
You should get with Lewster during the winter when he's in Florida. He can take care of all three of those issues.
Thanks 73shark. That would be great! ... if it were not for the budget. Nice to know he is fairly close to me in the winter. He probably wants to work on his tan though.

Another point about the OP, remember when you look for an older B, you can't always spend $$ on cool stuff you want(like solar). My major expenses this year were tires and a tune up.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Another point about the OP, remember when you look for an older B, you can't always spend $$ on cool stuff you want(like solar). My major expenses this year were tires and a tune up.
My suggested strategy here is to explicitly divide one's entire budget into purchase price plus upgrading. So for example if someone has set an upper bound at $60,000, maybe they want to spend $50,000 on acquiring a rig but also plan for $10,000 in improvements.

I say that because anyone who is talking about what they don't like either before they buy a rig or just afterwards... that person is not likely to be satisfied unless they proceed with modifications. In other words they are experiencing no ignorance-is-bliss phase of ownership.

My husband and I were newbies to all of this, and we fell into the ignorance-is-bliss category for about the first two weeks of our ownership. Then we realized just how underdeveloped our rig really was, relative to how we wanted to use it. Fortunately we are both bringing in salaries and - critically - we live in an area of the country where cost of living is very low (in our case, rig plus house equates to less than what a lot of Americans are paying for a primary residence alone). So we didn't get stuck into the trap of having spent our entire budget on the rig itself and then realized with dismay that it wouldn't do what we wanted it to do - we were able to reallocate some disposable income (I actually call it investment income) to a flurry of DIY upgrades.

But this is a real risk for people who might go into a purchase not realizing the full extent of what they actually need in a rig. It would not be a good outcome to realize, oh shoot, I don't have the budget to improve beyond routine maintenance.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Great advice.

I wish, at the time of purchasing, I understood all the expenses involved in getting an RV to where it NEEDED to be safe and dependable.

Where I WANT it to be is a whole different story.

I do have to constantly separate needs from wants. I get carried away reading all the blogs, clever modifications and upgrades everyone does.

I want solar but need tires.

disclaimer:
It gets confusing when the entire purchase of an RV is a want.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I need solar if I am to live my target lifestyle of taking my business on the road at least part time. LOL I am perhaps guilty of exploiting the inverse problem to a certain degree. I may have started out wanting solar. But then to justify the expenditures, which are considerable especially when coupled with lithium, I re-tooled my business model such that it required me to use my big honkin' computer off-grid, which meant that I needed solar, and needed lithium.

Aside, and quote of the day: When I did my connectivity consult with Technomadia, Cherie mentioned that she didn't go onto the road with Chris right away. He went first and then she joined him some time later. Well, by the time she did, she had a big portable workstation quite like mine, with all of its out-sized energy demands. She said, "And for that first period of time on the road when I still had that computer, I ate the sun."

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to eat the sun.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks 73shark. That would be great! ... if it were not for the budget. Nice to know he is fairly close to me in the winter. He probably wants to work on his tan though. .................

Tan, what's that?????

Now that I have a shop and never get to work in the sun any longer, I'm seriously considering installing some of those 8' bulbs that they use in tanning beds.

Only problem is the 20'+ ceiling height..........😳

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote