Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
hex

Question San Antonio Airstreamers ??

There is obviously a growing pocket of Airstream members in Austin and we have had a few comments on the area dealer there (Camper Clinic II in Buda).
Quite a few posts from the Houston area and a smaller number seem to be Dallas area folks.

I have noticed no postings or comments from San Antonio. Does any member have any experience with the dealer there?
Back in 1974 the dealer was Traveltown Texas. Have there been many dealer changes in San Antonio?
Inland Andy used to live there, but I don't know if it was before his Airstream days?

There is a huge RV dealership (Ancira) there, but I don't think they are currently an Airstream dealership if they ever were.

In fact the current dealer according to Airstream site is Airstreams of San Antonio Ltd.I wonder if that means they are Airstream exclusive??

How about parks there? Are there any to brag about?
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
San Antonio Airstream Dealers

The Airstream dealer from the early 60's to 1974 was Stahman Sales, and if I remember correctly their address was 3336 Austin Highway. They were across the street from a Howard Johnsons motel.

In 1974 Odine Stahman sold the business to Traveltown.

I worked for Stahman from the summer of 66 until October of 1969. I left to go to work as a Special Representative, for Caravanner Insurance Company, which was the insurance division of Airstream.

Purpose was to complete the flat rate manual, travel the country teaching Airstream dealers, "how to get it done," and as a licensed adjuster, settle most all the major insurance claims throughout the country.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up Andy

Andy... You are a man of many talants and experiances.

Hope you are a forum member for a very long time.

Regards... Wayne
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Andy,

Stahlmann is still in business, Traveltown is no more. I think Camping World absorbed what was left of them, their Lance camper line for sure and maybe Fleetwood, they even had a bunch of Shadow Cruiser slide-ins they bought when they closed shop in the late 90's. Stahlmann is a big Hi-Lo dealer and has always been on the cutting edge as far as their lines. They were an Award dealer until Award bit the dust, are real big into B-vans and Chinooks and carry a lot of the real pricey stuff like Freightliner cutaways, 4x4 class C's and the like. I still talk to a fella over there by the name of Gary Adams, an honest straight shooter, (except for the Hi-Lo Breeze I bought from him in the early 90's, it was Hi-Lo's first fixed side model, almost experimental in that they experimented on me, they stopped making it a year or so later).

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:54 PM   #5

I live 80 miles west of San Antonio (in Texas, 80 miles is just a hop, skip & a jump). A fellow A/S owner told me this week that there is a new dealer in San Antonio & he visited there last week. They have both new & pre-owned rigs. I hope to go tomorrow if the weather holds (& if I can talk my husband into it). He said take 90(10) east through SA like you're going to Houston, pass loop 410 on the east side of town, pass Ackermann Rd & it will be the next road AFTER Foster which would make it road 1516. If you would like an address or phone number, when my friend returns I'll be glad to contact him for you.
bjstewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Went to this new dealer in San Antonio a few weeks ago looking for parts for my 87 345 MH and they are a small dealership with very limited inventory and hopefully this will change, been going to South Texas RV on Austin hwy. as they carry alot of stock and even found the door latch for my motorhome which I had been looking for all over the internet...go figure !
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 06:41 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

We just came back to WI with a new 2003 25' Classic from the SanAntonio Dealership. They were nice BUT, Neither of the 2 Salesmen do any camping. We had never ever camped either. They do not have a place for one to camp for a night to "work out the bugs.." They didn't prep the furnice. When we tried to use it, the smoke detect. went off. We were sort of cold for 2 nights. Then we ran into the couple that had brought it from Ohio to San Antonio. They called the factory and we were told to start the furnice and let it go for 20 min. with the windows/door open. That took care of the awful smell. The box of tools they gave us was very inadaquate. Didn't even mention the water regulator. Thank God for wonderful people at camp sites and Camping World.
We still do not know how to winterize it. Will go to local camp store and ask them. Do I need a air compressor?

Thanks, Carol
Old 10-09-2003, 03:23 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The folks in San Antonio are new in the business. If you are looking for cheap, they are offering prices that no one has matched. It comes however at a price which is the service part of the equation.

I thought about it before deciding on my new Classic. I'm glad I stuck with my local dealer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Old San Antone

I stumbled across this old thread while "surfing the archives" which is sometimes more interesting than the current portal

I do not hear too much about San Antonio Airstreaming.
I recall that at the 2009 Vintage held there that the dealer from Buda (Austin area) showed up with resources.
Is there now no dealer in San Antone?

I can only think of two members here from SA and they don't post much at all or anymore. Monocoque and pablo.

I recall the old Howard Johnson's on the Austin Hiway. It had one of those IceCream shops out front. In fact I'm not sure it was even a motel at all. Is it still there? Are there still Howard Johnson Ice Cream shoppes anywhere?
Lotsa action on the Austin Hiway back then, Used to be a BBQ joint called the Bun & Barrell that I really liked. Best not mention some of the other "delights" in that area.

I'll be in Austin this weekend, maybe I'll swing home thru SA and drive the old strip. Like most fondly recalled things I suppose it has changed...for the worse.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Andy... You are a man of many talants and experiances.

Hope you are a forum member for a very long time.

Regards... Wayne
dd dragged this old thread up, and I just had to laugh at this comment...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We're not technically in San Antonio, but close enough to claim it as our residence when we are out of Texas. Who knows where Atascosa County is, or Jourdanton in particular?!

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hex View Post
There is obviously a growing pocket of Airstream members in Austin and we have had a few comments on the area dealer there (Camper Clinic II in Buda).
Quite a few posts from the Houston area and a smaller number seem to be Dallas area folks.

I have noticed no postings or comments from San Antonio. Does any member have any experience with the dealer there?
Back in 1974 the dealer was Traveltown Texas. Have there been many dealer changes in San Antonio?
Inland Andy used to live there, but I don't know if it was before his Airstream days?

There is a huge RV dealership (Ancira) there, but I don't think they are currently an Airstream dealership if they ever were.

In fact the current dealer according to Airstream site is Airstreams of San Antonio Ltd.I wonder if that means they are Airstream exclusive??

How about parks there? Are there any to brag about?
The Airstream site lists the Airstream dealer in San Antonio as:
Explore USA RV Supercenter
3115 sw Loop 410
San Antonio
TX, 78227
Telephone: (210)673-4678
Sales, Service, & Parts
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Looks like there are about 50 forum members in San Antonio according to the member search function...but not all are active.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
We just moved overseas after living six years in San Antonio, having bought our unit from Explore USA RV. We were about equidistant between the Boerne and San Antonio store locations, but worked closer to Hwy 90 and Loop 410 SW - their address.

Jon Zimmerman is the GM, and he personally oversees Airstream clients. We've had top quality support from the sales and service staff. We had some minor warranty work (bath leak and water heater), and Jon put his top tech on the task.

Frankly, the only limitation we see is they have no parts store. I have been very happy with them, and recommend the dealership.

Only bummer in this situation is the short notice move, and having to store the new A/S.

John W

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
San Antonio Airstream dealer

We recently purchased a used Airstream from Louisiana. Took it to the Dealer with a list of issues to be addressed. They repacked the wheel bearings, replaced a part on the water heater (solenoid). I had asked to check a leak in the toilet. Indicated they could not find it, but as soon as I got it home , hooked it up and it began to leak immediately. 11 days and $1000.00
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San Antonio , Texas
Hey y'all! We are in SA and had a hard time finding a vintage airstream. They just are not around here. Finally found one. Hopefully we will get to use it soon, we are doing a little work on it now. I heard there was a rally south of SA at Braunig Lake. It would be nice if there was a bigger airstream community.
Airstream76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
I purchased a used 23 Safari from Explorer USA in Boerne and they really went out of their way to make sure all systems worked and they even fixed interior hardware issues and installed a new battery. I would not hesitate to do business with them again!
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote