Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Glass replacement for Corning!

To everyone wanting or needing Corning replacement windows:

I am happy and excited to announce that Steve Hingtgen, owner of Airstream
Dreams, is now offering replacement glass for Corning windows. Rob Davis
and I turned over our information to him many months ago and we are
delighted that he has accepted the project. After extensive negotiations
with the glass company that will do the manufacturing Steve is now ready to
take orders. I myself just finished placing my own pre-order for a large
window! The prices are very reasonable, but the shipping cost is far below
what Rob and I calculated we could do it for. This is one reason we turned
the project over to someone already in the business of supplying vintage
replacement parts. Steve's business is a well run and smooth operation! AND,
as if this isn't enough, the first ten orders placed for each size of glass
gets a discount! Go to http://www.airstreamdreams.com/ for more information.

This is not something that either Rob or I benefit from financially, and
this posting is provided solely as service to those who have longed to have
glass instead of plastic for their '66 - '68 Airstreams.

Best regards to all,

Forrest McClure
Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Congrats gentlemen.

Forrest:
I'm sure my '66-68 A/S collegues join me in thanking you for hanging in with the project and seeing it to fruition. The hobby is much better off for your valiant efforts. GIVE THE MAN A RIVET!!! TWO WINDOWS WAY UP!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Thanks to Forrest and Rob for helping with this. It wasn't an easy job.

Steve used my Caravel as the model to document one of the three hinge types used on 66-68 Airstreams. This attention to detail told me he planned to do it right: with proper research and a set of instructions so that all of us could benefit from the new glass offering.

My pre-order for a small window is already placed. Nice job, Steve!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Forrest and Rob,

Too cool!!! I'm so glad that you two came through and that Steve can make it happen for all of us.

WOW this is just too cool.........
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Cool

Thanks Forrest and Rob. I can breath a little easier when working with and around the windows. I've already placed my order. This is great news...
silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Very exciting. Now I have to figure out the hinge thing...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Post Yippee for glass!

I can't tell you how exciting this is! Upon further inspection just this past weekend I discovered to my horror that I have another plexiglass curved window that I hadn't realized was there...I'll be placing an order just as soon as I go out to make sure there aren't any more that aren't glass. Thank you so much Forrest and Rob!!!!!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Just went out and measured and placed my order for a medium, large, and flat piece. That 25% discount sure helped. Can't wait for them to be made (the installation instructions look thorough too)...
Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Very cool. I think I'll keep my plexi window for now, but it's nice to know there's an option when the next one breaks.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
thank you for this

As soon as we get to that window, we'll definitely be ordering at least one, if not more. Such a relief to know there is an option besides corning or firing a blowtorch at Lexan!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Cool They're great!

Rob and Forrest,

Just got my 3 windows today and they are beautiful! Tremendous packing job too! Can't tell you how much I appreciate the thought of real glass instead that plastic waving in the breeze on my front window. Do you guys sell the glue to hold it in place yet or should I go to another source? Thanks again,
Diane
Old 05-03-2005, 09:36 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Can't wait to hear how the install goes. Now that the rest of my trailer is finished, I think a glass window to replace the scratched up plexi one would be the perfect finishing touch.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Diane,

Good for you! I'm anxiously awaiting my piece of glass. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. I will be using black silicone adhesive sealant. But I have a type 1 1966 window. However, I think it would work just as well on type 2 or 3. I prefer black because I think it is superior in all respects to clear silicone. Clear silicone contains no carbon, becomes yellow as it ages and as a result becomes more conspicuous than black. Since type 2 or 3 Phillips/Corning windows clamp onto the glass I think some people recommend a bedding tape, but I am not familiar with that, and it appears that Airstream originally used Dow Silastic (silicone adhesive). Likely, there is a wide variety of adhesives that will work. Just be sure to allow silicone adhesive time to set up before hanging the window. The last time I replaced Corning I covered the window opening with plastic and let the glass set up in the bar overnight. I clamped the bar upside down to let gravity hold the glass in place while the silicone set up. The next day it was glued in tight, and have had no problems.

Forrest
Old 05-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Rob and Forrest,

Just got my 3 windows today and they are beautiful! Tremendous packing job too! Can't tell you how much I appreciate the thought of real glass instead that plastic waving in the breeze on my front window. Do you guys sell the glue to hold it in place yet or should I go to another source? Thanks again,
Diane
Actually Diane, Rob (Mr. InsideOut) & Forrest aren't the ones selling the windows...they just located & worked with the manufacturer and AirstreamDreams.com to get them made. Steve @ AirstreamDreams is the one that sells, packages them and can probably answer your questions on the other parts & glue to install them. I know I saw some info on his website about different frame types and installation proceedures...we haven't actually done a replacement ourselves, our trailer is a 1964 so it doesn't have the Corning windows...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You beat me to the punch Forrest!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
This undertaking is just awesome! Thanks to all of you involved in convincing them to remanufacture these windows.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #17
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Corning glass reproductions

Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to read these forums very often so I didn't know this thread existed until Rob called me today.

So far, several dozen pieces of glass have been shipped out to Airstream owners. I'm looking forward to reports from the field in the next few weeks. As Forrest mentioned, there are three different types of hinges (or "glass bars"), and each requires a slightly different method of installation. I've tried to put some of the details on our website, but I can certainly help via email or even this forum if it is helpful.

Corning originally used silicone sealant to affix the glass in the bar. Now, nearly 40 years later, there may be better products available. One person has suggested using polyurethane glass adhesive like that used with modern auto windshields. I haven't had the time to do much research on the topic, so I can't recommend one over another. From what I have heard, glass falling out of the bar is not the #1 reason for loss of these windows, so that silicone did work well for decades.

There are grey silicones available and those might look the best. Look at your local Home Depot or corner hardware store.

Finally, thanks to Forrest and Rob and Rich for your work on this project. Nearly every reproduction part we make has been a collaborative project with fellow Airstream owners. It is really fun to see it all come together.

If you've got any questions, email, call (802-225-8940) or simply post a message and I'll try to get back to you quickly.

Steve
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, we are so excited to get ours! Steve sent the email about their pending delivery a few days ago, so we have two beauties to look forward to!

Lynn
Old 05-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRV
There are grey silicones available and those might look the best. Look at your local Home Depot or corner hardware store.
As was pointed out to me by others, the Silvastic 732 RTV sealant listed on Steve's website is still produced by Dow Corning. Here's a link.

I used an aluminum-in-color RTV from the local home improvement store when setting my Lexan replacement window last year, and have been extremely happy with the result.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AskGESA.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	11959   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEsilicone.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	11960  

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
That's what I get for not re-reading the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Actually Diane, Rob (Mr. InsideOut) & Forrest aren't the ones selling the windows...they just located & worked with the manufacturer and AirstreamDreams.com to get them made. Steve @ AirstreamDreams is the one that sells, packages them and can probably answer your questions on the other parts & glue to install them. I know I saw some info on his website about different frame types and installation proceedures...we haven't actually done a replacement ourselves, our trailer is a 1964 so it doesn't have the Corning windows...

Shari
Whoops! Sorry about that everyone! You know, if I had taken the time to look at names I would have noticed that it was Steve sending me all those emails from AirstreamDreams! Well, let me thank all of you involved in this venture. I especially have to thank Rob for being an advocate of a product that doesn't even fit a '64. Great job. I have written down all the info on the necessary sealant and will go to HD tomorrow and buy some. I still need to re-do the gaskets - I'm guess it would be prudent to do this before fitting the windows? Thanks again EVERYONE!!!!! Diane