Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Lynn, Wait a few days and Ingrid (PINKFLAMINGOES) will tell us how the tape works on her window installs. ... Ed
Roger, wilco. Especially since Maria hasn't granted me leave from duty here at the park yet so that I can go to Taos and buy parts!

Lynn
Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bedding tape

Lynn, If you would like to have a sample of the tape that Ingrid and I are using on our windows just PM me with your home address and I will mail you out a piece so you can take it with you when you go shopping for some in Taos. Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Lynn, If you would like to have a sample of the tape that Ingrid and I are using on our windows just PM me with your home address and I will mail you out a piece so you can take it with you when you go shopping for some in Taos. Ed
Too late! I wound up going down to Taos this morning. Alas, there's not a soul in the whole town with any kind of bedding/glazing tape, so I wound up with a higher quality silicone stuff after all.

You know, it's nice to be in the back woods sometimes. But sometimes not, and this is definitely one of those times! (By the way, if anybody wants some nice, fresh elk poop, you're welcome to it! The whole park is covered with the stuff this year!)

Lynn
Old 02-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I'm planning on installing at least ONE window this weekend...report coming...
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ok, I'll be all ears! I was planning on starting later today, but the weather forecast calls for snow in the morning, so decided to hold off until after this storm.

Lynn
Old 02-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Sooooo, duh. Since I won't be working on the windows today, decided to run down to the local hardware store to pick up the poly sealant that I special ordered over a week ago (for our tail droop project). It wasn't there, and they inform me that they can't get such a product.

Ok, so back up and reboot. Just ordered three tubes of Vulkem and a roll of window bedding tape from Vintage Trailer Supply.

It's sometimes like trying to walk up a steep sand dune around here.

Lynn
Old 02-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Steep hills?

Lynn, You didn't think it would be that easy did you? Who would ever believe that where you are they would have the nerve to install steep hills or anything steep for that matter...LOL Let us know how you do on the window installs. Oh, by the way, I got an e-mail from Steve at VTS saying they are going to have the window clips by this spring for their new 1/8th inch thick windows. I need to get a bunch on order as soon as he has them in stock. Fyi Ed
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, cool! I'll have to order a bunch of the clips when they're in! I took ours off a couple of years ago and did what I could to remove rust and paint, but they're still pretty ugly.

It looks like Steve was pretty speedy about getting the Vulkem and bedding tape out! Boy, I look forward to getting some of this work done!

Lynn
Old 02-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Hey; I was going to install at least one window today, but the glass bar on the trailer still has broken off screws in it, we forgot to drill those out. It's dark now. But we removed all the rest of our windows and I'm cleaning them tonight, and we hope to get a window installed this week so I can give a report. As soon as I get more glue, more gasket.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
SUper duper! I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive. (Something about removing windowswithout having repair parts in hand that kinda bugs me.) Let us know how the new windows go in!

Lynn
Old 03-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
got glue, got gasket...

I finished gasket-ing ALL of my windows!! I also ordered replacement glass for the plastic one and the one I broke. I posted this elsewhere but...get a load of this:

If you order a window from VTS, and it comes broken, VTS only asks that you send a picture of the packaging and the broken window. Then, they send you an immediate replacement. They deal with the hassle of UPS. How's that for awesome service?

Now my husband is going to drill through the screw shafts that are left in the holes in the glass bar (I'm sure I'll blow it). Then, we install windows. Hoping for sunny weather this weekend so we can get windows in...

Then, we move on to ordering water tanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Hooray!

Progress.... Ain't it good? Glad you got the new glass. Let me know how your install goes! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
TomW and others.

The 1966 replacement window, can only be installed with silicone sealers.

The 1967 and 1968 windows "must" be installed with double sided tape that is available most any where. If you use silicone, the glass will fall out in due time.

The window clips must be made from a special metal, that is tough, and corrosion resistant. Ours have more then stood the test of time, and we have never received a single complaint of it's design, or it's absense of corrosion resistance.

The window clips that we have fit the framless windows as well. All you need to do, is squeeze them together at the opening, or install cork or double sided tape.

The tooling that Airstream had to make both sizes of window clips, was damaged beyond use or repair. We created new tooling to make the larger clip only, since it works equally well as descibed above.

Andy
AirstreamCentral
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:38 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
... The 1967 and 1968 windows "must" be installed with double sided tape that is available most any where. If you use silicone, the glass will fall out in due time...
That may not be true with the glass Steve offers. My general experience with using silicone sealers (RTV) on glass is that one better make sure the RTV is only applied where it is wanted because it appears to leach into the glass's pores during curing, and can never be completely removed after curing. I distinctly remember one of my old motorcycle's rearview mirrors being hazy around the perimeter due to me getting carried away trying to solve a loose mirror issue.

So, a couple of years ago when my Overlander's Corning Chemically Tempered, flat glass panels were leaking, I immediately whipped out the RTV. Even though the area had been meticulously cleaned & degreased prior to applying RTV from a new cartridge, the leaks were only stopped for a week or two.

To my surprise, I was able to pull the entire bead of RTV off the glass intact as it had only been sticking to the aluminum frame. There was absolutely no RTV residue on the glass. Chemical tempering must seal up the pores. Luckily, Inland Andy later posted that Parbond works for sealing flat glass panel leaks.

RTV does work for setting acrylic & Lexan replacement windows. My Overlander had an acrylic window (installed by an Airstream Dealership) on it when I got it. As the window was in bad shape, it was replaced with the better choice of Lexan. As the replacement Lexan window came with no instructions, it was mounted with RTV just like the acrylic window was.

Its coming up on three years since the replacement, and in spite of the Lexan window always being unlatched & open during ALL warm days, it has yet to fall out nor does it look like it is about to. Wouldn't matter if did though because the doggone window is all but bulletproof.

I agree with Inland Andy’s post if an original Corning Chemically Tempered window is involved. But the post’s content may not necessarily hold true for modern day replacement windows.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
This is a duplicate post, also in my cursed window thread.

Just went out and tried to install a window. Either the bedding tape isn't thick enough or the weather is cold and the tape/glass bar mechanism isn't holding the pane in, but once we get the screws in the pane pulls right out. What are we doing wrong? Screws went in fine, glass bar is in securely. Pane won't hold.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
1966 and 1967 windows, "MUST" be installed with thick double sided tape.

Doesn't matter if it's the old original window, or new glass window, or Lexan.

The 1966 windows can, unfortunately, only be installed with silicone sealer, since the hinge does not open up.

Andy
Old 03-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
1966 and 1967 windows, "MUST" be installed with thick double sided tape.
Andy
I would be ever so grateful if someone can tell me where to buy this particular tape and what it is called. I have tried sealer and bedding tape, so far no luck. This particular window is an original that I have cleaned and am trying to put back in. the slot it goes into is also clean.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #78
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I would be ever so grateful if someone can tell me where to buy this particular tape and what it is called. I have tried sealer and bedding tape, so far no luck. This particular window is an original that I have cleaned and am trying to put back in. the slot it goes into is also clean.
THe double sided tape is available at most any hardware stores, most grocery stores, Home Depot and the like.

!/2 to 3/4 inch wide by 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick.

Apply it to both sides of the glass.

Andy
Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
The window went in and stayed in and is nicely clamped. Thanks all...for helping me through my window curse. I must have done something good this year.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #80
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
The window went in and stayed in and is nicely clamped. Thanks all...for helping me through my window curse. I must have done something good this year.
But the year is still young.

You will have many more chances to do something nice, especially for your Airstream, I am sure.

Remember, Airstreams love that "TLC".

Andy