Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Having tow mirrors is just part of the necessary equipment to tow a trailer - period!
You risk not seeing traffic behind you, what about seeing traffic quickly approaching before you change lanes, emergency vehicles trying to get around you, how do you back a trailer up without being able to see around it.
There are good factory or aftermarket solutions which will bring your equipment up to spec.

If your worried about cost then I have a pair of McKesh mirrors that I will sell you for CHEAP! PM me if interested.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
If you purchase a set of towing mirrors that are factory and are electric make sure they will work on your truck before you buy them. I bought a 2016 Ford F-150 and the dealer tried to install the them and they would not work. The dealer thought they were bad and ordered another set and they would not work either. After the third set the dealer call Ford tech support and found out that unless the customer computer in the truck is equipped for towing mirrors they won’t work. Could be the same for toyato.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
1Boyscout

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
You need the mirrors. We run a voyager camera with a 7" screen. It is great. Really glad we made the upgrade. It helps tremendously.

The extended mirrors that we use are small, move a bit and only extend about 6" beyond the trailer. However, they give a clearer image at distance than the camera. The camera blends approaching vehicles into the landscape. The mirrors give you an image with enough detail to identify approaching vehicles at distance.

Theft? highly over-rated concern. Expense? part of the price of admission. Damage? this is a valid concern. If the mirrors are of a good design, they will not damage the vehicle. If you drive with attentive behavior, you will not damage the mirror or vehicle. Distraction? also a valid concern, but anything that provides you more information to drive safely is an aid and not a distraction. An attentive driving style is required to safely drive an RV. Being able to focus and not be distracted by information that you do not need until you do need it is a skill you must develop.

You mention an extra 3" as not being of value. That sounds like you are limiting your mirror width to 8"-6". Cal code allows you more.

From internet search "Lights, mirrors, or devices which are required may extend beyond the permissible width no more than 10 inches on each side. 35110. Door handles, hinges, cable cinchers, chain binders, and holders for placards warning of hazardous materials may extend three inches on each side of the vehicle."

Suggest you research to find the best (biggest) and most rigid mirrors for your vehicle and use them. This issue is just one of many that you will find to be a necessary accommodation to accomplish the safe use of your RV for fun and adventure.

Travel safe and with a smile. Pat
I have been using CIPA mirrors over 38 yrs. I bought my current ones at Cabellas.
SAFETY FIRST,,!
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The CIPAs will not fit our TV, but they appear to be rigid and functional for those applications where they do fit. Not expensive either. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I installed a set of aftermarket towing mirrors that flip up way out to where I can easily see behind the trailer, then flip back to about 4” wider than OEM. Found online, but don’t remember where, sorry.
OK, found the source: www.1Aauto.com

They have a variety with different features that fits like OEM mirror on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma.

Mine are power operated through the OEM vehicle wiring harness, have defrost and turn signals that can connect to the vehicle. There are less painful to the wallet options from the same vendor...just have fewer features.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Echoing many earlier comments -- towing mirrors are the right tool for the job.

You won't miss them until your other tools won't do the job well, hopefully before you have an accident due to the lack of good mirrors.

Learning from one's mistakes can be painful and expensive.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"I bought a 2016 Ford F-150 and the dealer tried to install the them and they would not work."

I bought a 2017 Ford F-150, and more recently a 2019 F-250, both equipped with trailer towing packages that included Ford's electric extendable towing mirrors. Guess what? The mirrors are too short when fully extended! I can't see the rear side marker lights on my 2017 27FB. I can't see traffic immediately behind me. Yes, I have a rear-view camera on the trailer and the truck has blind spot alert, but they are not replacements for good side mirrors. Ford really should have made these mirrors extend far enough to see around a common travel trailer.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Since I started using a rearview camera I've never found myself saying "I wish I had towing mirrors".
Old 12-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Here is a digest of the laws from state to state from AAA. For many states it seems to be that you need to see at least 200 ft behind the trailer using the mirrors. Rear cameras aren't mentioned sadly.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
It's not really about seeing behind the camper, you would need mirrors that protrude 6' on either side for that. Check this out. https://www.lifesure.co.uk/blog/2013...-know-the-law/
There are plenty of aftermarket mirrors on Ebay for a good price. They don't have to be OEM.
CanyonMan
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I too use CIPA's on our 2015 F-150 and they are great - fit nicely, look almost like "original" mirrors and most of all give me a good view of what is behind me. The one, albeit minor, drawback is that some National Parks, i.e. Yellowstone in particular, require you to remove them if not towing - I understand why but it is a bit of a chore to put them on and off.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
It's not a matter of how FAR BACK you can see behind you, but rather, how near you can see a vehicle is following behind you. The further your mirrors project out, the more you will see what is right behind your trailer bumper. A small car or motorcycle could be entirely hidden because of the narrow angle of view. And if that vehicle is intentionally there, up to no good, it may be too late before you can react.

It is best to go with extended mirror as it is just as important to know who is behind you and how close they are....as it is in front or alongside!

Twenty years a cop and CSI provides me a little insight, especially when hauling my Land Yacht...with well extending mirrors!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
In Arizona the mirrors are required (Arizona Laws 28-956). The fine is $187.00
He is right about AZ
Since I had to replace my wrecked TV I had to change my mirrors on my new TV to be legal and it had a tow package on it.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Yes; isn't it worth the cost to help keep your AS investment safer ...?
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:04 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
My F350 had power extending tow mirrors. At full extension I could not see the right rear marker might on my 2018 27’.if I still had that truck I would put a mirror extension on the right side. The camera does help; as long as you can fully see the car you passed you can get back over. You will need the element of surprise though; if you signal a lot you will never be able to get over.

I stay right as much as possible even though my diesel has no trouble doing any speed I want. These days blocking even one car who wants to pass is not a good idea. Pick a spot, signal and DO IT. don’t dawdle.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I love the extending tow mirrors on my new F250. Push the button out. Push the button in.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Do I Really Need Towing Mirrors?

Really?....only if your towing.😂

Cheese & crackers got all muddy...a little common sense please. 👍

If not for your fellow travelers...consider your Family. 💑👪

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
It seems if you're are stopped by a LEO for inadequate tow mirrors, then you've been stopped by someone with nothing better to do.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Well.....

I got some Cipa brand and must say they are as big a joke as I thought!

Wiggle, won't hold position, I'm sure they will fall off in short order but meanwhile I can avoid a fine

Seriously they do provide a better view albeit jumpy

Thanks!

W
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Nothing better to do than insure the safety of all the motoring public? Try thinking beyond your hood ornament! It is just as important to be cognizant of traffic behind you as well as in front! Why....? So you can get out of the way of emergency vehicles approaching from behind.... enroute to, maybe, save someone's life or home. So you can merge back into a lane without side-swiping or cutting off another vehicle.... ever heard of road rage and what some drivers do when you drive like a fool?

How about being a responsible enough driver and equipping your vehicle so that officers don't have to stop you for not having common sense safety equipment?

Officers do have more important things to do. You know, like putting the big pieces of victims in body bags after they were killed by run away trucks they never noticed approaching from behind.

But since officers are charged with enforcing all traffic laws and some people don't have the sense to equip their vehicles to enable them to be cognizant of traffic around them, officers also have to address those violations.

So.... if you think officers should be handling more important matters, then don't waste their time by giving them cause to address what you consider a minor issue. After all, after you zip your first child in a body bag, knowing that it was a minor traffic offense that got them killed, you tend not to overlook the minor offenses either. I lost count of the number of body bags I have zipped. Interesting thing..... dead is dead, not matter if being slammed into from the rear, side-swiped, hit head on or the intentional victim of the road raged maniac you inadvertantly cut off because you didn't see them.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote