Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1959 28' Ambassador
Summerville , South Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 77
Hurricane evac prep disaster

This is more technical than social, but hurricane related posts seem to land here and I'm hoping for a quick reply regarding some tough questions.

Our trailer is in project status but I managed to get the shell riveted back on before the storm was even a threat so when it became one it didn't seem like a stretch to evac with it if necessary. This in mind I decided it would be best to find any problems before we were on reversed interstates headed for higher ground.

I took it off the jacks for the first time and test towed it last night. No real issues up to 45 miles per hour, Stopped to check bearing temperatures and do a walk around, and then I headed to the local flying J to gas up feeling pretty good about things. There was a stretch of road about a mile long that the speed limit increases to 55 and so I thought I'd see what would happen. Shortly after getting up to 55 I found out. The door blew open and nearly tore the top hinge off the trailer.

After limping in to the fuel stop I looked closer and noticed some buckling at the point where the door impacted the trailer. Upon closer examination and confirmed in better light this morning I found that the rib about 30 inches behind the door jam is "tweaked" in about a quarter to a half an inch.

I now have two pretty tough questions to ask;

1.) If the pale horse starts heading towards Charleston SC can I still get this trailer out?

2.) Before I start "coaxing" that rib back in to shape I need to know how feasible that idea is and what the best way to do it would be?

I've seen photos with plastic taped over a door opening due to a similar incident, but does that work and what should I know if I have to go that route?

I pushed on the rib last night a little and it flexed without a great deal of effort but returned to its new shape as soon as pressure was released.

I've been in over my head with this project since I fell into it and now I'm way past the point of no return. In other words I'm way over invested and anything other than a useful stage of completion is just not an option. Hopefully the storm won't make it close enough to be tragic, but I'll still have to deal with the door/rib problem.
jmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evac for Rita davespann On The Road... 4 10-27-2005 09:56 PM
Horrific Disaster Averted! Pick Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 7 05-06-2004 10:55 PM
Veneer Disaster...can anyone help??? tin can luv Interior Restoration Forum 16 04-05-2004 07:54 PM
The ultimate disaster - Airstream rollover ipso_facto On The Road... 44 05-07-2003 12:01 AM
Disaster Weekend davidz71 Our Community 11 07-03-2002 04:27 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.