Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
2 E-Bike Rack for Bambi 16rb

We just ordered our first Airstream Bambi 16rb and just bought 2 e-bikes we'd like to take with us on our new journeys. Can anyone tell us what options we have for the e-bikes as we would ideally like to not store them inside the Bambi as we know it will increase our weight and we'd rather not do that. Is there some way to put them on the rear of the Bambi, and if so, how???
I also don't understand what it might mean if we were to somehow get a rack that would go on the "A-frame" of the hitch and the significance of the "tow weight". Thanks in advance!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Wherever you carry them on the trailer they will increase the trailer weight. If you carry them inside it can be awkward but it is the safest since you can put them over the trailer axle. On a rear carrier they can have a negative impact on trailer stability with a light trailer and what can be heavy bikes. Over the tanks up front on the trailer with a rack you will have to lift them higher and you will increase tongue weight which may be a limiting factor depending on your tow vehicle.

You can also consider carrying them on your vehicle.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I just ordered 2 bike rack stand for my Bambi. The weight will be on axle and toward tongue. Will put lightweight bikes inside

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we installed the FIAMMA rack on our 22FB to hold our 2 TERN s10 ebike
be sure to replace the cast alum hinges on the AS body with SS welded ones

the cast ones will breaks easily

our pics are here
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ck-201721.html
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP'n Woman View Post
We just ordered our first Airstream Bambi 16rb and just bought 2 e-bikes we'd like to take with us on our new journeys. Can anyone tell us what options we have for the e-bikes as we would ideally like to not store them inside the Bambi as we know it will increase our weight and we'd rather not do that. Is there some way to put them on the rear of the Bambi, and if so, how???
. . .
Welcome to the forum!

Putting that much weight on the rear of a 16' AS is probably not within the design parameters of the trailer IMO.

Please read the "Out of Control Sway" thread for further thoughts and considerations:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ay-152451.html

Good luck.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
2 E-Bike for Bambi 16Rb

This was addressed by another member the other day. Keep in mind that most E-bikes significantly heavier than regular bikes. The Fiamma bike racks were the subject the other day, but they are weight challenged with regular bikes. Lots of carrying failures reported. I had a rear bumper and Fiamma on my Sport 16. I have not replicated the Fiamma bike rack program on my 19' Winick. The Fiamma arms breakage was a concern and are weight challenged for 2 bikes. I would not consider carrying an E-bike on a Fiamma bike rack

I have intentionally did not add a Fiamma to my 19' Winick AS. There are lots of lightweight folding bikes that can fit inside a TV available, minimizing space and logistics.

The advantages are easy access to rear bumper and rear storage compartment in addition to weight support issues and improved bike security. It is really a pain in the neck to access the rear storage compartment with the Fiamma rack installed too since it does not pivot vertically as with most receiver hitch mounted bike racks.

In summary, my first option is TV bike storage (offers more security and less struggle with bikes and increased weight associated with most E-bike designs). I would choose a receiver hitch to mount to front of TV as the second option, the third option is rear-mounted AS receiver, and my last option is the lightweight Fiamma AS option in retrospect. Good luck with your choice.
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFire View Post
In summary, my first option is TV bike storage (offers more security and less struggle with bikes and increased weight associated with most E-bike designs). I would choose a receiver hitch to mount to front of TV as the second option, the third option is rear-mounted AS receiver, and my last option is the lightweight Fiamma AS option in retrospect. Good luck with your choice.
Silverfire's second option about a front mount rack on the front of the tow vehicle would be my first suggestion.

While the front mount is not ideal, it will help with the load distribution. The downside is that the bikes will get plastered with bugs and road crud and they will be in view all the time.

E-bikes are pretty heavy so a roof rack on the tow vehicle might be a challenge to hoist the bikes up into the mounts.

If your TV is a pickup, a box mounted solution could work but it will use up a lot of your cargo space.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
I was tired last night and did not explain how I would carry bikes on camping trips. I used to put bikes inside my Explorer after taking out pedals. I never like putting bikes inside so I did research and I put both bikes inside my Bambi. It wasn't that bad. I put my Timberidge folding chairs on both sides of the 2 bikes. It would keep the bikes from hitting the bathroom door and closet door. but it would not stop the bikes from lurging forward if I attempt to do a quick braking. so I ordered a 2-Bike Rack Stand to keep bikes from moving forward. i am supposed to get the package tomorrow from Amazon. Both bikes are lightweight and would not increase cargo weight much. I would rather do this than putting bikes in my Explorer or rear of Bambi. The weight will be on the axle and little more toward tongue. It will NOT cause swaying. I might come up with an idea after doing this experiment.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Sport 16 bike rack

After looking at many options I decided to go the route that many van users to carry bikes. Simple, two fork mounts, non skid carpet pad. Two trips to Co, one to Florida, no issues. Bikes are secure, dry, and we can use everything in the sport 16 except the table without removing the bikes. One ebike and one MTB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190913_111830808.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	369761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190913_111923465.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	369762  

Name:	IMG_20190913_111909853.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	369763  
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Dorset , Vermont
We had a lot of problems finding a suitable bike rack for our specialized E bikes. We now have a 2020 globetrotter 23’ and had the Fiamma rack installed on it. Turns out it could not accommodate the weight of the 2 E-bikes… Frustrating!

We then discovered the Arvika... designed for Airstream. The rack fits above the propane tanks. Most e- bikes are heavy and difficult to load, but After checking numerous YouTube videos about loading e-bikes - we discovered a method that works best for us. We love the Arvika. You can also buy an attachment to allow you to transfer the rack onto your tow vehicle. Made it extra Handy when wanting to drive to bike route.
http://www.arvika.ca/en/travel-trailer/
226TuckL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Homosassa , Florida
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYRM7MM...osi&th=1&psc=1

I saw this tongue mount bicycle rack on an Airstream and really liked it. Keeps things out of the way. Let's Go Aero Jack-It Double Bike Carrier System
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we installed the FIAMMA rack on our 22FB to hold our 2 TERN s10 ebike
be sure to replace the cast alum hinges on the AS body with SS welded ones

the cast ones will breaks easily

our pics are here
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ck-201721.html
Thanks Waninae39! Is this something the dealership would do since I certainly don't have such expertise? Do you think it would work the same for our 16ft. Bambi? Thank you!!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
If considering ebikes, definitely pay attention to weight limits on racks. Ebikes can range from 40-55#. If you are like me you never want to carry the maximum weight for long distances.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYRM7MM...osi&th=1&psc=1

I saw this tongue mount bicycle rack on an Airstream and really liked it. Keeps things out of the way. Let's Go Aero Jack-It Double Bike Carrier System
I called eTrailer about this. said that this would not work with Airstream because the bike rack is not easily removed for turning on propane tanks. This would not work with Airstream but I though it would work like you did.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP'n Woman View Post
Thanks Waninae39! Is this something the dealership would do since I certainly don't have such expertise? Do you think it would work the same for our 16ft. Bambi? Thank you!!
The flamma bike rack requires to be mounted on bumper and rear part of Airstream. It adds weight to the rear which may result in improper weight distributing that leads to swaying.

I thought about this but I would have to buy a bumper which also adds weight to rear. I would have to reduce the cargo weight which I do not want.

Try the Arvika.com.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Park city , Utah
Front mounted hitch

Consider a front mounted hitch receiver and rack. That way you have a means of transporting the bikes for day trips etc. I have a fiamma mounted on the back but two problems. 1) They break easily where the rack mounts to the Airstream and Fiamma support SUCKS. They left me stranded on my very first trip with a brand new rack. and 2) We dont have an easy way to transport to trail heads etc.
Danecoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Even on a short Bambi, I would be afraid of the extra load causing rear end "sag" or separation. That is where the frame separates from the "C" channel, floor and the quarter panels.. Very common on longer trailers that have been overloaded or rotted or both. I personally installed an Alabama hitch (under the front bumper of the TV) for a bike rack or trailer parking.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:44 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Dorset , Vermont
We used a Jackit bike rack on our 16 foot Bambi for about two years… It was fabulous for our road bikes. Once we got the E bikes it no longer worked. The Ebikes were too heavy and needed extra width that the Jackit could not provide. That’s when our search for an alternative rack began.
226TuckL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
I just got the bike rack to put inside the Bambi...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will put the folding chairs on sides to keep bikes from falling sideways against bathroom and closet door.

I will see if this works well for me.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we installed the rack on our as 22FB.
we had the bumper installed a year earlier

this is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails