Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Do I Really Need Towing Mirrors?

Howdy!

Towing a 2019 Sport 22FB with a 2013 Toyota Tacoma and I must say tow mirrors don't seem to add much at all.....

I think the distraction balances out the very minor extended field of view.

But as I understand tow mirrors are required by law but is there a number to put on this?

My Tacoma is 6'3" wide with mirror to mirror ~8'
Sport 22FB is 7'3" wide.

Simple physics is an extra 3" is not gonna provide much if any useful FOV. And again the distraction and possible expense/theft/damage factor makes me disinclined to employ them

Plus rear view camera may suffice for the law or does it?

Thanks,

Warren
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've towed without the mirrors before.
I still saw past the trailer on both sides.
The mirrors allow you to see farther behind you.
I prefer to use them, but the best addition was a rear view camera in the back of the Airstream.

Oh, and when you have them attached, watch out for bank drive throughs and other tight places. BAM!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Use the tow mirrors. Every bit helps.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
m.

Oh, and when you have them attached, watch out for bank drive throughs and other tight places. BAM!
Yep!

One of my concerns! A set of mirrors for a Tacoma are $300+ and the tow mirrors that seem to work $100 so that's $400 at risk.

Although I don't see myself going through drive through while towing any number of obstacles could inflict expensive damage and again simple loss/theft factor....

But are they 100% required and enforced by LEO's?

Thanks,
Warren
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
In Arizona the mirrors are required (Arizona Laws 28-956). The fine is $187.00

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My tow mirrors for the Tundra are CIPA clip on's and I like them a lot. No vibration, secure, look natural, and easy on/off. Best of all, they were $33.
If I were to nitpick, the curb side has a magnifying mirror, and it make cars 200 yards behind you seem to be alongside. It also make it hard to adjust because the smallest adjustment appears huge.

But if I lost them, I'd get another set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Although I don't see myself going through drive through while towing any number of obstacles could inflict expensive damage and again simple loss/theft factor....
I don't either, but I leave the mirrors on while on a trip. I actually forget they're there.
In tight places, you still can fold the mirror back with the stock one.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
If you can’t see your rear marker light when driving straight you likely have inadequate mirrors. The more you can see the better, and most state laws are written by how “close” to the back of the trailer you must be able to see.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
There are 50 states and 50 laws. Some are written similar. Some are written very differently. As far as legality goes, you need to know the laws for where you are traveling.

As far as "needing" additional mirrors for your truck, only you can judge that from your drivers seat. I wouldn't want to tow without a good set of mirrors that let me see all the way down the side of my trailer and then some.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
St Petersburg , FL
I recently swapped out the factory mirrors for tow mirrors on my Ram. Purchased from the local craigslist for $175 and sold mine for $150. These are the type that rotate up 90 degrees. 20 minute swapout and a no brainer. Night and day difference.
Al Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You need the mirrors. We run a voyager camera with a 7" screen. It is great. Really glad we made the upgrade. It helps tremendously.

The extended mirrors that we use are small, move a bit and only extend about 6" beyond the trailer. However, they give a clearer image at distance than the camera. The camera blends approaching vehicles into the landscape. The mirrors give you an image with enough detail to identify approaching vehicles at distance.

Theft? highly over-rated concern. Expense? part of the price of admission. Damage? this is a valid concern. If the mirrors are of a good design, they will not damage the vehicle. If you drive with attentive behavior, you will not damage the mirror or vehicle. Distraction? also a valid concern, but anything that provides you more information to drive safely is an aid and not a distraction. An attentive driving style is required to safely drive an RV. Being able to focus and not be distracted by information that you do not need until you do need it is a skill you must develop.

You mention an extra 3" as not being of value. That sounds like you are limiting your mirror width to 8"-6". Cal code allows you more.

From internet search "Lights, mirrors, or devices which are required may extend beyond the permissible width no more than 10 inches on each side. 35110. Door handles, hinges, cable cinchers, chain binders, and holders for placards warning of hazardous materials may extend three inches on each side of the vehicle."

Suggest you research to find the best (biggest) and most rigid mirrors for your vehicle and use them. This issue is just one of many that you will find to be a necessary accommodation to accomplish the safe use of your RV for fun and adventure.

Travel safe and with a smile. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
I'm with Mollysdad.
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I know of a couple instances last winter where people were ticketed in FL for not having towing mirrors. They did have side view mirrors, just not mirrors extended enough to see behind the trailer as is required by law.
The laws are different in every state. Why would someone not use extended mirrors. One ticket cost more than a set of clip on mirrors.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I have a Tacoma and FC 20 which is slightly wider than the 22. I bought the Dometic Aero 3 mirrors and highly recommend them. Extend them all the way out and you can see what you need even on the passenger side when the road curves. In that situation you would be driving blind without them. As far as being a distraction, it's like the first time you drive with a backup camera in a car. Seems like too much information but you learn to deal with it fairly fast.

Here's a picture, and I can say for sure, it's a lot more than a "very minor extended field of view". I paid about $80 on ebay.

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Also to consider,
We live in a litigious country.

If there should be an accident and you do not have standard safety related equipment, you open yourself up to liability.

You are already driving a trailer that is seen as aspirational by many. If you fail to adhere to recommended standards for safety of yourself and others, you won't get much sympathy from others.

You may feel you drive and tow just fine towing on the ball without sway control, tow mirrors, or keeping your speed to the recommended levels in the owners manual of your tow vehicle.

But if anything should go not as planned, would you feel you had done all you could to avoid any issues?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A rear view camera is the way to go, IMO. Combined with stock side view mirrors there is no blind spot at all and a complete view behind the trailer.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No, post #10
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Springboro , Ohio
Have a 22fb sport and a 2018 Honda Ridgeline, similar rig to the op’s. Towed all year with no additional mirrors but did have the airstream backup cam. Visibility is good due to the 22fb being relatively narrow and short. Constantly pondered the visibility question as I was towing, and never did it feel inadequate. The camera fills in the needed viewing info. If the camera died, I would still feel fine except for backing up.
Rubeyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Get the CIPA clip on mirrors. Much cheaper. Although I don’t think they are as good as regular towing mirrors. But I also have a BLISS system that warns me on my blind side. So between that, the rear camera, and the side mirrors I feel totally comfortable. I go through 2 hours of heavy city traffic (Milwaukee and Chicago) when I want to go east to visit daughter. Very easy to drive through it. I would have gotten the towing mirrors with my pickup, but they were a $750 upgrade with the Bliss system. The CIPA mirrors were about $50. Not a hard decision to make.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I installed a set of aftermarket towing mirrors that flip up way out to where I can easily see behind the trailer, then flip back to about 4” wider than OEM. Found online, but don’t remember where, sorry.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Do I Really Need Towing Mirrors?

My son was ticketed for not having towing mirrors. I think a CHP car was behind him and got irritated that he didn’t pull over to let him pass. I doubt if you would get a ticket for no reason, but if you can’t see what’s behind you, then that’s a reason waiting to happen. I have a rear view camera and towing mirrors. The rear view camera covers what is close behind the truck that the towing mirrors can’t see, but it is too wide angle to do much good other than that. A car 50 yards behind looks like a dot.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote