Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
With all due respect, the law says "at least 200". That means 200' is the upper limit, otherwise it would have said "at least 250".
IMO, the cone of visibility is from your mirror to 200' behind you. "200' or more" means you don't need to see the vehicle that's just pulled out to pass, but you do need to see one 1/8 mile back?
You can’t see directly behind you with mirrors. The law states you have to be able to see an object 200’ back and further, in the center.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #142
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
When driving a semi, I can never see directly behind the trailer. Same for when I'm driving my coach. While it might sometimes help to be able to see what the car back there is doing, in reality though it seems that knowing about the car immediately behind me is not nearly as important as the car that's either alongside my trailer or in my blind spot on either side. I'll usually know who is directly behind me without turning on my rear-view camera because I've watched them pull in via a mirror and didn't see them pull out.

I don't think that most drivers watch their mirrors nearly often enough. When going through driver training to get my CDL a while back I spent the first few days with a sore neck - they literally expect a driver to have their head pivoting back and forth that often. When making a lane change or merging on the highway, they also expect drivers to actively watch the mirrors, not just give a quick glance and go. Since you've got to also watch the road in front of you, this means your head is swinging back and forth quite a bit. If you have good mirrors and watch as you should, you'll know what's behind you without needing the rear-view cam.

Besides, I have heard of few drivers that have hit the vehicle directly behind them, at least as compared to initiating a lane change or turn not knowing who was besides the trailer or in a blind spot and then hitting someone.

Being able to see who is approaching the rear of my vehicle from a distance is important though, as that's the guy that's going to soon be approaching a blind spot. To me, this is where properly adjusted towing mirrors comes in handy. I can understand why they require a 200-ft distance.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #143
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The law or regulation that requires all TV screens to be off when backing is I think federal. If you have a aftermarket screen, of course it wouldn’t be linked to your transmission.

To repeat, you are supposed to see 200’ and more behind you, not between your bumper and 200’. You work is not done here ‘dad. You have it backwards.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #144
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Perhaps the guy driving 100 mph and weaving in and out of traffic wasn't ticketed because the officer on patrol had a RV pulled over and was checking his tow mirrors? I'm just sayin'
You're probably right! But since traffic cops tend to enforce violations as they encounter them, on occasion, other violations occur while tied up with the first one!

Traffic enforcement is like fishing...you never know when or what you are going to catch, and, unfortunately, sometimes a bigger fish goes by while you are hooked on another!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #145
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Okay, I see I offended some by questioning how often an RV gets pulled over for 'inadequate tow mirrors'. Obviously, it's a big problem and cops are not going to let offenders skate.
I learn something every day, who knew there was a law saying you had to be able to see 200' behind you (in an RV)
I violated my own rule, which is, never respond to a thread past 50 posts.
In for a penny, in for a pound. So I did my due diligence, and found, YES!, each state seems to have laws reflecting (no pun intended) tow mirrors.
Check it out.
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-mirrors/
I picked a typical one.

Some states didn't put a number on it, but those who did used 200'. I take "at least" to mean from 0-200' anything beyond 200' is not required.

Here's a test we should all do, based on the 200' rule. Go to a parking lot and pace off 200' behind your trailer. Can you see both mirrors? I'd bet "no". An Airstream is 8.5' wide. If your tow vehicle and mirrors is also 8.5' wide there's no way you can see dead center. In order to see 200' behind you, your tow mirrors need to be wider than 8.5'. (Sorry, it's just physics.) Is that legal? I saw on semis they are allowed to stick out another 10" in some states.

My former MH had those commonly seen rear view mirrors on arms. I can't count how many times a semi passed and I gasped at how my mirrors weren't knocked off. I've seen RV's were one mirror is broken off.

Does my rear view camera count as a mirror? Not according to the law.

Let the flames begin!
I hope you don't think you offended me!! You certainly did not! Gee. I have had people in my back seat questioning the marriage status of my mother at the time she was delivering me! And all I was doing was giving them a free ride to the local Inn... for some free meals and a nights rest, on a cot on the county dime! By the way... mom was married, so if they thought I was an SOB, mom was not the reason!

But for those who might be interested, everyone can easily estimate distances between vehicles on interstate highways. Each white dashed line measures 10 feet long; the 'empty spaces' in-between measure 30 feet long.... per federal highway requirements.

The beginning of one broken white line to the end of the next broken white line equals fifty feet, so eight broken lines between you and a vehicle ahead is just about 200 feet! Easy Peasy!!!

I just hope everyone drives carefully and keeps my associates out of any of their rear view mirrors... or camera's!!!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #146
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I think not. Feel free to cite a reference. As for my data point - all Tesla’s sold for the past several years have a rear camera that can be on while driving. It’s kinda nauseating on a 14” screen, but it’s there. Hundreds of thousands of cars sold in the US last year. From the factory, nothing aftermarket and no cheater software. Completely stock. Can’t imagine the Federales are ignorant of it. I’d be very intrigued to see a law that says it’s illegal - federal or even state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The law or regulation that requires all TV screens to be off when backing is I think federal. If you have a aftermarket screen, of course it wouldn’t be linked to your transmission.

To repeat, you are supposed to see 200’ and more behind you, not between your bumper and 200’. You work is not done here ‘dad. You have it backwards.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have tow mirrors and a rear camera on the Airstream. And I have BLISS. I don’t think one can be over prepared when it comes to being able to view the side and rear of what is going on around you. Rear view cameras are really inexpensive compared to the cost of an accident. It really becomes my rear view mirror. The only thing I don’t like about my rear view camera is night vision. Thus one change in the future will be a night vision. But we don’t tow much at night.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:43 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
With all due respect, the law says "at least 200". That means 200' is the upper limit, otherwise it would have said "at least 250'".
IMO, the cone of visibility is from your mirror to 200' behind you. "200' or more" means you don't need to see the vehicle that's just pulled out to pass, but you do need to see one 1/8 mile back?

You doubted me?
The importance of being able to see 1/8 of a mile back, or more, becomes important when an emergency vehicle is approaching you from the rear, with lights and siren operating. In most cases you never hear the siren until the emergency vehicle is alongside or has passed you. Being aware of an approaching emergency vehicle gives you the advance warning and ability to find a safe way to yield and move out of its path, where necessary.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:43 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Do I Really Need Towing Mirrors?

After 2 1/2 years . . . . . . how about ending the "analysis paralysis" and just answering this simple question?

Yes!

PS -- You can get through life without toilet paper too . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't imagine a law saying, "You don't need to see from your bumper to 200', but after that, you need to see forever."
No hard feelings, but I disagree.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It is physically impossible to utilize mirrors to monitor the area immediately behind your trailer.

Ever notice the sign on many 18 wheelers “If you can’t see my mirrors, I can’t see you”

Why would there be a legal requirement for a person to do something that can’t be done?

I have a rear view camera but that is a recent technology and there is no legal requirement for it.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #152
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Here is a federal regulation on video screens:
"§ 393.88 Television receivers.
Any motor vehicle equipped with a television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast shall have the viewer or screen located in the motor vehicle at a point to the rear of the back of the driver's seat if such viewer or screen is in the same compartment as the driver and the viewer or screen shall be so located as not to be visible to the driver, while he/she is driving the motor vehicle. The operating controls for the television receiver shall be so located that the driver cannot operate them without leaving the driver's seat."

Many states have similar laws. You can look up motor vehicle laws in any places and AAA has a lot of them.

As for the 200' rule, before video cameras it would be impossible to see between 0 and 200' without a mirror that can see around corners. The rule is for 200' and more.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Any motor vehicle equipped with a television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast shall have the viewer or screen located in the motor vehicle at a point to the rear of the back of the driver's seat if such viewer or screen is in the same compartment as the driver and the viewer or screen shall be so located as not to be visible to the driver, while he/she is driving the motor vehicle. The operating controls for the television receiver shall be so located that the driver cannot operate them without leaving the driver's seat."

Many states have similar laws. You can look up motor vehicle laws in any places and AAA has a lot of them.

As for the 200' rule, before video cameras it would be impossible to see between 0 and 200' without a mirror that can see around corners. The rule is for 200' and more.
Operative word is “television broadcast.” This means you can’t be watching the news or your favorite game show on TV while driving.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The monitor for my Haloview RD10 is identical to my rear view mirror (actually fits over it). It took some getting used to but I really like it, especially merging to my right. I didn’t really feel I needed it when I had my narrow body 31’ but the new(er) 27’ is a fat body (I know it is only 6” wider but it definitely seems wider still.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Exactly. And goes to show how dated that law is.

That said, some manufacturers have “gaming mode” or “video mode” on their screens and it either precludes operating while in drive, OR has a screen that can’t be seen by the driver. But backup camera is treated very differently and not illegal anywhere in the US according to multiple manufacturers (Tesla isn’t the only one, as my buddy demonstrated to me yesterday in his car - a 2021 BMW 7 series. And the VW ID4 as well). So either a bunch of manufacturers, including 2 of the biggest in the world, are breaking the laws, or it isn’t a law).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Operative word is “television broadcast.” This means you can’t be watching the news or your favorite game show on TV while driving.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #156
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
And the new Mustang Mach E may also have the ability to see the camera while drive.

Heck, now that I think about it, even my 2013 BMW displayed video on the display while driving - a “night-vision” video camera for animals and such. It was a joke, but again clearly shows that displaying video/camera images while driving is NOT illegal.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:

That applies to movies playing in the vehicle. I had a co-worker who had a combo radio/DVD player in his BMW. He got busted when a cop saw him watching a movie while driving. Rightfully so, and I told him he was an idiot, worse with the top down. You see minivans with screens built into the back seat for kids, legal.
But it can't apply to all screens or else a GPS would be illegal.

Quote:
No upper limit? I don't need to see the ambulance who's passing me 20' from my rear, but I DO need to see the semi a mile behind me?
Again, and I promise it's the last time, the law states I need to see in my side mirror from the mirror to "at least" 200'. 150' is not good enough, "at least 200ft.". 250ft. is better but the the law say it only needs to be "at least 200ft."

And I agree, you cannot see directly behind you. Nobody can. But my goal is to see as close to the sides of the trailer as physically possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55srax.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	393263  
Old 04-16-2021, 05:16 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Just read the law as written, and imagine what they are talking about. To see closer than 200’ the mirrors need to be further and further out. At some point they would stick out into oncoming traffic.

Probably took a subcommittee a year to figure out how to word the law, having conversations just like we are having here ��

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Guess we are aiming for a 3-year old thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
After 2 1/2 years . . . . . . how about ending the "analysis paralysis" and just answering this simple question?

Yes!

PS -- You can get through life without toilet paper too . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Guess we are aiming for a 3-year old thread?
By now the OP bought mirrors, went camping, traded up, and later sold it all!