Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My son has found a few in my head, as well.

Not funny.

Emma, of course, slept in my bed camping last weekend, and I used my hairbrush on both our heads.

There is a first time for everything.

Maggie
Old 05-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
A personal blog is indeed about one's self and other meanderings. Although yours is about your life's happenings it is far from self centered. It does not read as I,I,I but reads as it is signed, Lily and me.

And its a lovely gentle read.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The only headlights you want are on the front of your interstate. I can still remember my son coming home from school saying that some of the kids had "headlights".
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You all are so good to me, and I appreciate it.

My head is coated in coconut oil, and I am next to be "groomed", sitting at the kitchen table in my son's house.

I don't seem to have too many, will hopefully avoid a chemical treatment.

Maggie
Old 05-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Pots de Creme went over very well, with fresh whipping cream on top.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2015, 05:45 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Head lice. How disgusting.

I seem to have a very light, but nonetheless present, case. I found this natural recipe online, so thought I would offer it up as most anything goes here, right?

"To a base of five teaspoons of Olive Carrier Oil (or coconut oil), add five drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil, five drops of Rosemary Essential Oil, five drops of Lavender Essential Oil, five drops of Peppermint Essential Oil, and five drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil. Add a small amount of regular shampoo to the mixture, and put this all over the hair - all the way to the edges. Leave this on for an hour under a towel or tight-fitting shower cap to prevent drips. Rinse the hair, and shampoo the hair. (Olive oil and coconut oil kill lice by "dissolving" their exoskeletons, and other oils will not have the same effect.).....rinse the hair with vinegar to loosen nits"

Combing and removal as per usual.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Never had the buggers, fortunately, also fortunately if I did I'd shave my head.

Good luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's what my son said.

He doesn't have them, nor do the two boys....whose heads he would also shave.

Just us women have it....and the neighbor kids, and who knows who else.

They seem to have just been getting underway on my head. I am mixing up a small bottle of this natural concoction and am going to do my hair again tonite.

Fun times.

Maggie
Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #209
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nuke and Pave.....

Clean the bedding! The little buggers hate steam.... so, we loaned our floor steam mop to our son and he 'steamed' all the bedding.... three times...

He then pitched all the combs, hair do-dads, etc... and steamed inside the drawers where they kept these items...

Then followed the above protocol you state, Maggie... and the problem was resolved.... until they visited some friends who don't steam, clean, replace, eradicate/nuke and pave.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I know.

I told my son and his what I learned in the past from the Health Department, also the practices my foster parents used when kids in their care came in with head lice or acquired it once there.

It can really happen to anybody. I have been exposed many times.....had other grandchildren who came here for a visit once and both the girls were full of lice.....but I never had it til now. Emma sleeping in my bed and sharing my hairbrush likely had something to do with that.

I vividly recall once transporting three children in protective custody to a foster home in the middle of the night. All three had head lice, had been capped when at the hospital for placement physicals, and I stopped at an all night Walgreens to get treatment supplies for the foster home they were going to.

2:00am, or thereabouts. Went thru the drive-thru, the pharmacist pulled them for me and sold them to me from there.

Those were the days.... I really did love my job, not so much the horrific bureaucracy of the SOI within which I worked.

Have I mentioned that I was a very good, conscientious and dedicated caseworker....but not a very good little bureaucrat? The stories I could tell......

I am so glad to be out of there. The quality of my life has steadily improved these past 7 1/2 years.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After a trip to the health food store for a couple of essential oils I did not already possess, I treated my head again and believe I am now vermin-free. The recommendation is to comb thru every day and repeat the treatment in 7-10 days, which I will do.

Interstate going into the body shop for a couple of spa days, which will spruce her up a bit and resolve a few long-standing boo-boos. The front bumper on these rigs hangs very low, according to Doug, and is easily injured by rocks and curbs. Has been looking pretty rough.

When mine was ordered, they were on back order with 17 ahead, so it is apparently something oft-replaced and we are not the only owners finding this area vulnerable. The second replacement on mine.

Oldest grandson on Doug's side graduates high school in a couple of weeks, and is going to college. Got him a nice sum, fitting for graduation and his upcoming 18th birthday, on a Best Buy gift card, and will encourage him to apply that toward a decent laptop.

12 year old Caleb goes into Junior High in the fall.....where he is required to have his own laptop. Is that not wild? When I was at my son's on Sunday, 10 year old Camden was writing a video story, I think, complete with pictures, within a program on a laptop. Their dad is a programmer and writes software, so........

We have had a tremendous amount if rain here, now it is fall-like cool for a few days. Gives the AC a break, but the windows remain closed to keep out.....the humidity.

Going to try to get some things done today that do not have to do with head lice.

Maggie
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #212
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Miss Maggie... I overheard one of the teachers say.. "Well, as long as the internet is accessible from their laptop, they can't say "the DOG ate my homework"...

Guess there is method to the madness.. also, they track all the kid's online activity and data mine it and sell to 'advertisers'... but of course, the do not 'track' the IP's.. riiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhht.....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Channing.

I guess there are advantages for the parents, too, with everything online, in terms of monitoring schoolwork, grades, etc.

School supplies ain't what they used to be.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My drive to soldier on, thru whatever has capsized my life, serves me well with regard to functioning, doing, getting thru, etc., but moments occur that remind me very quickly that I am still grieving, still a bit raw, still very much adjusting to the loss of my beloved husband and life partner.

I don't cry often this days, but experience frequent twinges when coming across something Doug.....his clothing I haven't yet been able to deal with, the cordless drill we bought that I now use, his favorite beer at the grocery store, anything that reminds me of him, really.

i indulged in carry-out the other day and ran into a woman I have known professionally since 1982. A good, good human being, one with the required, functioning moral compass , and who became a pillar in child welfare during her career. She never compromised doing what was right for what was politically correct.

She expressed condolences on the loss of my husband, tears immediately filled my eyes and we talked a bit. Good to receive the comfort, good to acknowledge the grieving that is a process and not an event.

I have said this before......it has helped me so very much to have found acceptance and trust that Doug, our bond and our love, is still here, just different than before. It comforts me every day.

I am going to share one story....there are more .....from December, which I shared immediately with our children, as particularly his need comfort and I want them to believe.

"I have promised your Dad to do what I can to help his children and grandchildren believe his spirit and soul live on, even though his body has died.

I wanted to share a story with you, that assures me, again, that this is true.

Before I headed to Iowa for your Dad's funeral, I went into our small, local jeweler to have my bracelets and anniversary ring cleaned/checked. I saw a small, sterling silver medical alert charm, which I had them print "warfarin" on the back, bought a long chain, and put it around my neck.

A couple of weeks ago, picking up clothing items for the youngest Hayes children, I was looking at those memory charms you see everywhere....sterling silver and 70% off. I had hoped to find a rose to add to this chain....your Dad was all about the roses, you know, from our first date.

Didn't find a rose, but a claddagh and then a rather open-weave heart, and felt those were what I was supposed to find. 70%off. Bought them both, strung one on either side of the medical alert charm.

I woke up a couple of morning later to find the claddagh next to the heart and the medical alert charm to one side. Could not figure out how that could have happened, the chain strung THROUGH each of those.

Took it off, restrung them with the medical alert in the center. Woke up a couple of mornings later and the medical alert charm was again to the side, the claddagh next to the heart.

I decided this is how your Dad must want them, he the Irishman, next to my heart. I left them as they were and they haven't moved again in 12 days or so.

There are a few other things, but this was the biggie. I believe your Dad is and will stay close to those he loved. I talk to him, ask for his guidance, and believe he gives it to me.....and occasionally sends little signs that he is around,

He would want you to believe the same. Your Dad loved his children more than life itself.

Be well, and believe. "

I found a rose charm in January, placed it in the center, as the heaviest, and told Doug to leave it there.....they were all symbols of him and us, but the rose was the heaviest and needed to be in the center. They haven't moved.

I wear these around my neck all the time, touch them sometimes and talk to him. I feel he is pleased these mementos lay close to my heartt.

Just wanted to share.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2015, 06:02 AM   #215
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, thanks for sharing. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Roses and Paris seem to be the thing in recent months......things with roses find their way to me as do Paris motifs....our 20th anniversary trip in 2012.

I have to ration the frequency with which I go into TJMaxx and Tuesday Morning, as I love pretty things at bargain prices.....when I do go, I invariably find something affordable that brings a smile to my face and reminds me of my sweet hubby.

Roses on sleepwear, a small toiletry kit for the trip to Greece in a few months, and yesterday a beautiful, giant, heavy, porcelain mug with lightly etched Parisian motifs. Bought it. Mine. Drinking coffee from it as I type.

I like to think he leads me to things that remind me of him, to let me know he is there.

Without those comforting thoughts, that he cares for me in death as he did in life, I would not be doing so well, I am absolutely certain of that.

A good man, who loved me deeply....warts and all, as we would say.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 AM   #217
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Thanks for sharing. Very touching and spot on.

Thanks

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #218
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Maggie -

We are glad to see your Part II thread - thank you for all of your wonderful ideas (yumm - Bread AND candles!) and thoughts. Having two dogs, one of which has been with me through a great many trials and tribulations, we enjoyed the photo of Lily! Being married to a chiropractor, we also are believers in B supplements and have found quite a difference since taking it.

We have talked of making a trip to the UP, it would be wonderful if we are able to meet up with you somewhere along the way.

Keeping you (and Lily!) in our thoughts,
Jenn
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

I would love to meet up and visit with any of you, so don't hesitate to reach out.

Looking at the map, I may check out Chaco Canyon after the wilderness rockdocking adventure with Ray Eklund in July.

It is close to where we will be, and easy enough to get to on my way home. Photobum has really piqued my interest in this place.

I had not planned a long trip this summer, but a long trip seems to have found me.

When the stars align, you pay attention.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #220
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Y'all have made such a difference in my life, and I thank you.

Maggie