Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Delray Beach , Florida
Sprinter upgrades for towing?

I will be towing a trailer with my 2017 AI and I am trying to research potential upgrades to the brakes, transmission, and radiator but it appears that there are none. I am guessing that as long as I stay within the weight limits, my AI has everything needed to pull a tow vehicle safely. Is the AI tow ready with upgraded components?
BocaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, what are you going to be towing?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
https://sprinterstore.com

I've been ruing Sprinters as my service vehicle since 2004. You will find many upgrades from these folks. Kong shocks and struts, Helwig rear anti-sway bars, rear suspension air bags, auxiliary transmission coolers.....lots of goodies!!

Also check out the Sprinter forums.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, what are you going to be towing?

Same as you, a 23ft Airstream. I'll be right around GCWR with some minor modifications to the base weight.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
I guess I also want to know if I can add a rear camera to my trailer to work with the one already on the 2017 AI. If not, what third-party camera do you guys recommend. I'm hoping to just use a wireless one if I can't add another to the stock one.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Best to stay within the rated tow capacity of the AI because no matter what suspension upgrades you install, the weak link is the drive train, ie, engine, tranny, brakes, and differential.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaDad View Post
I guess I also want to know if I can add a rear camera to my trailer to work with the one already on the 2017 AI. If not, what third-party camera do you guys recommend. I'm hoping to just use a wireless one if I can't add another to the stock one.
I install the Voyager wireless system on Airstream trailers a regular basis. No complaints from the owners. I use on on my 2011 Sprinter and it works very well.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Best to stay within the rated tow capacity of the AI because no matter what suspension upgrades you install, the weak link is the drive train, ie, engine, tranny, brakes, and differential.

I'm just asking since tow packages usually consist of more than just adding a hitch, harness and wiring. It also includes larger radiators, larger oil and transmission fluid pans, larger brakes, and stiffer suspension. The Sprinter with the factory tow package has no such upgrades, so I researched dealer upgrades but found nothing, so here I am. Either MB is generously equipping all their base sprinters with heavy duty components to carry and tow 15,250 lbs (about 10k more than the lightest Sprinter), or they simply equip all Sprinters with standard duty components and look forward to all the bills we will be dropping at their service centers to replace all those standard duty components when we pull GCWR on a regular basis. I'm thinking the latter.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Sprinter upgrades for towing?

Quote:
I'm just asking since tow packages usually consist of more than just adding a hitch, harness and wiring. It also includes larger radiators, larger oil and transmission fluid pans, larger brakes, and stiffer suspension. The Sprinter with the factory tow package has no such upgrades, so I researched dealer upgrades but found nothing, so here I am. Either MB is generously equipping all their base sprinters with heavy duty components to carry and tow 15,250 lbs (about 10k more than the lightest Sprinter), or they simply equip all Sprinters with standard duty components and look forward to all the bills we will be dropping at their service centers to replace all those standard duty components when we pull GCWR on a regular basis. I'm thinking the latter.

I think US pickup trucks offer tow packages that actually increase the vehicles tow capacity. Mercedes does not offer such options as the 3500 Sprinter van used by Airstream is already designed to carry and tow more that any other van on the market. It has been reported by one dealer that Mercedes will be offering a 4500 version of the Sprinter later in 2017.

https://sprinterguy.wordpress.com

It will have a GVWR over 12,000 lbs. The RV manufactures in USA have been after Mercedes to offer such a vehicle for a few years. Not sure if this heavy duty Sprinter will be in van body or just in the cab chassis used to make Class-C motorhomes.

No matter what after market equipment you add to a Sprinter based Interstate you don't want to exceed the weight ratings for obvious safety issues.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Other than swapping out some components that lewster mentioned, Sprinters are a VERY closed system. Only a few of the Sprinter models have a 7500# tow rating. The majority clock in at only 5000#. It used to be that Mercedes-Benz did NOT allow ANY modification to the Sprinter frame. NO welding, cutting, drilling etc. Builders could bolt on "stuff" but, that was it. Earlier this year, I heard that ONE vendor was able to get permission from MB to go beyond just bolting on (sorry, I don't remember which builder). I had a 2010, high roof, extended body Sprinter (just a cargo van). It had the 7500# tow rating. I used it as a tow vehicle for a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer (think Airstream in fiberglass). I was VERY happy with the Sprinter and, actually looked at getting a 25' Flying Cloud. The Airstream dealer I spoke with said flat out that, in his opinion, ANY Sprinter would NOT be suitable for towing a 25' (or larger) Airstream. He said he'd be happy to sell me a 23' Airstream but, did NOT want the liability a larger Airstream could pose. I know there are people towing 25' (or larger) Airstream trailers with Sprinters. Over the long term, it would be interesting to see how towing a bigger Airstream would affect the reliability and longevity of a MB Sprinter. It would also be interesting to see how a Sprinter would react and handle in an emergency situation while towing a big Airstream. Many vehicles can pull a trailer. Stopping and controlling a trailer in ALL situations is another matter.

PS: I brought my Sprinter to a MB / Sprinter dealer every 10,000 miles for the MB recommended service. Yes, it costs more than a private shop but, the peace of mind was worth it to me. I did join the Mercedes-Benz Club of America. The MB dealers I went to all extended a 10% discount (I had to ask). I think the new Sprinters now have service intervals of 15,000 miles. MB has VERY strict requirements for motor oil. Even the Mobil-1 full synthetic oil commonly available did NOT meet MB specs (there IS a special Mobil-1 that's approved by MB; good luck in finding it!). The Owners Manual listed about two dozen "MB approved" oils and, NONE of those approved oils could be found in "normal" places. I found "Pentosin" oil online and, bought extra filters from MB.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
A man, a van & a can

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
I'm completely happy with my setup and I'm happy to hear that my sprinter is already setup as a heavy duty vehicle. It tows my FC23 very well in automatic but have to manually change gears once in a while when going up hill or merging into traffic. Regarding maintenance on the AI, is the generator and air suspension part of the Mercedes service or just the engine, brakes, and transmission etc? I'm sure it's in the manual but I'm too lazy right now to check.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Regarding maintenance on the AI, is the generator and air suspension part of the Mercedes service or just the engine, brakes, and transmission etc? I'm sure it's in the manual but I'm too lazy right now to check.
Since they're both Airstream adds, they would be covered by Airstream or the OEM warranty.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
ANY updates for 2016-2017?

Not thinking about an International, just a "factory" 3500 Sprinter. Might throw a mattress and porta potty in for day tripping. Just idle window shopping

Paila
Old 01-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The Sprinter Store in Tualatin, Oregon installed extra rear springs set, larger diameter rear and front anti-sway bars and Koni shocks on my 2005 Sprinter. It made a huge difference in towing. SprinterStore.com
Old 01-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Foiled Again, there's LOTS of information online regarding customizing Sprinter vans. You'll be limited by your imagination and your wallet. Had I kept my Sprinter, I would have liked to get the heavy duty aluminum shelving that FedEx had in their Sprinters.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote