Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sandston , Virginia
Congrats on the Bambi 16. We tow with a 2016 Highlander XLE two wheel drive towing a Bambi 22 foot FB. The dealer recommended the Blue Ox system. No problems towing up to 65 mph. We had a wired brake controller installed by a very reputable cargo trailer dealer. As a matter of fact, thinking about buying a new 2021 Highlander to replace the existing. Toyota is supposedly going to redesign the Sequoia for 2021. I'll look at one but don't like the gas mileage. You're going to love the Highlander with the Bambi! Best, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmca View Post
Getting a 2021 Bambi 16rb in November, but I am a total towing newbie. Planning to use a Highlander XLE (5000 towing capacity) as TV. Any recommendations on hitch? Is it ok to use a wireless brake controller?
Bob Altic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
2022 20' Basecamp
San Jose , California
I use an Anderson hitch with my Audi Q7 and 16’ Basecamp trailer. It was easy to install at home. Weight distribution is easy to set up and adjust (on a level surface - very important!) . I have enjoyed terrific sway control and a steady ride with this combination.
madmac157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Wapakoneta , Ohio
We tow our 19' 2020 Caravel with a GMC Acadia. Being fully loaded up with fuel and water and "stuff" we went to the CAT scale (highly recommend you do that at least once to get a feel for your weights) and we were under the max values for both the trailer and the total gross weight (phew!). The trailer's max weight is 5000lbs and the Acadia is rated to tow 5200lbs max. Our dealer installed the Blue Ox Sway Pro for the weight distribution hitch and also installed the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller.

We have taken the Caravel a few thousand miles so far including up and down the Tennessee hills with no issue. I had to trust my dealer on their recommendation as I hadn't really towed anything that large before. It might be overkill but I never have to worry about sway or proper braking or having undersized things. Our salesman had been towing and trailering for a very long time and while they offered other options he recommended the Blue Ox/Prodigy setup. I suppose if our vehicle had a pre-wired brake controller we may have gone another way but we have never had an issue with this setup and very glad we followed their recommendation.

Enjoy!
jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Blue Ox is a very competent hitch and performs well and so does the Equalizer though it is very much on the stiff side. Really they both are too stiff for the little 16' trailer. having now towed 1500 miles with the Andersen, it is probably the most forgiving and gentle hitch and yet it moves load and controls sway better than most. still there are some issues and there are many other good hitches. For a small trailer you want a gentle hitch. I don't thing anyone would describe Equalizer as gentle.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:26 PM   #25
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
Hitch and brake controller for 2021 Bambi 16rb

Brian:
What is the other issues you faluded to but did not elaborate on with the Andersen hitch? What is your thoughts with a 19' 4k single axle Bambi? I recall hearing that larger AS trailers other than the small Bambi's had issues with the friction material with larger AS models. I called Andersen before I purchased my Husky WD hitch but they stated there was a conflict with Atwood AS couplers and would not recommend them (liability?) last I checked. I was considering swapping out my Husky with the Atwood and wanted to weigh the pros & cons. A nearby Argosy double axle owner swears by it and I'm guessing he is also around 4k - 5k in weight. Did you have to perform modifications? Interested in your input.

Thanks
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Andersen uses a compressed neoprene bushing as the damping device and so it is subject to wear and needs to be replaced after some time. It also has a habit of squeezing out when tongue load is light and if it does you have to disassemble and reassemble the ball mount. Then there is the incompatibility with the Atwood 88xxx series couplers used on all Airstreams prior to 2019. This can be easily fixed but it is a hassle most won't want to fool with. The incompatibility has to do with the fact the Atwood design does not allow one to manually adjust the fork which holds the ball securely in the socket so there is sometimes excess play on many of them depending on manufacturing tolerances. The Andersen design is predicated on a tight ball fit.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote