Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
JUNKERS- Keep it, I wish I had!

Quality control? I drove some real heaps when I was young. They were cheaper than a late model used car or pickup and that is all I could afford. I worked weekends at a jewelry store to make money, at 15 1/2 years old, got my Social Security card and bought my FIRST vehicle before I had a driver’s license. These heaps, like some of the older Airstreams many on the Forum restored… will understand.

When I finished with them, they were beautiful and in those days 'chick magnets'. Well, sort of. The 1957 Ford pickup we would put lawn chairs in the back bed, while other young adults made their cruising in Cheyenne, Wyoming around the Capital building.

When the price bottoms out on an Airstream... it can only go UP!

My heap list:

1956 VW Bug (I was 15 1/2 years old) $395)
1964 VW Bug
1965 Plymouth Fury III two door (red with lots of chrome, lousy gas mileage)
1957 Ford 2WD drive pickup truck. I rebuilt engine in front of parent’s home.
1967 Ford Bronco, hard top, 4WD, Albany County Mechanics School body restored, I tuned the rest. ($1050)
1964 Corvette rag top with hard top for Winters in Wyoming. (sold it for $900)
1965 Corvette coup, all options, but Fuel Injection was removed by previous owner as it was hard to work on. ($1500)
1967 Corvette, 427, convertible.
1968 Corvette 350 coup.
1969 Corvette 427, tri power, convertible. (I was 25 years old.) ($3500)

Married in 1976. End of my Hot Rod Days. I paid $395 for my first and $3500 for my last. I made money on most. Today, these are considered high dollar, collectable, hot rods. When I had them, they were used.

Anyone who purchased an Airstream… keep it for as long as you can. As you will see above, many of these vehicles are beyond the budget of even an adult. Would I buy one of these vehicles today? Yes. A 1956 or 1964 VW Bug… I loved them and run circles around the other vehicles.

What is your story? I worked very hard to buy, sell and purchase these finds. Nothing was given to me. I paid out of my own pocket. I had fun.

I love our Airstreams. Never made a dime on any of them but worth every cent!!!