Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
Pex

Hi all. It’s been ages since I’ve posted but I remember how helpful all of you are so I got a new one. Am I 62 safari the original copper plumbing is going. It’s cracking it’s leaking and I got a replace it. I’m going to do that with pecks tubing. I’m looking forward to the challenge. But I have a question. Is it possible that all of the copper tubing in the airstream is three eights inch but a couple pieces may be coming off the hot water heater or 1/2 inch? It looks that way to me. A couple of the tea connections look like they’re 1/2 inch in and three eights inch out. Please let me know what you think about this one.
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would (did) replace all of the copper with 1/2" PEX.
Easy to work with.
I used "Flair It" fittings which are easy to use and require no special tools.
Red PEX for hot water.
Blue PEX for cold.
It just makes, it easier to ID the hot and cold water lines.
I used braided stainless flex lines to connect all devices, ie water heater, sinks, toilet etc.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Like TG Twinkie said above, just use 1/2" PEX through out. From what you described, it sounds like you AS was plumbed with 3/8" copper, which is pretty small, but things like the water heater only have 1/2" fittings on them. So the inlets/outlets were done in 1/2" and it was then reduced down to 3/8". As you'll be doing all 1/2", its largely irrelevant.

As a side note, make sure you stick to one system. As a General Contractor, I've done both the expansion type and the crimp type, and have the tools for both. But most times, including my own home, I use the system from Home Depot.

Buying a system from a Plumbing supply house is more "professional", but some supply houses only sell to the trade, can sometimes be more expensive if your not a regular with an account and are very rarely opened weekends or past 5:00pm. Home Depots or Lowes or Aces are all over the country and usually stock the same parts.

Good luck and have fun.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
PEx

Thanks guys! I just left Lowes and loaded up. Not cheap but at least I’m gonna have water. Hallelujah!!!
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote