Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, it occurred to me as I am running errands this morning....

a friend who is especially sensitive told me he believed Doug wanted me to go west this year....you know who you are

I thought....what??!! I'm terrified of heights! I can't go West, I'd have to drive mountains!!

Here I am, going west......a guided trip into wilderness that I would never do by myself.....but not mountains.

Meant to be, apparently.

Maggie
Old 05-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Part of my spring cleaning routine is to move the appliances, vacuum and clean under and behind them.......done.

But for the front loader, which must only be cleaned around and behind, as it is physically impossible for me to pull it out.

To-do list is getting very short.

The ladies at the Senior Center needlework group are very sweet, but the talk of signing up for all these activities and having the bus.....you know, the one that says "Senior Center" on it.....pick them up at home, really throws me.

I think.....what!!???....the Senior Center bus coming to your house??!!

I am so not ready for that. This is not my life , I am just a drop in visitor on Thursdays.

I am really not a Senior, either....I just look like one.

Maggie

p.s I still am vermin free.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #223
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Maggie. Go and wear a "Director" name tag
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or one with an impressive federal-looking logo and the letters "USTP" on it in fancy print.

(United States Tax Payer) 😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
"Not really a senior......" -- I know what you mean. It is a state of mind, being old or not, at least to a certain degree. I feel the same.

Now that I'm on Medicare, I find I am a little embarrassed to allow people to know that (in person), anyway; I have been "carded" in recent months when using an Ohio senior discount card; I guess I am lucky that I look a little younger than my age. However, the real issue is............I don't think of myself as being my age! I still feel as though I'm in my, well, let's see, probably late 40's or so. It's hard to explain, but sometimes I am shocked when something happens which brings it to light for me.

My Dad, who is 98 1/2yrs., laughs and gets a kick out of it when I talk about being on SS and Medicare. He said, "I just don't think of you as being that old!". Although, I tell myself he is still thinking of my being his little girl. But, my Dad doesn't look or act his age either; most people are amazed when they hear, he appears to be perhaps late 70's or early 80's.

And, about Doug still watching over you and making "things" happen -- I am a believer! I think I mentioned to you before about the pact my sister, Roxie, and I had. Basically it was -- whichever one of us passed first, we needed to try our best to let the other one know that she (the passed one) is okay and it is okay where she is. My sister had been living with the effects of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and the treatments for 30yrs. when she passed. A significant event happened about two weeks after she passed, which she and I had early on been of a different mind about. About a month before she passed, she told me she realized we needed to do this and that she was okay with it (it was about another family member). The morning after the event happened, at 6am, I was lying in bed awake, and I heard Roxie's voice call out my name one time, very pointedly and strongly! She had only one vocal cord for years due to radiation, and I hadn't heard her full voice in a long time! She was reassuring me that everything was okay with her and about the significant event of the day before. I know in my heart that she watches over us.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice, Deb.

We are fortunate to have health and the ability to go and do.

I have some new growth on my whacked-back clematis, so it appears to have survived the spring assault.

Have moved furniture and done a deep clean today.....Spring stuff....and am waiting for the SteamGreen guys to get here to clean the ceramic tile that is about half of the little house.

Light colored, and I keep it clean, of course, but this is the first deep, professional cleaning since it went in 19 years ago, and I am excited to see how it comes out.

Have the Interstate back from the body shop, they really did a great job and at a very reasonable price. Front and rear bumpers replaced, some buffing here and there. Looks so much better.....it was appearing more than a bit road-weary.

Off to the cemetery in the am, and a quick visit with Doug's mom, Alice's recital Sat nite, meeting MsMoto in Galesburg Sunday on my way back, then to my son's for Caleb's birthday. Yikes!

I picked up custom orthotic levelers from my Chiropractor the other day, that I had ordered a week or so ago, and I think they are going to make a huge difference in my physical comfort and stamina. Have been struggling with hip pain, becoming a bit debilitating, in the leg a bit shorter than the other ...plus, have had surgery on both knees....and felt an immediate improvement upon starting with these.

They were recommended to me several years ago, I put them off because of cost, then finally decided it made no sense to continue without them. Very timely, now that I will be hiking in the wilderness!

We have 6 rigs so far, including Ray Eklund, for the rockdocking in July. I am really excited about this. The rocks, somewhat, but the Indian ruins, more........be still, my heart.

Going to make an easy, wandering trip out there......because, why not. After mid-June, there is nothing on my calendar til September.

SteamGreen is here.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The news is full of the death of BB King, who Doug loved.

We visited Preservation Hall in New Orleans on one of our first trips, and saw him in concert when he played here in Normal a number of years ago.

He performed so effortlessly, as if it took little to no thought.

Since Doug's death, whenever someone he thought highly of has died, I envision him waiting patiently as their spririt enters.....holding back, while they greet and are embraced by loved ones.....then coming forward, extending his hand and telling them how much he admired their work.

I wonder if it works that way.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Second and final ballet recital of the season.....successfully completed.

Emma, taught by a former Russian ballerina and recital in a grand, flashy and glorious style......Snow White, complete with glittering costumes. Fabulous.

Alice, taught by a student within the school of dance at the University of Iowa.......recital low-key, simple costumes, very artistic in style, and in interpretation of Alice in Wonderland. Very University. Lovely.

Alice, sound asleep as I write, in her own bed where she thrashes, talks, and turns all around in her sleep.

Driving early yesterday morning, I'm thinking..... who would have thought that I would end up doing the "Iowa runs"?. Stops still include a visit with Doug's Mom, now also one at Grace Hill cemetery. Left two red and one yellow rose at Doug's grave, which appears to have been leveled in preparation for seeding. Soon, it will no longer stand out as a "fresh grave", but be incorporated into this peaceful and beautiful old site.

Picked up those fabulous, breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches you can only get in the Midwest for our lunch yesterday and Louise ate every morsel. She looks very good, facial features smoothed out some and relaxed.....says she has finally stopped "fretting" over Doug's sudden death, and is working on accepting it as something she can do nothing about. Good.

Never in nearly 30 years have we visited that she has not talked of being one of 8 children in an Iowa farm family that survived the Great Depression. An exceedingly grueling and difficult time, that shaped her in ways we who have never, truly, struggled to survive can only imagine. That they had milk cows undoubtedly made an enormous difference in keeping something in everyone's bellies.

She is enjoying the companionship and good care in her Assisted Living facility.....which we all knew she would. That she was able to live alone until just short of her 97th birthday is pretty amazing.

Her mind wanders a bit, forgetting for moments who she is talking with and what we are talking about, but she gets around easily with one of those nifty, triangular, wheeled walkeers and is doing pretty darned well.

Meeting MsMoto/Tommie Lauer in Galesburg for a quick lunch on the way home, then Caleb's birthday and finally putting the little house back together after SteamGreen's activities on Friday.

Have definitely hit my wodow's stride, doing it all. One of those things you don't ask for, but then either sink or swim.

A new normal.

Up to 7 for the wilderness rockdocking trip in July.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #229
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
See you at McDonald's about Noon

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #230
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Miss Alice

After her first performance, with her Dad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	238572  
Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Had a very nice visit with MsMoto in Galesburg yesterday, then home for Caleb's birthday.

Lily was very happy to see me, .

Little house is put back together. Will have a couple of intense days here before heading to Grafton Wednesday to check out the Riverside Flea Market over the holiday weekend.

Am happy right now just to sip my coffee and be still.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Catching a moment

Yes, so very nice to have lunch with Maggie. Then I was off to South Dakota, Lennox, to be exact. Having arrived safely in spite of horrid winds, it is good to get back to Air Forums again.

Enjoyed lunch, Maggie!
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #233
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interstate is plugged into electricity, frig is cooling and things are getting pulled together for our little getaway starting tomorrow morning.

Will drive the always beautiful, Great River Road, down to Grafton, and am looking forward to that, as well as exploring someplace new.....also, the Riverside Flea Market Friday and Saturday. May find a pretty piece of glass for my front windows.

Have been "ridding out" these past two days.....of things I hold onto, just because. I try not to be a hoarder , but there is some part of me that mightily resists getting rid of certain things that are still good.....bath towels, clothing, shoes, etc. What is that. I regularly take things to Goodwill, but find it very hard to part with some things.

How hard is it to wear out bath towels, anyway. Impossible, really, unless you keep them for decades, even inexpensive ones. You get sick of looking at them after a few years, buy new ones, then what to do with the old ones. Only need a few for the dog's feet, but I keep them all, because.......they're still good!

Have put old-but-still-good towels away for grands who are rapidly growing up, will soon have their own places and need everything, but made myself take a huge bag of long unworn clothing and shoes to Goodwill this morning. Done. Gone from the little house.

I am waiting for the freeing feeling one is supposed to have when you do this......instead I keep thinking, I hope I don't need these.

I love my new orthotic levelers......go to bed at night without the painful hip and back I have been experiencing for months, but have found I have not a single pair of proper shoes....but for my Keen walkers....that they will fit in.

Have had them in a pair of beach shoes inside the house, but these are not really something to wear out and about.....look more than a bit web-footed, altho they are very comfortable.

The levelers have to go into shoes that have a removeable sole, so a nice lady at Carnival Shoes today took me quickly to a pair of rather streamlined, white Reebok walkers, that do perfectly with the inserts..... and don't scream out "orthopedic shoes".

These are going to greatly improve my quality of life, as I will now be able to wear the orhotics all the time but for the occasional need for a dress shoe.

Unseasonably cool weather here, but I always prefer cool to hot, so good enough for me.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #234
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
A Different Life II

Maggie,

I really enjoy your thoughtful, gentle daily journal entries. So glad to hear the Interstate is ready for your next adventure. Thank you for sharing a piece of your extraordinary life's moments with us....it is so refreshing to enter another's joy of daily life.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 Happy Memorial Weekend 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Happy travels,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

It really is just the most ordinary, everyday life, this widowhood, just written by an Airstream Interstate owner.....here.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
My insoles work well with Cobb Hill shoes. Made by New Balance. Nice styles that don't scream "old lady".
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #237
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that info.....I will keep that brand in mind.

See you and Roger ar Moraine View next month, Alice.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #238
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
So glad you have a good group of folks with whom you get to travel west. Yay!!!

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Page......me, too.

I'll be traveling west alone, but going into the wilderness with others.

Am looking at wide brimmed sun hats.....need something at least hand washable, with a strap, excellent UV protection, packable and would work for this (and other) trips in the Interstate....also Greece.

Kind of like what Solumbra has.....

Maggie
Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Check out Tilley hats. Washable, white canvas, unsinkable, crushable and comes with a lifetime guarantee. If you wear it out they'll give you another one and it is similarly guaranteed. I'm on my 3rd one and love it.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote